Bowen Born

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Grill also didn't specialize in any sport in high school and played in class 5A in a state that is overall a lot better at basketball than Iowa. The competition between 3A Iowa basketball and 5A Kansas basketball is incredibly different.

No doubt about that, but not 20 ppg and 10% improvement from 3 different.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
One thing that surprises me about Born is that Iowa didn't really push for him. Maybe Mike's alumni status made them not a realistic option but IIRC he visited IC. Just seems like the kid Fran usually takes a risk on.

Iowa got a top 175 kid to fill the PG spot in this class.

Born took a couple unofficial visits to Iowa City, I dont think Fran was close to offering though.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm not saying Born is a big 12 caliber kid but it's funny people are claiming they don't like him because of his height.

This thread is about a kid who's (maybe) 5'10, there are a couple posts that mention height but no one is claiming it's the be all, end all. Not one post about it being a reason to avoid him.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...state-visit-eyes-may-6-decision.247735/page-8

EVERY one of us would have taken him in heartbeat. He proves your skill set can trump lack of height, he's having a really good fr year at Georgia. That's the difference between he and BB.

IMO Born could have an impact at ISU but it'd be 3/4 years (including a RS)before he would be a rotational player, that would assume he made a lot of progress. I don't think his problem is height or competition though, it's his skill set that would need to evolve. He's a natural 2 guard, I see him struggling like Mike Gessell from Iowa to make the transition to PG.

One thing that surprises me about Born is that Iowa didn't really push for him. Maybe Mike's alumni status made them not a realistic option but IIRC he visited IC. Just seems like the kid Fran usually takes a risk on.

It'll be a bummer to miss out on him if he blows up at UNI but we have much bigger needs for the next 2 years than what he would bring.

Good post generally, and yes, Wheeler was/is short, but remember --

95.70% on 247 composite
#100 nationally composite
High-major offers from UGA, ISU, and Texas A&M

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Also, do you want to get in to other spring signees of Prohm? Jeff Beverly? Merrill Holden? Darrel Bowie? The kid from Princeton who was made of glass? Come on man, the take isn't as bad as you think.

You listed 4 year guys and and now you're listing 1 year guys. Most of which were post players. Still an awful take.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No doubt about that, but not 20 ppg and 10% improvement from 3 different.
It's all relative. I know plenty of kids that averaged 30 ppg who never saw one D1 offer, and they averaged more ppg than kids in their own class that ended up getting D1 offers. So just because Bowen is averaging 40 ppg in class 3A, it doesn't mean that's going to translate to the college level. The physically, athleticism, mentality, rule changes, 3 pt line changes, extra curricular activities are all different in college and all come into play. Everything is different.

I'm not saying that Bowen is not going to be good either, because we're not going to know until a few years down the road. But Grill was recruited by some big time schools for a reason and Bowen is not for a reason.

• Agree
Reactions: TheHonestCycloneFan

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The fascination with in state recruiting on here is crazy

It’s exhausting. I’m sure there is some other random kid at some other small school in Iowa overmatching their schedule and putting up huge numbers with non P5 size. Where is that kids thread? Mike was a good Cyclone, he’s a good guy. If he thought Bowen could play and thrive at a P5 level he would have him there.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'd certainly take another Bolton on ISU's roster. I don't think it's ridiculous to assert that Born could certainly reach that type of a ceiling by his Jr. or Sr. year. We probably wouldn't want to be rolling 2 Bolton's out there at the same time anyway.

The type of recruits Prohm has landed in the spring period, minus Shayok and Bolton, have been on a very similar caliber of talent as Born. Comparing him to HS only recruits that Prohm has brought in in the spring, you'd be stacking him up against Grill, Simeon Carter and Brady Ernst off the top of my head. I think he would at least qualify to be in that company.
But he isn't available in the spring. It was either offer him a scholarship in fall at the expense of another player Prohm did land or he goes to UNI. So it doesn't make sense to compare him to players available in the spring.

CyBronco2121

Mar 20, 2015
Cumming
If you haven' t watched Born - go watch him. ISU missed! He can score, best ball handler in the state, quick shot, his 1st step is crazy fast, dunks, and scores. Way better than any guard on ISU current roster.
Last night he shot over XF using the backboard and body control - crazy good.
It will be fun to watch him at UNI. Size doesn't matter for him!

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
If you haven' t watched Born - go watch him. ISU missed! He can score, best ball handler in the state, quick shot, his 1st step is crazy fast, dunks, and scores. Way better than any guard on ISU current roster.

That's a pretty bold take considering ISU has a likely first rounder on it's current roster.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
OK - Caleb Grill averaged 35% in HS and 17% from 3 so far in college, which one you want to use to define his shooting ability?

Terrence Lewis shot 56% from 3 in high school and is a career 30% 3 point shooter at Iowa State. High school stats are pretty meaningless

• Winner

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
But he isn't available in the spring. It was either offer him a scholarship in fall at the expense of another player Prohm did land or he goes to UNI. So it doesn't make sense to compare him to players available in the spring.
I get that. Only reason I was making the comparison was because Sigmapolis asked which current player I'd want to kick off the team to bring Born in. I was only stating that it was irrelevant to remove a current player because it will happen regardless, whether via NBA Draft or transfer. In this hypothetical, Born would come in once a scholarship opened up, thus making him a spring signee.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Also, do you want to get in to other spring signees of Prohm? Jeff Beverly? Merrill Holden? Darrel Bowie? The kid from Princeton who was made of glass? Come on man, the take isn't as bad as you think.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the teams Born plays against probably don't even have a kid that will play DIII on the roster, let alone DI.

Brooks McKowen scored like a billion points in high school. He was a marginal Mo Valley player. Wyatt Lohaus was Mr. Basketball. Average Mo Valley player. Success at the high school level in Iowa does not equate to being a big, time P5 player.

• Winner

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This might be the dumbest post I've ever seen on this website. I usually only say that to Iowa fans, but this one takes the cake.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Keep in mind that the vast majority of the teams Born plays against probably don't even have a kid that will play DIII on the roster, let alone DI.

Brooks McKowen scored like a billion points in high school. He was a marginal Mo Valley player. Wyatt Lohaus was Mr. Basketball. Average Mo Valley player. Success at the high school level in Iowa does not equate to being a big, time P5 player.
Two years ago, Mr. Basketball went to a kid from Gladbrook-Reinbeck. He averaged 30 ppg and is currently playing for Upper Iowa.

Reactions: CyTwins

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What exactly does Grill have the Born doesn't? A couple extra inches, which probably netted him his handful of P6 offers. If Born was a couple inches taller, he would have P6 offers and everyone on this board would want him at Iowa State in the fall.

Really not trying to rip on Grill here, but Born is having much more success at a similar level in HS, despite being a few inches shorter than Grill. Grill just happens to be bigger than Born.

Grill didn't just get offered by P6 schools.. he got offered by three Big 12 schools, two of them being the teams that were Co - Big 12 Champions last year. He also got offered by Fred at Nebraska. So, if you think Bruce Weber, Steve Prohm, Chris Beard, and Fred Hoiberg are wrong in their assessment of Grill, then I guess that's your opinion.

Mike Born was going to do whatever he could to get his kid into a position to receive big time offers but not one pulled the trigger. There's a reason no school did. If you want to blame it on height, which is a ginormous element in the game of basketball, so be it. I'm sure there are tons of undersized kids that would've been tremendous players if they were a few inches taller. I'm sure there were 6'8" post players who would've gone D1 if they were 6'11", but they weren't.

Reactions: CyTwins

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron