ESPN+ ISU BB Game Schedule

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
With linear channels there are a limited number of time slots available. What that means is games get moved so the network can fill it's schedule with good games. With streaming services their is no limit to the number of games that can be aired at a given time. What that might mean is that your games may start at more traditional times. There is less need to "slot" them into a particular time slot.

It also means that you often miss the start of your game when an earlier game runs long, or if some major breaking news happens. I remember a time some Mike Tyson news preempted a Cyclone basketball game. That should never happen with a game planned to air on a streaming service.

This chapter of streaming has yet to be written, but I would love it if the host school was in control of kickoff times rather than a television network.

I think you've forgotten the main reason. Viewers to sell advertising. Fine if you want all the games at the same time but you'll pay full boat for those huge tv contracts.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Eventually the price and features of cable and streaming will come together and be very similar.

Streaming already has more features than cable/satellite and costs half the price. Are you saying cable/satellite is going to add features and cut their price or that streaming is going to take away features and increase their price?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Eventually the price and features of cable and streaming will come together and be very similar.

Not sure about that. Cable seems to be taking the route blazed by the American automakers. Focus on the high dollar, high margin customers and forget the rest

They don't care about retaining you as a customer. They focused on the folks who can't or won't figure out streaming.

The people without solid internet are captive to the cable/satellite provider

Reactions: heitclone

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Not sure about that. Cable seems to be taking the route blazed by the American automakers. Focus on the high dollar, high margin customers and forget the rest

They don't care about retaining you as a customer. They focused on the folks who can't or won't figure out streaming.

DirecTV is hemorrhaging subscribers and their only solution has been to increase prices. They increased prices again this past weekend.

https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...gain-after-already-losing-customers-in-droves

They've tried to get into the streaming game with DirecTV Now (now called AT&T Now) but it's expensive compared to other streaming services.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
DirecTV is hemorrhaging subscribers and their only solution has been to increase prices. They increased prices again this past weekend.

https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...gain-after-already-losing-customers-in-droves

They've tried to get into the streaming game with DirecTV Now (now called AT&T Now) but it's expensive compared to other streaming services.

Squeeze the people left and grind out as much $$ from that dying business....

I tried DirecTV Now when it first came out and seemed like a good deal

It didn't stream very well at all for me. Neither did Sling. Hulu with Live TV now. Since they raised the price on that we're going to try going without live TV after football season

It seems like ESPN+ shows Dallas Stars games. If they do that next season we'll dump the NHL package.

Like printing money over here in the KnappShack

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

I keep seeing people talk about slow internet, but have they actually shopped around lately? Satellite internet is available everywhere and is faster than most hard line services (mediacom, century link, etc.).

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
The one problem with satellite internet is the data caps.

Maybe? A good friend of mine has satellite and they have no data caps. If you find the right company/plan it shouldn't be an issue.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't mind paying the $5, I watch tons of cbb so I get my monies worth but this is just an initial step. The people calling everyone a tech ignorant boomer because they don't like it are just as bad as the people totally ruling it out because it's a different way than they're used to watching games. The reality is, its not a great product yet and it's a step back for fans that pay for the services that used to carry the majority of our games. It's also obvious that this is the future, if these companies want everyone to buy in (sports, especially cbb, are still mostly watched/marketed to middle age ish people) they are going to have to find ways to make it more convenient and reliable.

I don't think it quite gets enough attention but the TV/streaming shift is a huge cultural change for our country. I feel like it doesn't make as much a difference if you are watching tv series or movies but for live events, it's still finding its footing. Personally my only complaints are my internet service, it's a tough option for people without access to decent internet and while its nitpicky, I hate having to wait out loading times if I'm trying to switch over to another game really quick during a timeout. Bouncing back and forth is almost pointless sometimes, again, that probably has a lot to do with my crappy internet service.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Maybe? A good friend of mine has satellite and they have no data caps. If you find the right company/plan it shouldn't be an issue.

Many advertise this but have actual caps in the fine print. We have an "unlimited plan with no caps" that slows down to a crawl at 65gb. Plus, you're speeds/data can vary within the same company depending on your location. So your friend and I could have the same company but have totally different services available. I wish it were as easy as you say, good internet for people who want to use it for gaming, streaming, smart home, etc in rural areas...in any way you would use it with non satellite services, is almost impossible to find. We researched about a dozen companies that were said to offer what we were looking for but only 1 offered any kind of high data plan in our area. Like I said, it is nothing like it was advertised or even explained to us.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The same trailer trash that can afford a $5 pack of cigarettes a day, yet some around here ***** about having to pay $5 a month for ESPN +

I had to laugh at your pack of cigarettes comment because...I was at the store recently standing behind this old boy who was coughing and hacking his LungsOUT....and guess what he buys...Ya Got It...A Carton of Marlboro Reds.....a sure path to Lung Cancer....a buddy of mine smoked Pall Mall non filtered, starting at age 16 and he died at age 56 from lung cancer...what a fricking tragedy.....

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I had to laugh at your pack of cigarettes comment because...I was at the store recently standing behind this old boy who was coughing and hacking his LungsOUT....and guess what he buys...Ya Got It...A Carton of Marlboro Reds.....a sure path to Lung Cancer....a buddy of mine smoked Pall Mall non filtered, starting at age 16 and he died at age 56 from lung cancer...what a fricking tragedy.....
Did he pronounce it as Pell Mell? I worked at a couple of convenience stores during and just after college and I don't remember a single smoker of those ever calling them Pall Mall.

Reactions: CyBobby

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Did he pronounce it as Pell Mell? I worked at a couple of convenience stores during and just after college and I don't remember a single smoker of those ever calling them Pall Mall.

I worked at a shady ass convience store back in the day. None of the smokers seemed in tip top shape, but one guy who smoked Winston's stood out

No voice at all and a big scar across his throat. "Pack a Winston's".... Bad stuff

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I worked at a shady ass convience store back in the day. None of the smokers seemed in tip top shape, but one guy who smoked Winston's stood out

No voice at all and a big scar across his throat. "Pack a Winston's".... Bad stuff
"If Winston is good enough for Richard Petty's Cup, it's good enough for me."

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Streaming already has more features than cable/satellite and costs half the price. Are you saying cable/satellite is going to add features and cut their price or that streaming is going to take away features and increase their price?

Streaming prices will be going upwards. And the features / technology need some work to get to the convenience of the cable/satellite. Hence, not sure what tech those companies can add, they will mostly have to deal with it by lower prices. They will meet somewhere in the middle.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Streaming prices will be going upwards. And the features / technology need some work to get to the convenience of the cable/satellite. Hence, not sure what tech those companies can add, they will mostly have to deal with it by lower prices. They will meet somewhere in the middle.

What features are missing from streaming that are included with cable/satellite? I honestly can't think of any.