AD’s tweet calling out ISU fans

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Watching KU-OSU game last night, Fran Fraschilla made a great point, the Big 12 is full of excellent coaches, and unfortunately CSP just doesn't stack up against his peers, I have him 9th out of 10 in the league. It's time to bring in some young blood (we missed out on Nate Oats).

1. Self - KU
2. Drew - BU
3. Beard - TTU
4. Kruger - OU
5. Huggins - WVU
6. Weber - KSU
7. Dixon - TCU
8. Smart - UT
9. Prohm - ISU
10. Boynton - OSU

Hard pass on "young blood". If you look at the bottom of your list, you see how well "young blood" plays in this league filled with top-tier coaches.

Reactions: CyBobby

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Watching KU-OSU game last night, Fran Fraschilla made a great point, the Big 12 is full of excellent coaches, and unfortunately CSP just doesn't stack up against his peers, I have him 9th out of 10 in the league. It's time to bring in some young blood (we missed out on Nate Oats).

1. Self - KU
2. Drew - BU
3. Beard - TTU
4. Kruger - OU
5. Huggins - WVU
6. Weber - KSU
7. Dixon - TCU
8. Smart - UT
9. Prohm - ISU
10. Boynton - OSU
Did Fran say that SP doesn’t stack up or was he talking in general terms?

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

1. Self - KU
2. Drew - BU
3. Beard - TTU
4. Kruger - OU
5. Huggins - WVU
6. Weber - KSU
7. Dixon - TCU
8. Smart - UT
9. Prohm - ISU
10. Boynton - OSU
I don't have a lot of disagreement with this list, but I don't know how Smart deserves to be above Prohm on it. Texas has a huge recruiting advantage over ISU and he has all the money he can possibly ever spend and he still has a worse record at UT than Prohm does at ISU (both overall and in conference play).

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don't have a lot of disagreement with this list, but I don't know how Smart deserves to be above Prohm on it. Texas has a huge recruiting advantage over ISU and he has all the money he can possibly ever spend and he still has a worse record at UT than Prohm does at ISU (both overall and in conference play).

I’d agree with Prohm 8th on the list.

And with the exception of Beard, that is a lot of experience among the 7 guys ahead of him.

• Agree
Reactions: clone2003

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

1. Self - KU
2. Drew - BU
3. Beard - TTU
4. Kruger - OU
5. Huggins - WVU
6. Weber - KSU
7. Dixon - TCU
8. Smart - UT
9. Prohm - ISU
10. Boynton - OSU

Kruger's resume is impressive, but he seems to be slipping. He's probably one of the few coaches Prohm has a winning record against.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Kruger's resume is impressive, but he seems to be slipping. He's probably one of the few coaches Prohm has a winning record against.
I have had a lot of respect for Lon for a long, long time, but I have to agree that something is wrong and I'm not sure if he can bring them back. I would love to see him have OU competitive again - just behind ISU, hopefully. ;)

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

1. Self - KU
2. Drew - BU
3. Beard - TTU
4. Kruger - OU
5. Huggins - WVU
6. Weber - KSU
7. Dixon - TCU
8. Smart - UT
9. Prohm - ISU
10. Boynton - OSU

I wold put him ahead of Smart.

• Winner
Reactions: adjl

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

He didn't say anything about Prohm. He was relaying a conversation with Boynton about how Boynton was saying how great the league coaches are saying I look down one game and it Self, next game it is Huggins, Kruger has been to the Final Four, Beard has been to the championship game. etc.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You may be right, but who and what defines "down"? Is winning 19 games but just missing the tourney still going to be considered "down"? Or is it looked at as improvement with a young team with the best yet to come. Those who are saying make the tourney or off with his head are more than likely the individuals JP is addressing.

He can address me that way. It's fine.
No tournament, and off with his head.
If Pollard doesn't like those standards, he's replaceable, too.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Smart is a weird one to rank. I think he’s a great coach but the fit at Texas was always bad. It hasn’t worked out and he will he gone but I won’t go so far to say he’s a bad coach.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Smart is a weird one to rank. I think he’s a great coach but the fit at Texas was always bad. It hasn’t worked out and he will he gone but I won’t go so far to say he’s a bad coach.

Shaka Smart is a bad fit at UT. He is best with a blue collar team that goes all out pressing and run and gun. Problem is, the guys he can get at UT are not that. They get high level guys that are NBA talents. Tough to turn down talent like that when you can get them, but it doesn't really fit his style.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
He was speaking about OSU's Boynton, and how he is one of very few black head coaches and the pressure he faces representing the black community. He mentioned how every night he has to face a great coach on the other bench.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
I gave Smart the edge for his accomplishments while at VCU.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I’ll give Smart credit. Texas has gotten up off the mat in a situation where they are no more talented then us or Kansas State at this point; especially without Sims.

• Agree

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You may be right, but who and what defines "down"? Is winning 19 games but just missing the tourney still going to be considered "down"? Or is it looked at as improvement with a young team with the best yet to come. Those who are saying make the tourney or off with his head are more than likely the individuals JP is addressing.

For me, it's still down. It's NCAA tournament or bust. Will it be up from this year? Well yes, I imagine it'll be tough to match this dumpster fire.

• Funny

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
104 - 29 record at Murray State, yet his only good year was his first year? Stupid take, his first year was his best year but had solid years every year there...
Going 29-6 and a perfect 16-0 in conference is apparently not a good year since they got upset in their conference championship game and didn't make the dance. They ended up going to the NIT quarterfinals. And that was his last year there, so I don't know how he could have been any further from Kennedy's recruits.

Reactions: CyDude16

Linusvanp3lt

Sep 25, 2012
Jamie is pedestrian, which is fine, but he is whiny. This tweet was a terrible look, and embodies his thin skin and was a super drawn out and petty I told you so, made even worse because as many have pointed out, it wasn't even a concrete defense of strategy given our lack of execution in the TCU game.

Those who speak to Pollard's growth of ISU AD spend, facilities, etc, yes he's done some good things, but he's actually had tailwinds. 1. Our baseline was so low. Our facilities and spend was minor league, so easy to be better. 2. Spend, facilities have increased everywhere given the tv growth in the last 15 years. Growing isn't commendable if everyone is growing, it's status quo. Out pacing others in your given success criteria is success.

I liken it to an investment manager. Sure he returned 15% last year, but the broader market returned 20%. We should be grading on alpha, or lack thereof, not return.

Long story short, if he left and we hired a more dynamic forward looking AD, I'd be in favor, but I'd thank him for his steady and solid years of service on the way out.

P.s. I hate this entertainment district idea. I think he's severely overestimating Power and Light, Epicenter (in Charlotte) and similar districts. I'd much rather simply provide space for food trucks, beer trucks, to make a brewery style, more casual, less gaudy, less capital intensive solution which can scale up, and more importantly DOWN as 9 out of 10 days this place will be a ghost town. I'm all in on a hotel near campus however and believe that has merit in the Iowa State Center.

Help Support Us

Become a patron