Gilbert tournament Saturday

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Looks like Dress will be on FRL Tuesday...maybe?

I'm no good at the embedded tweet thing...hopefully this works.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Going to have Coach Dresser (<a href="https://twitter.com/CYWrestle_KD?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@CYWrestle_KD</a>) on FRL Tuesday to discuss his NCAA loophole Last Chance Open!<br><br>He won’t injury default 1 second into the interview either! </p>&mdash; Christian Pyles (@CPyles8) <a href="">February 23, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I listened to the FRL with Nomad & Spey???.

Basically understand there are issues.

Some discussion about switching weights and the numbers of matches both Coleman and Colbray have during the season.

Saying Big 12 coaches should love what Dresser did in getting the Big 12 an extra allocation vs the Smith debacle last year having the allocation given back.

Also S Riveria must not be able to earn an allocation and won't have a seeding at Big 10's and how would you like to draw him in the 1st round.

Suriano immediately defaulting out of Big 10's, also Nolf and Kemerer.

All are different, but are used to "game the system" to get to the ultimate goal of getting to NCAA and best seed possible.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I agree that it sucks to have to game the system.

However, doesn't anybody remember back in the day when a top ranked wrestler might get sick or dinged up the day of the conference qualifier and then having no possible way to qualify? Wasn't there a #1 ranked kid from MN that ended up getting beat and having to stay home. I think he was a returning national champ (Schlatter?). I remember they changed to rules shortly thereafter. I definitely do not want to go back to the old rules.

As for those bashing it's pretty hypocritical because I'd guess every program has had their wrestler MFF to a teammate at at some time in the past. I don't know the solution other than count matches at other weight classes... Maybe there's a downside to that and that's why the rule is the way it is.

Plus...if other schools don't like it then they can send wrestlers to this tourney to try to beat our guys.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
One thing Dresser mention was that he did not expect Iowa State guys to beat both SDSU guys and the Minnesota guy and expected Sebastian to a match.

Long won 4-3 and had been sick. That was Coleman's 3rd match.
Battani won 6-1 against Minnesota and 7-3 vs SDSU.

So it's not like it was stacked to give Coleman all Iowa State guys.

And he could have told them to go out an wrestle but don't beat or hurt my starter.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
If a coach ever told me to lay down for a starter, I’d be finding a new team.

cyclonegrap

Sep 2, 2016
I agree with Dresser. Prior to Saturday, despite dealing with mono most of the season Coleman never missed a meet. Over half of his matches were against top 20 guys including the #1 at both 174 and 184. He is a returning national qualifier who was ranked all season. Despite all that, the NCAA still expected him to wrestle 5 more Division I matches the last weekend of the year to prove that he was deserving a qualifying spot. The system is broken for guys who switch weights or get hurt. It might work for the top ranked guys, but the guys in the teens and low 20s get punished for wrestling a good schedule. Spencer Lee does not even have a resume good enough to get an AQ for his conference.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Then who made the call for Long and Battani?

Long made the call for Long and Battani made the call for Battani. Did you watch any of the presser where Dresser explained it or are you just firing some uneducated opinions right now?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Long made the call for Long and Battani made the call for Battani. Did you watch any of the presser where Dresser explained it or are you just firing some uneducated opinions right now?
No, I didn’t. I do plan on listening to FRL today though. What did he say? Why did they make that decision?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
No, I didn’t. I do plan on listening to FRL today though. What did he say? Why did they make that decision?

He said that he left it up to his guys to decide if they wanted to wrestle the match if it was against another Iowa State wrestler. He said they battle every day in the room and they have also faced each other at several opens that he gave them the choice to go if they wanted to. For example, Colbray and Harsh both agreed to wrestle. He seemed surprised that Battani didn't wrestle Coleman and made the comment "maybe it was because of what happens in the room every day" (alluding to Battani not wanting to take a beat down). He also mentioned Long was getting over a sickness. He expected Sebastien from Wisco to wrestle, but he only needed one match then defaulted out. He thought the SDSU kid and Minnesota kid would make it to face Marcus, but our depth guys beat them out. Marcus wasn't thrilled with not wrestling at the tournament, but Dresser wasn't going to flip his decision from earlier in the week with giving the guys the choice to wrestler their teammates.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins and buf87

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
He said that he left it up to his guys to decide if they wanted to wrestle the match if it was against another Iowa State wrestler. He said they battle every day in the room and they have also faced each other at several opens that he gave them the choice to go if they wanted to. For example, Colbray and Harsh both agreed to wrestle. He seemed surprised that Battani didn't wrestle Coleman and made the comment "maybe it was because of what happens in the room every day" (alluding to Battani not wanting to take a beat down). He also mentioned Long was getting over a sickness. He expected Sebastien from Wisco to wrestle, but he only needed one match then defaulted out. He thought the SDSU kid and Minnesota kid would make it to face Marcus, but our depth guys beat them out. Marcus wasn't thrilled with not wrestling at the tournament, but Dresser wasn't going to flip his decision from earlier in the week with giving the guys the choice to wrestler their teammates.
I appreciate you posting this, but I’m not buying it.

Maybe it’s just because I’m one of the older millennials, but I just don’t understand. It all seems antithetical to the values of the sport of wrestling. Perhaps those values are a thing of the past.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I appreciate you posting this, but I’m not buying it.

Maybe it’s just because I’m one of the older millennials, but I just don’t understand. It all seems antithetical to the values of the sport of wrestling. Perhaps those values are a thing of the past.

But why would he have Colbray wrestle Harsh but then not have Coleman wrestle? Coleman would pretty easily beat both Long and Battani. If there was concern about guys getting injured then why wouldn't Dresser have had Harsh MFF to Colbray too? I can see where it seems off, but just seeing Dresser talk about it, he seemed genuinely surprised Battani didn't wrestle

• Winner
Reactions: buf87 and CyTwins