New Bracketology

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Don’t worry, I’m sure UNI with pick up a few more bad losses before March if they are capable of losing at 9-10 SIU.
UNI always loses games like this in seasons they are good. They're great at playing spoiler in the MVC Tournament, and can consistently finish in the top half during the regular season, but they just can't quite ever eclipse that level Creighton, Wichita State, and now Loyola have all crossed

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
UNI always loses games like this in seasons they are good. They're great at playing spoiler in the MVC Tournament, and can consistently finish in the top half during the regular season, but they just can't quite ever eclipse that level Creighton, Wichita State, and now Loyola have all crossed
If Wichita State or Creighton were in that league, they'd consistently be 1 and 2 every single year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If Wichita State or Creighton were in that league, they'd consistently be 1 and 2 every single year.
I think so too, and Wichita State really got fortunate with Gregg Marshall staying there as long as he has. He has single handedly turned that program into something more than a MVC afterthought. Had he jumped ship a few years ago, I'm really not sure they get their get out of jail card.

• Agree

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
They will for sure not get an at large bid if they lose 3 or 4 more times before the MVC tourney.
They will need to win either the regular season MVC title or Conference Tourney to get in. That basically means no more than 2 losses between now and March

• Agree

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think so too, and Wichita State really got fortunate with Gregg Marshall staying there as long as he has. He has single handedly turned that program into something more than a MVC afterthought. Had he jumped ship a few years ago, I'm really not sure they get their get out of jail card.
They are fortunate but the Koch's pay him very, very, very well. Better than most power schools.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not at all. Just pointing out mvc might get 2 in. something many people on here said won’t happen
You also said at a minimum UNI makes the Sweet 16 and agreed to a charity bet for service animals.
Then you were upset if you won, that I wouldn't pay you.

So we have that.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Loyola isn't anywhere near that level. They were 12-6 in the league last year. They got to a Final Four when the bracket fell apart for them, they played freaking K-State without Dean Wade in the regional final.

They're in first place right now because of the schedule they've played. They haven't seen UNI or Bradley and the only for sure top half team they played on the road (Drake) beat them. They won't win in Cedar Falls on Sunday and they play at Bradley next weekend.

UNI probably wins the next 3 regular season titles.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They will for sure not get an at large bid if they lose 3 or 4 more times before the MVC tourney.

Belmont got in with 3 worse losses than UNI has right now and their best win was UCLA. They didn't have wins anywhere near what UNI has in Colorado and South Carolina.

I agree the margin for error is tiny but if UNI can get to 14-4 in the Valley and lose on Sunday in StL, they'd be 27-6 with a NET in the upper 30s or low 40s most likely. Probably a ticket to Dayton.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Loyola isn't anywhere near that level. They were 12-6 in the league last year. They got to a Final Four when the bracket fell apart for them, they played freaking K-State without Dean Wade in the regional final.

They're in first place right now because of the schedule they've played. They haven't seen UNI or Bradley and the only for sure top half team they played on the road (Drake) beat them. They won't win in Cedar Falls on Sunday and they play at Bradley next weekend.

I hope you're right. I don't like Loyola, their story got tiring fast their Final 4 year. And I'm not Catholic, so I really didn't care...
Anywho, I would much prefer if UNI ran the table in the conference. Or Drake. Would love to see either or both of them at or near the top consistently. It just hasn't ever happened in my life time so far.

Really jealous of your back court for the next few years with Born and Green. Iowa State and Iowa both, I think, will be a little upset they slept on Born.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I hope you're right. I don't like Loyola, their story got tiring fast their Final 4 year. And I'm not Catholic, so I really didn't care...
Anywho, I would much prefer if UNI ran the table in the conference. Or Drake. Would love to see either or both of them at or near the top consistently. It just hasn't ever happened in my life time so far.

Really jealous of your back court for the next few years with Born and Green. Iowa State and Iowa both, I think, will be a little upset they slept on Born.

Born was also more than willing to redshirt at either one of those places to put some muscle and weight on. He's just so, so skilled offensively that he would have been a very good player in the P5. He was incredibly successful on the AAU circuit and he's really figured out how to play being undersized. I agree that he's a miss for bigger schools.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

It would be a stretch to say that Born would physically be ready to play at the Big 10 / Big 12 level his first two years in college. UNI is an absolutely perfect place for him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Belmont got in with 3 worse losses than UNI has right now and their best win was UCLA. They didn't have wins anywhere near what UNI has in Colorado and South Carolina.

I agree the margin for error is tiny but if UNI can get to 14-4 in the Valley and lose on Sunday in StL, they'd be 27-6 with a NET in the upper 30s or low 40s most likely. Probably a ticket to Dayton.
Belmont's best win last year was beating Murray State who had arguably the best player in the nation. You're also assuming UNI now goes 11-2 in their next 13 games. It's not impossible for that to happen, but they're going to have to really take care of business.

• Agree

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It would be a stretch to say that Born would physically be ready to play at the Big 10 / Big 12 level his first two years in college. UNI is an absolutely perfect place for him.
I agree it would've been tough to sit on a scholly for potentially 2 years, and he probably would've got tired of waiting too. I think he's the real deal, after initially turning my nose up at the notion of ISU recruiting him. Kid is gonna make me thankful we don't have UNI on the schedule anymore I think.

• Agree

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Born was also more than willing to redshirt at either one of those places to put some muscle and weight on. He's just so, so skilled offensively that he would have been a very good player in the P5. He was incredibly successful on the AAU circuit and he's really figured out how to play being undersized. I agree that he's a miss for bigger schools.
That isn't always the case. You look at a top-100 recruit like Clayton Custer for instance. He would've received more playing time at ISU if he would've stayed, but he knew he would be a focal point of the Loyola team. He went there and ended up being a tremendous player at that level and helped lead his team to the Final 4.

• Agree

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019

This guy knows what he is talking about.

• Dumb
Reactions: IASTATE07

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This guy knows what he is talking about.
giphy.gif