Hinterland 2020

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
They announced the lineup earlier today:

EQgAExNXUAE3O_o

Pretty good-- will probably skip Friday and do Saturday-Sunday.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Some really good acts spread throughout. I'm seeing Childers in April, and he's the biggest draw for me on the roster so I'm probably out this year.

Continues to be a really good festival. Would love to catch Old Crow and Leon Bridges. I've seen both Shooter Jennings and Charley Crockett in the last few years and they're both excellent performers. Tanya Tucker's last album was really good. Orville Peck, Paul Cauthen, Kelsey Waldon, and Vincent Neil Emerson are all solid too.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Leon and Old Crow are my must-sees. I really enjoy Mt Joy and Tyler, love The Dip, but I've been SO wanting to see Leon Bridges for the past few years. I'm super-excited.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah, it's looking more an more like I'm going to have to figure out how to hit all three days if I'm going to see everyone I want to see. @Cybyassociation I'm right there with you about Yola. Faraway Look absolutely blew me away when it came across the spotify playlist. Sounds like she's from a different era. I want to catch her and Of Monsters and Men on Friday, The Dip and Kaleo Saturday, and the last three acts on Sunday.
Not sure how that's gonna work. If the same incentive plan is in place for volunteers as last year then twelve hours will pay for three single day passes. Pretty good deal if you can take the time off from your regular job. I might volunteer on Friday to pay for the weekend, go solo on Saturday and then come back Sunday with my wife. She's pretty pumped about Leon Bridges but ambivalent about the rest of the lineup.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, it's looking more an more like I'm going to have to figure out how to hit all three days if I'm going to see everyone I want to see. @Cybyassociation I'm right there with you about Yola. Faraway Look absolutely blew me away when it came across the spotify playlist. Sounds like she's from a different era. I want to catch her and Of Monsters and Men on Friday, The Dip and Kaleo Saturday, and the last three acts on Sunday.
Not sure how that's gonna work. If the same incentive plan is in place for volunteers as last year then twelve hours will pay for three single day passes. Pretty good deal if you can take the time off from your regular job. I might volunteer on Friday to pay for the weekend, go solo on Saturday and then come back Sunday with my wife. She's pretty pumped about Leon Bridges but ambivalent about the rest of the lineup.
I'm a big fan of Orville Peck too. I think I'm more excited just to see his show than his songs. I like the act he puts on and I'm interested to see how that translates to a live show in the middle of Iowa. But right now, that Friday lineup is looking like the day I'm going to try to hit over all the others. I'd like to try for the other two days, but with a 3 year old and 1 year old twins in August...I'm just not sure I can pull a full weekend of festivals.

Reactions: Angie

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
But right now, that Friday lineup is looking like the day I'm going to try to hit over all the others. I'd like to try for the other two days, but with a 3 year old and 1 year old twins in August...I'm just not sure I can pull a full weekend of festivals.

Yeah, I get it. Two kids age 8 and 3 here. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to swing Friday and Sunday, but Saturday is iffy. Maybe I can pull it off if I agree to take one of the kids with me that day.

• Agree
Reactions: Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, I get it. Two kids age 8 and 3 here. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to swing Friday and Sunday, but Saturday is iffy. Maybe I can pull it off if I agree to take one of the kids with me that day.
My wife really likes Monsters and Men, so she'd like to go Friday as well. We thought about having the grandparents stay the night or weekend and try to take our 3 year old at least during the day Friday. She loves music and loves to dance, depending on the heat and the weather, I'd really like to bring her along, at least for a little bit.

Anyone on here have experience bringing their kids, especially younger ones?

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My wife really likes Monsters and Men, so she'd like to go Friday as well. We thought about having the grandparents stay the night or weekend and try to take our 3 year old at least during the day Friday. She loves music and loves to dance, depending on the heat and the weather, I'd really like to bring her along, at least for a little bit.

Anyone on here have experience bringing their kids, especially younger ones?

I have yet to take one of my kids. We kind of kicked it around last summer and decided against it, partly because it was balls hot on Saturday and selfishly because we wanted just half a day to be not parents and responsible grownups.
I've seen the kid's activities tent, and it looks like it might buy you an hour or so of entertainment. There's an ice cream truck; that might buy you another half hour or so. You'd want to invest in some decent ear protection for them, and unless they can get around without a stroller then I'd keep them home. It's a fun place but with the uneven terrain and crowds it's not a real friendly spot for strollers or bulky diaper bags and all the stuff that comes with little kids.

• Agree

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I have yet to take one of my kids. We kind of kicked it around last summer and decided against it, partly because it was balls hot on Saturday and selfishly because we wanted just half a day to be not parents and responsible grownups.
I've seen the kid's activities tent, and it looks like it might buy you an hour or so of entertainment. There's an ice cream truck; that might buy you another half hour or so. You'd want to invest in some decent ear protection for them, and unless they can get around without a stroller then I'd keep them home. It's a fun place but with the uneven terrain and crowds it's not a real friendly spot for strollers or bulky diaper bags and all the stuff that comes with little kids.

Yeah, I haven't brought my kids, but have debated bringing them this year for Leon. They're both huge fans, I have video of my son singing "River" and strumming a toy Frozen guitar at age 2.5 or so in his diaper. But I think we'd show up just before he is to go on, to avoid them getting too bored.

There's really not a ton for them to do the rest of the time, even with the Hinterkids. There's crappy cell reception, so it would be a gamble on any form of electronic. I think my fourth grader would do well if she brought a book that REALLY interested her, as she likes people watching and is generally pretty calm. But I think even she would get bored after three or four hours.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah, I haven't brought my kids, but have debated bringing them this year for Leon. They're both huge fans, I have video of my son singing "River" and strumming a toy Frozen guitar at age 2.5 or so in his diaper. But I think we'd show up just before he is to go on, to avoid them getting too bored.

There's really not a ton for them to do the rest of the time, even with the Hinterkids. There's crappy cell reception, so it would be a gamble on any form of electronic. I think my fourth grader would do well if she brought a book that REALLY interested her, as she likes people watching and is generally pretty calm. But I think even she would get bored after three or four hours.

That's a good strategy. Maybe plan to arrive like an hour or so before the act you really want to see goes on, kill a little time at Hinterkids and getting something to eat, find a good spot to watch the show, and if the kids are bored and ready go an hour later then you still got what you wanted out of it.

The lack of wi-fi is a problem, but I guess you could always download something to a tablet beforehand that the kids can watch offline. I'd suggest a lego kit or a board or card game but it'd be way too easy to lose critical pieces out there.

• Agree

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
If you have time over your lunch break gives this entire session a listen. She is going to bring the house down this summer. Also, side note the keyboardist is in a great band called the Texas Gentlemen. They are not at hinterland, but a great band to start listening to.

Reactions: jbindm and Angie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I see 80/35 is now canceled. Hopefully with Hinterland a few weeks later it will still go on but I imagine they have to be worried about lumping any more money into this year if there is a chance it won't go on.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I see 80/35 is now canceled. Hopefully with Hinterland a few weeks later it will still go on but I imagine they have to be worried about lumping any more money into this year if there is a chance it won't go on.

Did 80/35 have a lineup announced or anyone booked yet? Just spitballing here, but maybe it was easier for them to pull the plug since they had fewer commitments at this point.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Did 80/35 have a lineup announced or anyone booked yet? Just spitballing here, but maybe it was easier for them to pull the plug since they had fewer commitments at this point.

Yeah, I don't think I'd seen anything at all on announcements from them. I am praying Hinterland is still on.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah, I don't think I'd seen anything at all on announcements from them. I am praying Hinterland is still on.

Me too. Just too early to tell. Without knowing any of the ins and outs of the contracts and everything I would think they'll hold off from canceling as long as they possibly can. To me the outcome will be a pretty good indicator of what to expect for football season. If we still can't gather in large crowds by the first weekend in August it's pretty unlikely we'll be able to expect tailgating or fan attendance for games starting in September.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I hadn't seen anything posted about the new lineup

1616593275774.png

Adding the Avett Brothers, Caamp and the Black Pumas to an already great show is awesome.

I'm glad I got in on tickets early as it looks like they are gone.

• Winner
Reactions: cyguy9320

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron