SDSU Dual

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Read the Daily article. Dresser was all over Coleman. Good.

I don't see it in wrestling like other sports but would it make sense to bench Coleman and Shapiro to say their effort is not good enough and to see what someone else can do when given the opportunity?

Last edited:

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Come on coach give him the lung timeout. Coach Dresser is old school. Glad to see David isn’t actually injured.

I hope it’s not “coachspeak” and he’s truly not dinged up, but Carr gassing in a match he was dominating is a bit of a concern on it’s own, isn’t it? Carr has the talent, in my opinion, to challenge for a natty this year. But they have to figure out the tank, because guys like Hidlay and Deakin won’t gas, and they will crush guys who do.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I haven't seen it mentioned but AM was in a dog fight with Vega until he got the defensive pin. That won the dual and earned him the MVP in my book!
Vega showed why for as good as his HS credentials were there was still fairly small competition for him as a recruit. The debate was whether he would ever be big enough for 125. You saw that come into play yesterday. And the verdict might be in as I see Mackall as the 125 gatekeeper. You beat him you can AA. You don’t you won’t.

• Agree
Reactions: Boxer007

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
First time seeing David getting tired. And he gassed hard. I expected a pin 3rd period after getting close a few times in the 2nd. Hope a fluke.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I have been pleasantly surprised by the Coleman/Colbray weight change. Colbray looks like he can manage that weight and should only get stronger and more comfortable with the cut as the season rolls on. Coleman has been game at 184. Wrestled admirably against Zahid. We knew strength was an issue so a mid season bump up was only going to make that deficit worse. That said- these types of major weight changes need to be preplanned and prepared for in the off season. Gotta give the guys the best chance to succeed. It feels like we have been shooting from the hip for a couple of years regarding roster management. If Shapiro was clearly needed at 197 he should have been wrestling there his redshirt year. They should have been adding strength for 2 years. Dugan they bring in at 220. Beef him up for his redshirt year then ask/allow him to cut back to 197. It all seems haphazard.
I think what your seeing is the side effect of missing on too many top targets in recruiting. This staff really wanted Cooley, who would have been the long term solution at 197. They whiffed on Schultz which would have solidified HW and gotten Gremmel the right person to work against in the room, as it’s the type of HW who owns him on the mat. Recruiting has to get better. There literally are no bodies left to shift around at the upper weights at this time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron