Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I believe there have also been positive tests at the Whirlpool plant in Amana, Quaker and Collins in CR and the Rock Island Arsenal in the QCs.

In all cases that I've seen, it appears the person was going to work while infected, so those areas should expect wider spread.

This is where a shelter in place is needed.

Also, this seems like a very small number:

At Iowa's current infected number (173) and a 20% hospitilization rate (not the same as vent rate...) and a doubling every three days - we are ~8 days from needing that number.

This is basically exactly what I've been saying. Did we need to close these retail stores / malls? Yup, no question about it. But that should've been done last week. By not doing so, the spread continued.

Businesses like the one you just mentioned and countless others are still furthering that. I do not think she's realizing that everyone can't work from home, but when she says "let your employees work from home", she acts like that's how every company now does work.

I've said from the start that we should've shut everything non-essential in Iowa once they did the bars and restaurants because sooner or later, it's going to happen anyway. We're basically taking things on a week by week basis and trying to slow this thing down is just going to take longer and longer to do.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I work in manufacturing and wonder if this will close these businesses as well, or if this is strictly retail?

We are construction, but with a showroom, so we're going to talk about it, and see if they provide more guidance and detail, as none of the things listed today fit us. Nothing up yet on the Iowa Health Department website though.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Here's some numbers: The first confirmed U.S. case was on Jan 19th. He returned from Wuhan on the 15th, so we'll conservatively say that is when the virus started in the U.S. It was likely well before that. That was 71 days ago. Assuming it doubles every 3 days, we should be around 8-9 million cases in the U.S. So either the rate of spread statics are significantly flawed, or the fatality rate and % of cases that require medical attention are extremely low.

That is with a start date of January 15th. It was likely in the U.S. before that, maybe as early as late December.

I'm starting to wonder if the virus isn't that deadly it's just infecting an incredibly high number of people in a very short time span resulting in a high number of deaths in a short time span.

Or, for some reason the growth rate was stunted for a while.

This is all possible and makes sense, but the doubling factor is more noisy and unpredictable the further you go back toward the initial case. And to get a "steady state" starting point for doubling, we are likely into a period where significant closures and things had already started to occur, so I don't think a doubling rate in the US can be compared to that of other diseases in which we carried on business as usual.

It could be that the virus is more communicable and widespread than we thought. In that case it's less deadly in terms of on a per infection basis. But again, as we've seen elsewhere in the world, the mortality rate for this disease step changes once/if a region overwhelms medical resource capacity.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Realistically? There's no way kids go back to school this school year. Everyone should be planning for that

They shouldn't go back. But Trump told the Govs today (in a letter) that they are revising the social distancing standards soon and will have county by county data. Now, there is no ******* way that they have enough county by county data at this point to do this, but that won't stop Trump. I bet most of Iowa gets in the clear and Kim will start school back up April 13th.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
They shouldn't go back. But Trump told the Govs today (in a letter) that they are revising the social distancing standards soon and will have county by county data. Now, there is no ******* way that they have enough county by county data at this point to do this, but that won't stop Trump. I bet most of Iowa gets in the clear and Kim will start school back up April 13th.
If this happens i honestly think we will see widespread sickouts.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If the death and cases toll keeps rising rapidly like other places, which it likely will, I can't see how someone could go through with opening things up that soon.

Never know, but that would be a very, very unpopular and stupid thing to do.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If the death and cases toll keeps rising rapidly like other places, which it likely will, I can't see how someone could go through with opening things up that soon.

Never know, but that would be a very, very unpopular and stupid thing to do.

They want things open by Easter. I don't know that I trust Kim to defy Trump.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They want things open by Easter. I don't know that I trust Kim to defy Trump.

I'm gonna predict that the situation will be way more dire by then and they'll have to extend things.

Some are treating this like it's some sort of weather front that will have just a few days of bad stuff and 'blow over' but that's not how this works and it's unfortunately going to take some really, really rough waters to get them to act accordingly.

Just like the ACTUAL instance of cases blowing up took some action after it was reported to be in control when it first started over two months ago.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The people I know who work in the crapids district have been quietly saying this is the feeling on their respective staffs. I'd say 10 or so teachers i know have told me that.

My uncle is a HS Principal. They're already figuring out how to do an online commencement and have told their teachers to get lesson plans ready to be online the rest of the year (even though they can't legally make kids do anything).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I know a lot of people who work in schools. There's absolutely no way they're going back this year in Iowa. None. It is extremely unpopular across the entire political spectrum.

Reynolds has already been way more aggressive than Trump on this, and I just don't see her re-opening schools unless this is just magically gone in two weeks. Which it won't be.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My uncle is a HS Principal. They're already figuring out how to do an online commencement and have told their teachers to get lesson plans ready to be online the rest of the year (even though they can't legally make kids do anything).

In WI they've waved the standardized testing as it's logistically really difficult.

I think some form of instruction or at least 'up keep' of academics should take place to make sure people are putting work in, but I wonder how much rigor will really be implemented in a situation like virtual learning that's going to be really rough to get going anyway.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not interpreting the letter in the same vein as some others:
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/26/8220...er-to-governors-on-new-coronavirus-guidelines

Agreed. Fauci, who is absolutely credible (I don't believe a word of Trump's mouth FWIW) believes we will have the ability to institute wide scale testing in parts of the country by mid-April, and if they can mass test/trace, they can start isolating the sick and opening things up for those who aren't.

This is what South Korea did, right? This is where we need to get to and we clearly aren't there yet, but it doesn't read to me at all that Trump is going to attempt and force governors to open everything up on 4/15. Hell, he can't do that anyways.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Agreed. Fauci, who is absolutely credible (I don't believe a word of Trump's mouth FWIW) believes we will have the ability to institute wide scale testing in parts of the country by mid-April, and if they can mass test/trace, they can start isolating the sick and opening things up for those who aren't.

This is what South Korea did, right? This is where we need to get to and we clearly aren't there yet, but it doesn't read to me at all that Trump is going to attempt and force governors to open everything up on 4/15. Hell, he can't do that anyways.

And opening and closing specific aspects from the national level would be colossally stupid. I know some people want to go full New York City on Iowa, but the situations could not be more different.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If this happens i honestly think we will see widespread sickouts.
I don't. By all accords, kids are very unlikely to display symptoms even when they have it. This would lead to a huge spread of it to people they encounter (the entire population).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron