Chili recipe ideas...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Wife sent home for a month, I was sent home Wednesday for Wuhan so thought I'd make a chili.

I have zero exciting ideas - who has an interesting chili recipe? I'm beef but will always entertain a nice white chili idea with chicken...

Reactions: Cdiedrick

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Wife sent home for a month, I was sent home Wednesday for Wuhan so thought I'd make a chili.

I have zero exciting ideas - who has an interesting chili recipe? I'm beef but will always entertain a nice white chili idea with chicken...

Whats Wuhan?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm a firm believer of stewing beef over ground beef. But I do trim excess fat and cut it up into smaller pieces.

Onions, peppers (optional) in the skillet browned with the beef.and add the chili seasoning.

Add to a large pot with some tomatoes (I like the fire roasted ones from Aldi). Beans (I like a mix of chili and black beans. A couple cans of beef stock

A couple beef bouillon cubes and black pepper for additional seasoning. More chili powder is optional as is a bay leave or two. Be sure to remove them before serving.

Cook slow uncovered stirring often for 4+ hours. When reaches the desired thickness cover and reduce heat to lowest setting until ready to serve.

PS: I've also added mushrooms for some variety. Definitely a plus in my book.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I've never measured anything in my chili and I doubt I've ever had the same ingredients in there each time. I normally forget something and improvise.

I'd prefer stew meat versus ground beef, but other wise any random combination of beans, beef, sausage, bacon, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, fresh garlic, chili spices, celery, beer, mushrooms, peppers (I've used jalapenos, habanero, ancho, chipotle, dragon, bell) and let it sit for 4-8 hours.

I like adding a second protein besides beef to help complement the flavor. Deer and bison work well.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
If you have a smoker, it's quite tastey to make chili on the smoker. Saute the veggies in a cast iron pot on the stove and add the tomatoes and anything else you use. I use a ceramic glazed one but they can get stained with smoke. I have also read you dont want acidic foods in unglazed cast iron for long cooks but I know people make this chili using them. Make a large meatball or use a roast and put it on a rack over the pot on the smoker letting the drippings fall in the chili. It doesnt get overly greasy and has a nice smoked flavor. It is called over the top chili and there are multiple recipes of you search the interwebs.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If you have a smoker, it's quite tastey to make chili on the smoker. Saute the veggies in a cast iron pot on the stove and add the tomatoes and anything else you use. I use a ceramic glazed one but they can get stained with smoke. I have also read you dont want acidic foods in unglazed cast iron for long cooks but I know people make this chili using them. Make a large meatball or use a roast and put it on a rack over the pot on the smoker letting the drippings fall in the chili. It doesnt get overly greasy and has a nice smoked flavor. It is called over the top chili and there are multiple recipes of you search the interwebs.

That sounds delicious... I'm doing stew meat and ground beef. Black beans, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Onions, garlic and red peppers. I usually use the extra fatty ground beef for the texture but I'm stuck with the lean Costco stuff.

Also using cayenne for a little pop but I usually need a bolder taste - so maybe some jalapeños or similar.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
4 lbs chuck roast cubed
1 onion
5 guallijo peppers
1 chile de arbol
6 ancho chiles
chile powder to taste
cumin to taste
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 packet mexican hot chocolate (add this after a few hours)
1 cup coffee (add after a few hours)
1 tbsp red pepper
8 cloves garlic crushed

Do it, it's incredible. Yes, no tomatoes in a REAL Texas Red.

Typically, this is like a gravy consistency. Add water at any time if needed. Brown meat, add onions and garlic salt and pepper. Chiles can be fresh or dried. If dried best flavor comes from smoking them in a fry pan on medium low heat for a few minutes. Grind chiles into paste with blender or mortar. Add all dry ingredients after meat has been browned. I cook mine on low covered in a cast iron skillet for 3 or 4 hours.

Lastly, this is NOT rigid. A Texas Red Chili is classically made with whatever the hell was on the wagon while driving cattle across the range. Traditionally, a Texas Red has no tomatoes because it was not something that Cooky would typically have at his disposal, but of course if you want tomatoes go at 'er. The cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate are all flavors that traditionally used in Mexican cuisine.

Guajillo peppers have a fruity awesome flavor, while the anchos add a deep undertone with amazing flavor. Neither are overly hot. Add any other spicy pepper of your liking to kick it up to 11. I add two jalapenos, and some ghost pepper salt to give it a real WAHOOOO!

1 more tip, you may smoke the chili to get that flavor, or another easy trick that will give you similar results is to add a few drops of liquid smoke. For really authentic Mexican flavor, take the seeds from two jalapeno peppers and roast them in the oven until somewhat blackened. Grind into a powder. Add to blow one's mind.

Last edited:

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
4 lbs chuck roast cubed
1 onion
5 guallijo peppers
1 chile de arbol
6 ancho chiles
chile powder to taste
cumin to taste
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 packet mexican hot chocolate (add this after a few hours)
1 cup coffee (add after a few hours)
1 tbsp red pepper
8 cloves garlic crushed

Do it, it's incredible. Yes, no tomatoes in a REAL Texas Red.

Typically, this is like a gravy consistency. Add water at any time if needed. Brown meat, add onions and garlic salt and pepper. Chiles can be fresh or dried. If dried best flavor comes from smoking them in a fry pan on medium low heat for a few minutes. Grind chiles into paste with blender or mortar. Add all dry ingredients after meat has been browned. I cook mine on low covered in a cast iron skillet for 3 or 4 hours.

Lastly, this is NOT rigid. A Texas Red Chili is classically made with whatever the hell was on the wagon while driving cattle across the range. Traditionally, a Texas Red has no tomatoes because it was not something that Cooky would typically have at his disposal, but of course if you want tomatoes go at 'er. The cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate are all flavors that traditionally used in Mexican cuisine.

Guajillo peppers have a fruity awesome flavor, while the anchos add a deep undertone with amazing flavor. Neither are overly hot. Add any other spicy pepper of your liking to kick it up to 11. I add two jalapenos, and some ghost pepper salt to give it a real WAHOOOO!

1 more tip, you may smoke the chili to get that flavor, or another easy trick that will give you similar results is to add a few drops of liquid smoke. For really authentic Mexican flavor, take the seeds from two jalapeno peppers and roast them in the oven until somewhat blackened. Grind into a powder. Add to blow one's mind.
This sounds absolutely delicious and something I'll be trying soon.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I would make Chili with left over brisket. Since we can salsa in the fall, we just use a jar of that instead of going to all the work of adding onions, peppers, garlic, etc. I will go back and add chili powder to spice it up. I've also added a tablespoon of bacon grease it before. Some people add corn, I will add about tablespoon of sugar instead.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
White Bean Chicken Chili

2 TBS canola oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 lbs. chicken breast, cubed (salt and pepper the chicken after cubing)
2 cloves minced garlic
2 TBS chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
4 tsp dried cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
4 C chicken stock
1 15oz can of Cannellinni beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can of Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped
Shredded jalepeno jack cheese

In large pot over medium-high heat cook oil, onions, celery for 5 minutes.
Push onions and celery to sides of pot and add chicken, cook for 5 minutes.
Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne, cook/stir for 2 minutes.
Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes.
Stir in beans and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in cilantro.
Ladle into bowls, top with cheese.

I prefer my chili a bit thicker, sometimes I'll sprinkle in a little flour towards the end of cooking to thicken if necessary.

This recipe never fails.

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I would make Chili with left over brisket. Since we can salsa in the fall, we just use a jar of that instead of going to all the work of adding onions, peppers, garlic, etc. I will go back and add chili powder to spice it up. I've also added a tablespoon of bacon grease it before. Some people add corn, I will add about tablespoon of sugar instead.

Be careful. Smoked brisket chili makes all other chili taste like crap. Seriously.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
That sounds delicious... I'm doing stew meat and ground beef. Black beans, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Onions, garlic and red peppers. I usually use the extra fatty ground beef for the texture but I'm stuck with the lean Costco stuff.

Also using cayenne for a little pop but I usually need a bolder taste - so maybe some jalapeños or similar.
It is very yummy, the most recent time I made it, last fall, I used a chuck roast. I've found that when using a roast it takes a lot longer to get the meat to the temp desired than a meat ball. So a lot of liquid cooks off of in the pot and sometimes need to add more.

I took a picture last time I made it so I'll throw that in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200313-161552_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200313-161552_Gallery.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 23

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
If you want to add more of a kick add some hot sausage and spicy V8 to your ingredients. Also some Rotel too. I've also done some chili with beer in it

I've been using Spicy v8 for about 10 years after a friend at work suggested it. Great way to add some spice and flavor. Sausage is also better then ground beef.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Reactions: cstrunk