Gilbert tournament Saturday

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I appreciate you posting this, but I’m not buying it.

Maybe it’s just because I’m one of the older millennials, but I just don’t understand. It all seems antithetical to the values of the sport of wrestling. Perhaps those values are a thing of the past.
I'll be 35 this summer and I have no problem understanding it makes no sense for coaches to take some weird moral high ground stand at the expense of their team and conference. The rules and system suck but it's up to the NCAA to change it. If you would watch the presser you would know Dresser has been pushing for change the last few years. He starts talking about the big elephant in the room around the 5 minute mark and talks for about 10 minutes. Take the time to watch and then decide if you think he's blatantly lying. For the record, I can't imagine why he would sit up there and go into as much detail as he did if he was lying. Could have saved a lot of time and potential damage to his reputation by just giving vague coach speak answers but he didn't.

cyclonegrap

Sep 2, 2016
He said that he left it up to his guys to decide if they wanted to wrestle the match if it was against another Iowa State wrestler. He said they battle every day in the room and they have also faced each other at several opens that he gave them the choice to go if they wanted to. For example, Colbray and Harsh both agreed to wrestle. He seemed surprised that Battani didn't wrestle Coleman and made the comment "maybe it was because of what happens in the room every day" (alluding to Battani not wanting to take a beat down). He also mentioned Long was getting over a sickness. He expected Sebastien from Wisco to wrestle, but he only needed one match then defaulted out. He thought the SDSU kid and Minnesota kid would make it to face Marcus, but our depth guys beat them out. Marcus wasn't thrilled with not wrestling at the tournament, but Dresser wasn't going to flip his decision from earlier in the week with giving the guys the choice to wrestler their teammates.

Another example is David Carr. Why wrestle Carr against an ISU guy. That match could have happened in Ames. This could also have been an INJ default. Carr does not need an AQ to make Nationals. He will go no matter what. Dresser had Carr wrestle so the conference received an extra spot. Last year, John Smith did what was best for his guys at the detriment of the conference. It ended up costing Logan Schumacher a spot at Nationals and Coleman had to steal his own AQ back from Hastings to qualify. I think this tournament had more to do with helping the conference get some additional spots than padding his guys records.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I agree with Dresser. Prior to Saturday, despite dealing with mono most of the season Coleman never missed a meet. Over half of his matches were against top 20 guys including the #1 at both 174 and 184. He is a returning national qualifier who was ranked all season. Despite all that, the NCAA still expected him to wrestle 5 more Division I matches the last weekend of the year to prove that he was deserving a qualifying spot. The system is broken for guys who switch weights or get hurt. It might work for the top ranked guys, but the guys in the teens and low 20s get punished for wrestling a good schedule. Spencer Lee does not even have a resume good enough to get an AQ for his conference.
I agree with what you're saying above, but wanted to point out that Spencer Lee has definitely earned an allocation for his conference. His 14 matches doesn't qualify for RPI, but he has over 8 matches which qualifies him for winning percentage (which is pretty good;)) and he is number one in the coaches rank. He meets 2 of the 3 which is all that's needed to qualify.

• Agree
Reactions: HawkFan1 and buf87

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'll be 35 this summer and I have no problem understanding it makes no sense for coaches to take some weird moral high ground stand at the expense of their team and conference. The rules and system suck but it's up to the NCAA to change it. If you would watch the presser you would know Dresser has been pushing for change the last few years. He starts talking about the big elephant in the room around the 5 minute mark and talks for about 10 minutes. Take the time to watch and then decide if you think he's blatantly lying. For the record, I can't imagine why he would sit up there and go into as much detail as he did if he was lying. Could have saved a lot of time and potential damage to his reputation by just giving vague coach speak answers but he didn't.
I’m kinda clueless why some people don’t understand this.

cyclonegrap

Sep 2, 2016
I agree with what you're saying above, but wanted to point out that Spencer Lee has definitely earned an allocation for his conference. His 14 matches doesn't qualify for RPI, but he has over 8 matches which qualifies him for winning percentage (which is pretty good;)) and he is number one in the coaches rank. He meets 2 of the 3 which is all that's needed to qualify.

I stand corrected. Lee did meet the silver allocation level. I think Lee only missed one dual and did not qualify for the RPI.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve and buf87

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Then who made the call for Long and Battani?

No, I didn’t. I do plan on listening to FRL today though. What did he say? Why did they make that decision?

Maybe both Long and Battani are both smart enough to know that IF they MFF out they would in fact help their teammate (who happens to be the starter). These are Students and it's not a very complicated test. Why wouldn't you want to help out your teammate? It's not like it's the beginning of the season when you're wrestling to win your spot. I think your asking the wrong questions and looking at this all wrong. Go Cyclones!

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Maybe both Long and Battani are both smart enough to know that IF they MFF out they would in fact help their teammate (who happens to be the starter). These are Students and it's not a very complicated test. Why wouldn't you want to help out your teammate? It's not like it's the beginning of the season when you're wrestling to win your spot. I think your asking the wrong questions and looking at this all wrong. Go Cyclones!
As a competitor, I was taught to give it my all and never would take a dive. Get off my lawn.