So, I've lived in Des Moines for a Week...

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Have you ever been to Boise? I have a few friends that live there and they absolutely love it. It seems kind of like Des Moines in the mountains.
Your comment made me do a deep dive into Boise. That city looks awesome. Mountains are pretty, people are probably alright. Would have been a fun college town, no Ames, but still lol.

Boise is great, and has really picked up as people have migrated in from more expensive western cities. Weather is near perfect imo, lots of outdoor utilization.

The description of it being DSM if DSM were near mountains with great weather isn’t too bad in the general sense. I’d say it’s more prominent in its region than DSM, and it’s obviously more west coast (California and NW influx) and mountain west than Midwest. More isolated, too.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
3rd time to Centro since I moved back. The Steak Centro is the best steak in Des Moines IMO! Tell me if I am wrong, so I can try your favorite steak in the DSM. What say you?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Things I have learned:

The weather is glorious! I hope it stays this way year round.

The people are super nice.

Every time I see a Cyclone shirt or hat, I smile.

It was easy-peasy to sign up for Nex Gen internet and Direct TV for a decent price. Next day service. Works great!

Plenty of cool restaurants and bars.

The only thing that freaks me out is that I have seen 3 dead birds on the sidewalks. What's up with that?

Viva Des Moines!

Caucus month....please ignore everything you think you knew about Des Moines.
It gets better when they leave.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
So, I've lived in Des Moines for almost three years NOW...

I drove to Ames and walked around Campus re-acquainting myself with places I roamed three decades ago + experienced some new stuff (Freddy's for my pre-game meal), before I moseyed to Hilton to watch the ISU Women advance to the Sweet 16 in person and the ISU Men advance to the Sweet 16 on the video board.

It was a GREAT day, and I am still juiced!
I love this place.
Let's Go State!

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Just had some Rodizio Brazilian Grill... Now for the meat sweats. mmmmmmm
Not sure if that's a DSM option yet but too bad if not.
Ate at the Southern Grill or something like that by the Marriot downtown. (closest) I had 4 piece chicken and collards. The collards were the bomb. Chicken below average. Will go again, I will just order something else.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just had some Rodizio Brazilian Grill... Now for the meat sweats. mmmmmmm
Not sure if that's a DSM option yet but too bad if not.

Not the same chain, but we do have a brazilian steakhouse, Brazil Terra Grill. Its pretty solid.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Ate at the Southern Grill or something like that by the Marriot downtown. (closest) I had 4 piece chicken and collards. The collards were the bomb. Chicken below average. Will go again, I will just order something else.
I don't eat greens, but I'll give that place a try. I do love Bubba's Downtown - which has a very nice quality and quantity menu.

Reactions: JP4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron