ESPN+ ISU BB Game Schedule

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
But streaming doesn’t have equipment rental fees and dealing with service people. It’s going to have to cost more for streaming for me to go back.

What do you call that Roku box or Fire Stick? Cable and satellite work better as essentially they are streaming services that have already lumped everything together and available in one place. The only real difference is that they built their own proprietary data delivery instead of using the public internet.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
What do you call that Roku box or Fire Stick? Cable and satellite work better as essentially they are streaming services that have already lumped everything together and available in one place. The only real difference is that they built their own proprietary data delivery instead of using the public internet.

Everything a streaming service offers is available in one place. It's the same as cable/satellite only half the price.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
What features are missing from streaming that are included with cable/satellite? I honestly can't think of any.

Flipping between channels as easily as possible, DVR, pausing Live TV, etc. They eventually added the ability to show on-demand content. Streaming services are mostly trying to replicate or catch up.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Everything a streaming service offers is available in one place. It's the same as cable/satellite only half the price.

It won't be half the price for long. They've already been climbing. And if you want all the add-on's like sports the price differences aren't that great. If you are a good negotiator with the cable company the savings are minimal already.

• Disagree
Reactions: cycloneG and awd4cy

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It won't be half the price for long. They've already been climbing. And if you want all the add-on's like sports the price differences aren't that great. If you are a good negotiator with the cable company the savings are minimal already.
There is a lot of things you keep spewing that aren’t true. With what I stream I already have DVR, ability to pause and play, every sports channel I need or could want, and it’s only $49.99 a month. Plus, you buy a rokou once and it’s done. You aren’t paying for it every single month.

Before I cancelled dish, I had to pay like an extra $10 for 200 some channels cause the basic package didn’t carry ESPNews, FS1, ESPNU etc, pay another like $10 just to have dvr, pay another $8 a month to rent a Joey so I could watch tv in another room, and pay however much just to rent the rest of the equipment. In total it was well over $100.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Something I bought for $49.99. What do you call a cable box? A monthly 11.99 charge, per TV

Nothing says that a cable company can't do the same. What streaming really brought to the market was competition with the cable companies because they had been given virtual monopolies in town. Instead of having to use proprietary internet (the cable) others could use the public internet standards and bring some competition. Competition generally lowers prices for everyone and allows for a better overall service.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Nothing says that a cable company can't do the same. What streaming really brought to the market was competition with the cable companies because they had been given virtual monopolies in town. Instead of having to use proprietary internet (the cable) others could use the public internet standards and bring some competition. Competition generally lowers prices for everyone and allows for a better overall service.

Usually but cable/satellite companies continue to increase prices to make up for all the lost customers.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Flipping between channels as easily as possible, DVR, pausing Live TV, etc. They eventually added the ability to show on-demand content. Streaming services are mostly trying to replicate or catch up.

Streaming services have all of those features plus more and you don't have to pay anything extra for them like you do with cable/satellite.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
This basketball season is tearing our message board apart!
giphy.gif

isu83

May 5, 2010
I don't think anyone would argue Netflix isn't available to the vast majority of our fanbase.

I'd rather have games available on both TV and streaming, and yes, we would all like more games televised, but there are definitely people on here that are simply being obtuse.
Obtuse. Hmm.

• Creative
Reactions: Cyched

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Funny--I live in the middle of nowhere TN and I get ACC Network, PAC12 Network, Big10 Network and SEC Network....hence my comment. It's not a rant if its true--facts matter. Also--more to the point if you're a 16 year old prospect....how are you finding out about Iowa State--oh, that's right, by plunking down $5 a month for ESPN+ rather than just turning on the TV.

Basic cable in a lot of areas doesn't carry ESPNU or ESPNews, which this season is what ISU is more likely to be on than ESPN2, so it may not be that different.

I'll probably buy that one game in March, as it's possibly going to be last chance I get to see Haliburton play for ISU, assuming the Wednesday B12 tourney games are on ESPNU.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

I can flip back and forth between a game on fox sports to a game on ESPN+ by pushing the “back“ button on streaming services?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Streaming services have all of those features plus more and you don't have to pay anything extra for them like you do with cable/satellite.

Some do and some don't. Sling charges $5 a month for DVR. Plus you can't even fast forward a show. So if their crappy software doesn't note where you leave a show then you have to watch about 5 mins of commercials just to try and get back to where you were.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Some do and some don't. Sling charges $5 a month for DVR. Plus you can't even fast forward a show. So if their crappy software doesn't note where you leave a show then you have to watch about 5 mins of commercials just to try and get back to where you were.

Sling includes 10 free hours of DVR. The $5 a month option is to upgrade to 50 hours.

You can fast forward on Sling if you aren't watching on demand content.

You don't seem to be up to date on streaming technology.