***Official Super Bowl LIV Thread***

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Chiefs should start working on a long term contract extension for Mahomes now. He's still on his rookie contract and the price is only going to go up. Lock him in now with a long term contract so you know your cap numbers for the foreseeable future.

I think that absolutely gets done this off-season

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Chiefs should start working on a long term contract extension for Mahomes now. He's still on his rookie contract and the price is only going to go up. Lock him in now with a long term contract so you know your cap numbers for the foreseeable future.

I would not be surprised if this gets done in the offseason. I have a feeling he is going to be reasonable with how much cap space his contract will take up too because he's going to have lots of outside money coming in endorsements. He's a competitor and I don't see him wanting to put the Chiefs in a situation where they can't afford to keep or add players around him that will help him win because of his cap hit. Probably like Brady and Brees have done whatever he signs he probably will restructure it a few times over the course of time to accommodate the need for cap space on a given year.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Mahomes I don't think will take too much of a discount on his deal. I assume his representatives are waiting to see how the new CBA shakes out. With a possible 17th game and money increase that will bring, they would be dumb to at least wait for that. He is still under contract for next year. I could see it being done around start of next season.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Mahomes I don't think will take too much of a discount on his deal. I assume his representatives are waiting to see how the new CBA shakes out. With a possible 17th game and money increase that will bring, they would be dumb to at least wait for that. He is still under contract for next year. I could see it being done around start of next season.
I could see Mahomes himself taking a friendly deal but his agent Leigh Steinberg is not going to allow that. He's going to push the Chiefs to pay Mahomes. He's literally the inspiration for Jerry Maguire. "Show me the money!"

I wish Mahomes would be like "$30M is enough. I don't need $40M." That would be insane. But I bet we give him something ridiculous like a $40M/year for five years and its fully guaranteed offer.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I could see Mahomes himself taking a friendly deal but his agent Leigh Steinberg is not going to allow that. He's going to push the Chiefs to pay Mahomes. He's literally the inspiration for Jerry Maguire. "Show me the money!"

I wish Mahomes would be like "$30M is enough. I don't need $40M." That would be insane. But I bet we give him something ridiculous like a $40M/year for five years and its fully guaranteed offer.

Yeah it is what it is at this point. Pay him whatever and hopefully draft great every year. Gotta find a way to pay Chris Jones too. Hopefully Watkins will take a pay cut to stay with the Chiefs. Luckily they got Kelce and Hill on decent deals, and when they are up again, they have new crop of weapons and can let them go.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If anyone tells Mahomes to take anything less than top dollar for his first non rookie deal after the seasons he's had, winning the Super Bowl and being MVP they should be tarred and feathered and then forced to live in Missouri.

• Funny
  • Winner
Reactions: cmjh10 and t-noah

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Yeah it is what it is at this point. Pay him whatever and hopefully draft great every year. Gotta find a way to pay Chris Jones too. Hopefully Watkins will take a pay cut to stay with the Chiefs. Luckily they got Kelce and Hill on decent deals, and when they are up again, they have new crop of weapons and can let them go.
I have a strong feeling we will franchise tag and trade Chris Jones. He's a beast but we just don't have the money. Nnadi and Saunders are young and affordable. Pennel may stay at a much more affordable cost.

Watkins is going to be at a crossroads. Either restructure with KC and stay on a contender at still good money or get released and end up where? He's not a first option and he's not going to get first option money in the open market but he's a great 3rd option behind Hill and Kelce.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I have a strong feeling we will franchise tag and trade Chris Jones. He's a beast but we just don't have the money. Nnadi and Saunders are young and affordable. Pennel may stay at a much more affordable cost.

Watkins is going to be at a crossroads. Either restructure with KC and stay on a contender at still good money or get released and end up where? He's not a first option and he's not going to get first option money in the open market but he's a great 3rd option behind Hill and Kelce.

Its so hard to find that pass rush from the DT position. Jones eats up blocks on passing downs and has a knack for knocking balls down. I really wish they can find a way to keep him. He was screaming last night about this is the start of a dynasty so I think he wants to stay in KC.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
If anyone tells Mahomes to take anything less than top dollar for his first non rookie deal after the seasons he's had, winning the Super Bowl and being MVP they should be tarred and feathered and then forced to live in Missouri.
There has been exactly one dynasty in the NFL modern era and it has existed because of Tom Brady's willingness to take less than the max possible. The Chiefs cannot keep what makes them special if they max out Mahomes. Period.

If Mahomes wants to figure out if he is still good with a mediocre surrounding roster then yeah, sign for the max..

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
There has been exactly one dynasty in the NFL modern era and it has existed because of Tom Brady's willingness to take less than the max possible. The Chiefs cannot keep what makes them special if they max out Mahomes. Period.

If Mahomes wants to figure out if he is still good with a mediocre surrounding roster then yeah, sign for the max..
He was quoted today saying "that's stuff that's handled with other people" so if he is deferring the negotiations to his agent Leigh Steinberg the Chiefs are definitely going to pay up in a big way.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
He was quoted today saying "that's stuff that's handled with other people" so if he is deferring the negotiations to his agent Leigh Steinberg the Chiefs are definitely going to pay up in a big way.
Basing everything that happens off of one off the cuff comment meant to distract attention away from that topic at that time may be a mistake.

Mahomes isnt stupid. He will have a say it the timing, size and team impact of his next contract.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I disagree. Take advantage of the rookie deal as long as possible. Once you pay the QB, it's tougher to make moves like bringing in a safety when you see a hole.

Also, with the new CBA looming, who knows if what you pay him now would keep him happy later.