*** Official TCU Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Grill made some great plays but he's still a non factor on offense, it's not a coincidence the offense struggled with both he and Jackson on the floor in the 2nd half, especially when Bolton sat. He's the defensive version of Lewis. It worked out last night thanks to playing a really bad offensive team, without their 2nd leading scorer but against teams that can score, he's going to have to contribute on the offensive end. Right now, he's getting by on being an amazing athlete, I don't really expect huge strides offensively but he's gotta give us something.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
View attachment 70414

I disagree with you on Nixon being our best option and we should start and play him. He's a dud. He's ok on defense, but look at those numbers on offense. 1-10 shooting (and none of them were good looks) and 4 registered TO (I'd say he is responsible for Young's TOs). AND THOSE STATS DON'T REFLECT HOW AWFUL HE WAS.

The worst part about it is his performance did not come as a surprise to ISU fans. It may have actually been expected. Thank you for being a cyclone, Prentiss.

Prohm has the tough task at finding the right PG for the job. The only knock on Prohm last nigh was leaving Nixon in, but who else do we have? He tried to use Bolton last night, but he's turnover prone and a ball hog, too. Jackson is too good of a shooter to have him as PG.

Am I crazy to say we should give Grill some run at PG? Probably, but his effort last night was impressive and something clicked. I trust him to do his best at distributing and I'm not cringing the whole time that he's going to heave up trashy shots. If he is any good at Pick&Roll with a drive/kick, START HIM NOW. I don't know if he is though.

We have hope for the future with the freshman, Bolton, Young and Conditt. They played tough.
You contradicted your own post. You said he's not the best option, and that he's a dud, then said "but who else do we have." Then listed reasons why Bolton and Jackson can't play pg, while suggesting a guy, Grill, who will never be the primary ball handler in his 4 years at Iowa St.

Yes, Nixon has sucked at shooting all season, but look at it objectively, last night was his worst night since tyrese got hurt. Before last night, I would argue his best games of the season were when he was the primary ball handler. Bolton also had his worst night since Tyrese went down, no one is looking to replace him.

The only logical change up is letting Jackson take over the point, and playing Grill at the 3. Which I am completely fine with, but also knowing it will come with some awkward offensive possessions. A young inexperienced pg, setting up an offense that is lacking any offensive firepower at the 3.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Grill made some great plays but he's still a non factor on offense, it's not a coincidence the offense struggled with both he and Jackson on the floor in the 2nd half, especially when Bolton sat. He's the defensive version of Lewis. It worked out last night thanks to playing a really bad offensive team, without their 2nd leading scorer but against teams that can score, he's going to have to contribute on the offensive end. Right now, he's getting by on being an amazing athlete, I don't really expect huge strides offensively but he's gotta give us something.

They've got to find a way to get Grill to slow down offensively. It's like a race to get the ball out of his hands as quickly as he can. The majority of the time he's dribbling away from the basket.

Good athlete with potential, but man they've got to get him to see the game a little slower-- which I'm sure comes with time.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I love Lewis and his offense, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we get way worse defensively when he's on the floor. I'd like to see a lot more of Grill to see if he can't get his offense going. We need Prentiss, but I think he needs to embrace the point guard role, and look to create shots for others more than for himself.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
View attachment 70414

I disagree with you on Nixon being our best option and we should start and play him. He's a dud. He's ok on defense, but look at those numbers on offense. 1-10 shooting (and none of them were good looks) and 4 registered TO (I'd say he is responsible for Young's TOs). AND THOSE STATS DON'T REFLECT HOW AWFUL HE WAS.

The worst part about it is his performance did not come as a surprise to ISU fans. It may have actually been expected. Thank you for being a cyclone, Prentiss.

Prohm has the tough task at finding the right PG for the job. The only knock on Prohm last nigh was leaving Nixon in, but who else do we have? He tried to use Bolton last night, but he's turnover prone and a ball hog, too. Jackson is too good of a shooter to have him as PG.

Am I crazy to say we should give Grill some run at PG? Probably, but his effort last night was impressive and something clicked. I trust him to do his best at distributing and I'm not cringing the whole time that he's going to heave up trashy shots. If he is any good at Pick&Roll with a drive/kick, START HIM NOW. I don't know if he is though.

We have hope for the future with the freshman, Bolton, Young and Conditt. They played tough.

Yes, you are crazy. Grill's ball handling is no where near good enough to be a PG.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I love Lewis and his offense, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we get way worse defensively when he's on the floor. I'd like to see a lot more of Grill to see if he can't get his offense going. We need Prentiss, but I think he needs to embrace the point guard role, and look to create shots for others more than for himself.

Part of the issue with TL is, it seems when he comes in to the game, Griffin often comes in as well. They both really struggle on defense and having them both on the floor can get things out of sync really quick. I think you can say the same thing about the offense with Jackson and Grill. I really liked Jackson's 2 floaters, he needs that in his game or he's too easy to negate but they lull in offense came when these two were getting their minutes. I'd like to see a balance between what TL brings and what Grill brings but it looks like Prohm is going to error on the side of defense. I totally get it and in the long run, this season is what it is, may as well throw Grill into the fray and let him figure things out. Seems like the writing is on the wall for TL.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
One thing I noticed was the whole bench seemed engaged and enthusiastic the whole time. Anyone who thinks Prohm has lost this team is just plain wrong. Also some props to Hali for being the most engaged and enthusiastic, I am sure that is infectious. I will miss him next year.

Haliburton got the crowd going when TCU made their run. There was a renewed sense of energy after that happened.

Thanks to everyone that stayed and cheered last night. You seemed to pick the players up when it was needed most.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That ship has sailed. Whether it's Lewis' fault or Prohm's fault, at this point of the season, it doesn't matter. It ain't happening.

He has been battling a back issue and has missed practice because of it. During the Texas game anytime he wasn't on the floor he had the heating pad on his lower back. Watch him move around in warmups and you can tell his back is affecting him.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Yes, you are crazy. Grill's ball handling is no where near good enough to be a PG.

Some people have that PG vibe about them, but Grill isn't close to that yet and I'll be surprised if he's ever asked to fill that role. I think he'll be much better off the ball using his athleticism to pull down some boards from the guard position.

To use an over-used cliche, he's trying to adjust to the speed of the game, particularly on offense. I think his shot improves as he puts in the work and the game slows down for him. I'd love to see him be that guy that just harasses the **** out of the other team on defense and fights hard through every screen.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

If he is the same player as he is today going into next years Big 12 season, then we have a problem

But shooting is contagious things, your upper class men like Nixon, give the team shooting flu that spreads to others

He is a freshmen, willing to give him more time, I think he will be fine.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If he is the same player as he is today going into next years Big 12 season, then we have a problem

But shooting is contagious things, your upper class men like Nixon, give the team shooting flu that spreads to others

He is a freshmen, willing to give him more time, I think he will be fine.

I agree, I just think right now, he's getting by on being a great athlete (which isn't a knock, it's impressive). He was a multiple sport star and IIRC wasn't super involved with a club team or summer ball. A year of focusing only on basketball will do wonders for the kid. Not a stretch to say he's the best athlete on the team. His block was really nice, that wasn't some chump he rejected, Bane is an all big 12 caliber player and Cyclone killer. Pretty fitting end to the game and his career against us.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They've got to find a way to get Grill to slow down offensively. It's like a race to get the ball out of his hands as quickly as he can. The majority of the time he's dribbling away from the basket.

Good athlete with potential, but man they've got to get him to see the game a little slower-- which I'm sure comes with time.

The thing people need to keep in mind about Grill is that while a vast majority of freshmen coming into major conferences have been doing nothing but playing basketball for years, he was playing football, baseball and running track all at a very high level. It makes a huge difference. He played some AAU ball, but it's not like most of these guys where they are practicing and playing AAU all the time.

Right now he's an athlete playing basketball. He definitely is not ready to contribute much offensively. He's set for a big jump being able to focus on basketball. I still think he's a ways off from being a good offensive player in the Big12, but I don't think we can judge him like the typical freshman coming in.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Some people have that PG vibe about them, but Grill isn't close to that yet and I'll be surprised if he's ever asked to fill that role. I think he'll be much better off the ball using his athleticism to pull down some boards from the guard position.

To use an over-used cliche, he's trying to adjust to the speed of the game, particularly on offense. I think his shot improves as he puts in the work and the game slows down for him. I'd love to see him be that guy that just harasses the **** out of the other team on defense and fights hard through every screen.

I don't see Grill ever being a PG, and that's fine. He has the tools to be a great wing defender and rebounder. If he puts in Naz-like hours shooting the 3, he could become a very valuable player for good ISU teams in the future.

I know a lot of people are thinking Jackson should be getting run at PG, but I don't think that's what he's suited for. I think he'll be good as a secondary ball handler, but mostly knocks down threes and plays good defense. IF Bolton can really make a big jump with his ball handling and passing, I see him as the guy that's going to have the ball in his hands the most the next couple of years. He certainly gets some tunnel vision, but his ability to beat guys off the dribble is something that you simply can't teach.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Yes, insane. I say just give the ballhandling keys to Jackson and let him learn over the next few weeks.