Iowa State Basketball is a Mid-Major Roster

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
Only at Iowa do people expect recruits to grow 3 inches when they get on campus

Why would that be? One is 6’6 205 and was a top 100 player by many, the other is a 6’3 late bloomer that literally almost anyone you ask knew he was a 4 year player and not a stud from day 1.

We wish. Braun was rated higher through and through (on top of being a post, not a guard).

And playing for one of the best* coaches and teams in the country, that doesn't hurt either.

Braun was listed at 6'5" 175 lbs, Grill at 6'3" and 180 lbs.

2 inch difference and 35 spots separated them in composite ranking.

Are you only able to compare players that are the same height and weight?

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
I could see Iowa losing out or only winning 1 more and ending up in the play in game. Going to be a stressful couple of weeks for them.

Thanks for posting this. Really excited for the stretch run now.

• Creative
Reactions: adjl

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Braun was listed at 6'5" 175 lbs, Grill at 6'3" and 180 lbs.

2 inch difference and 35 spots separated them in composite ranking.

Are you only able to compare players that are the same height and weight?
Did I not say he was on one of the best teams and playing for one of the best coaches in basketball? It makes a difference. Give Grill to Self and he could probably make more of Grill than what Moss is giving him currently.

That said, I still reiterate that Grill is all mental right now. You just can see it in his body language. He's just not ready for this level yet, but we forced him into it anyway. I wish we would've RS'd him, personally (but I get it -- we needed guys now, and still do).

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Thanks for posting this. Really excited for the stretch run now.
Thursday you play Ohio State without Fredrick, that's a loss.
Purdue beat you by a million, you could lose that for sure at home especially if you aren't full strength
MSU on the road is a loss
Penn State is better than you, that's a loss
At Illinois, easy loss.

You will be on the bubble.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
The last few weeks are gonna be stress free for you guys.....
There is some freedom in that. Now I can just watch these guys get better for next year with no stress. We will be much better next year. I can also just sit back and watch the hok nation meltdown when you fall apart the last 5 games.

• Creative
Reactions: dexterhawk

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I am guessing ISU fans thought Grill would be similar to the Braun kid for KU.

Not sure about that. But what is Moss' record against ISU now. I think he was 2-1 at Iowa and now 2-0 at Kansas. He has a shot to be 3-0 this year. So right now he is 4-1 with a shot at going 5-1.

Reactions: HawkJRP

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I could see Iowa losing out or only winning 1 more and ending up in the play in game. Going to be a stressful couple of weeks for them.

I agree with you too. Everything is still in flux and there are no sure losses (Maybe MSU) or wins. Just need to get one more and I'll be happy.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
I never expected Iowa and Fran to be this good right now. I would take the play in game as it stands today. Garza has exceeded everyones expectations.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
I agree with you too. Everything is still in flux and there are no sure losses (Maybe MSU) or wins. Just need to get one more and I'll be happy.
I think 1 more win and you are in. Won't be easy if your other shooter doesn't come back. The one thing you have going for you is 3 home games. The few Big 10 games I have watch really seem to favor the home teams. Same could be said for some Big 12 venues, although I think teams like Kansas get special treatment everywhere.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Hard to win in the Big 10, best conference in the nation in terms of depth this year. Iowa being a 4-7 would be insane this year.

Hard to win a conference that has 3 Big 12 teams ahead of the best Big 10 team in KenPom?

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
There is some freedom in that. Now I can just watch these guys get better for next year with no stress. We will be much better next year. I can also just sit back and watch the hok nation meltdown when you fall apart the last 5 games.
You sure about that or just optimistic? A lot of other Clone fans are not sharing the same optimism.

Reactions: HawkJRP