This is why Prohm must go........

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The tournament is a crapshoot. Making it counts. What you do throughout a whole season counts. Getting bounced in the first round as a middle seed isn't an indicator that the season is a failure. I have much more of a problem with the month stretch at the end of the regular season than I do the tournament.
Oh geez - the NCAA tournament is hardly a "crapshoot" - it's more like a proving ground. It's what everyone points at when practice starts. "Making it" is just a starting point...

• Agree
Reactions: SEIACyclone

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Reading this thread has me thinking about taking the rod off of ignore.

I will just go listen to a little, Blood, Sweat and Tears while I mull it over.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Returning/incoming talent last year is nowhere close to what we have returning/incoming next year. If he can get us to the tournament I'll be very impressed.

Yeah it’s not impossible to repeat the success of last year next year, it’s just extremely unlikely.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
yes I’d take it every year.

The general idea of a 6ish seed and some very nice wins is what I'd take, although a winning conference record is always nice...last year's squad WAS close to 11-7 which is what the 'tough, bad-*** full of leaders everywhere' 13-14 team did (a team that was just as close to .500 in conference and at least 2 non-conference losses).

Some of the weird things with what sounds like some real turmoil and questions around management of situations is what causes pause for me.

I think many coaches are trying to figure out roster management along with ego/whiny players too.

One thing I quasi agree with that Dan Dakich says is that coaches are afraid of players, and if a player doesn't like it, too bad. However, it's easier to say that and really the Coach K's, Calipari's etc. are only going to have that kind of power in today's basketball.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
the 2-3 week stretch was a disappointment. The rest of the season was good.

It was more than that. Most have said last years results underperformed their talent, and I would agree. But for me the issue was you just never knew if they would play well or just be totally clueless from game to game.

They got boatraced at Iowa. Whipped KU at home and then a week later got beat by KSU at home in a game where it appeared they had never actually played together before. Then won AT Tech the next game. Won a bunch of games, then lost at home to a bad TCU in a game that still defies explanation. Then won AT KSU and then lost at home to Baylor (again).

Then they go on a run and win in KC, and then play awful against a very one-dimensional Ohio State.

You could see the talent was there to be a top 10, Elite8 kind of team. But the results on the court seemed completely random. And in my opinion, that's kind of been a defining characteristic of the CSP era. It's just this year, the talent level is lower, so the ceiling and floor are both lower. Good lord, is the floor lower this year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It was more than that. Most have said last years results underperformed their talent, and I would agree. But for me the issue was you just never knew if they would play well or just be totally clueless from game to game.

They got boatraced at Iowa. Whipped KU at home and then a week later got beat by KSU at home in a game where it appeared they had never actually played together before. Then won AT Tech the next game. Won a bunch of games, then lost at home to a bad TCU in a game that still defies explanation. Then won AT KSU and then lost at home to Baylor (again).

Then they go on a run and win in KC, and then play awful against a very one-dimensional Ohio State.

You could see the talent was there to be a top 10, Elite8 kind of team. But the results on the court seemed completely random. And in my opinion, that's kind of been a defining characteristic of the CSP era. It's just this year, the talent level is lower, so the ceiling and floor are both lower. Good lord, is the floor lower this year.

we are so quick to say the taken was there and they under performed but couldn’t it just as easily be they over performed?

I do think last years team dearly missed solo.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
we are so quick to say the taken was there and they under performed but couldn’t it just as easily be they over performed?

I do think last years team dearly missed solo.
We ended the season ranked in the final AP poll. We dropped a couple we shouldn't have, lost some close ones to some solid teams, but also beat some great teams. We shot terribly against Ohio State in the tournament which resulted in a loss. We were a hit or miss team

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We ended the season ranked in the final AP poll. We dropped a couple we shouldn't have, lost some close ones to some solid teams, but also beat some great teams. We shot terribly against Ohio State in the tournament which resulted in a loss. We were a hit or miss team
Yeah that was it...oh wait, Ohio State shot worse - 39.7% to ISU's 43.4. OSU shot worse from 3 too.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Oh geez - the NCAA tournament is hardly a "crapshoot" - it's more like a proving ground. It's what everyone points at when practice starts. "Making it" is just a starting point...

I should re-phrase that. If you're a 7 seed, it's a crapshoot. The whole reason people love the tournament is the chaos and how unpredictable it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I should re-phrase that. If you're a 7 seed, it's a crapshoot. The whole reason people love the tournament is the chaos and how unpredictable it is.
I can agree with that. But if you play tough D and value the ball, you are tough to beat. That seems to be the pattern among teams that win. It's not "luck" if you advance.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah that was it...oh wait, Ohio State shot worse - 39.7% to ISU's 43.4. OSU shot worse from 3 too.
Yeah I'm not saying Ohio State played an unreal game.. We actually played pretty good defense overall, but we were severely outmatched at the center position. Ohio State played the perfect game against us. Ugly, low scoring, and tried to slow the game down. Because of that, we started taking some bad shots. Tyrese had 4 points, Babb had 4 points, THT had 2 points and Mike had 0 points.

It was similar to the UAB game. UAB was playing a slow-tempo style, tried to extend their possessions, and tried to force us into taking bad shots. In that game we shot a better percentage from the floor and from the three but lost by 1. That was with an incredible offensive coach.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Reading this thread has me thinking about taking the rod off of ignore.

I will just go listen to a little, Blood, Sweat and Tears while I mull it over.
I’m glad you’re finding different ways to cope with your stress and anger of people having different opinions than you, rather than just attacking the individuals in a personal manner, like you typically do.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah I'm not saying Ohio State played an unreal game.. We actually played pretty good defense overall, but we were severely outmatched at the center position. Ohio State played the perfect game against us. Ugly, low scoring, and tried to slow the game down. Because of that, we started taking some bad shots. Tyrese had 4 points, Babb had 4 points, THT had 2 points and Mike had 0 points.

It was similar to the UAB game. UAB was playing a slow-tempo style, tried to extend their possessions, and tried to force us into taking bad shots. In that game we shot a better percentage from the floor and from the three but lost by 1. That was with an incredible offensive coach.

CSP's teams tend to double when they don't need to, and are bad at it when they do, but then don't do it when it could help.

Wesson didn't need to be doubled every time, but throwing someone else at him occasionally at least keeps his head on a swivel and from taking his sweet time to work his way into the shot.

THT had to be benched because he went back to trying to force his way into the lane some more.

The team that lost to UAB had other games that year where they just couldn't get it figured out if the opponent muddled things up.

Reactions: JBone84