SDSU Dual

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Wow. Tough room. I don't think it's anything that 10 or 15lbs of muscle on both these kids wouldn't fix.

Good team win tonight on the road. Really impressed with how Todd Small is stepping up.
Small really can get shorted on the credit he is due for his performance so far this year. He’s stepped into a tough situation that no one could have completely anticipated and has more than held his own. He’s no AA yet most likely but he’s done what’s been asked of him and is one tough little bastard. There are atleast some weights that have good depth and we found out 33 this year was one of them.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Serious question: who does Gremmel roll with every week. Is it Durbin mostly? Sauter, Willie, Gadson are undersized for GG.

losinglion100

Jan 11, 2018
Small really can get shorted on the credit he is due for his performance so far this year. He’s stepped into a tough situation that no one could have completely anticipated and has more than held his own. He’s no AA yet most likely but he’s done what’s been asked of him and is one tough little bastard. There are atleast some weights that have good depth and we found out 33 this year was one of them.
Small absolutely can AA. You are dead wrong. Straw never loses to that kid again. Long term Shapiro will be fine. Coleman has the skills but he looks out of whack.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Coleman doing a much better job this year getting out of bottom (but tonight ugh). But besides that, woof. Hope to see him turn it around.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Small absolutely can AA. You are dead wrong. Straw never loses to that kid again. Long term Shapiro will be fine. Coleman has the skills but he looks out of whack.
Hey man, don’t get me wrong. I really hope I am wrong

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012

Shapiro is fine long term? Am I missing something? He has done nothing to warrant hope and is deficient in all 3 positions, especially underneath. He would have to completely transform his game and it's difficult to do so in D1 Wrestling when u don't have a game to begin with.

Coleman needs to get stronger and after last year, you would've thought he would have addressed the glaring issue in the offseason. Will give him a little slack becuz of the bump.

Last edited:

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I have been pleasantly surprised by the Coleman/Colbray weight change. Colbray looks like he can manage that weight and should only get stronger and more comfortable with the cut as the season rolls on. Coleman has been game at 184. Wrestled admirably against Zahid. We knew strength was an issue so a mid season bump up was only going to make that deficit worse. That said- these types of major weight changes need to be preplanned and prepared for in the off season. Gotta give the guys the best chance to succeed. It feels like we have been shooting from the hip for a couple of years regarding roster management. If Shapiro was clearly needed at 197 he should have been wrestling there his redshirt year. They should have been adding strength for 2 years. Dugan they bring in at 220. Beef him up for his redshirt year then ask/allow him to cut back to 197. It all seems haphazard.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Mackall fall was definitely huge for meet score - the announcers kept calling it a defensive fall but I’m pretty sure he got a reversal before the fall . Also Leisure wrestling close with Pohlmeyer was big I’m guessing SDSU was thinking bonus there.

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
The fact that Dresser didn’t get out of his chair when Carr pointed to his knee makes me think it’s not that bad.

From the linked Daily article:
"Carr slowly walked off the mat after he gave the Cyclones a 19-11 advantage, but Dresser put all worries to bed.

'He got tired,' Dresser said. 'You got to give David credit for going out really hard and trying to bonus point and get extra points for the team. That's on him to get that extra minute to try and close it out.'

There are several very pointed quotes from Dresser in the article that address our performance.

https://www.iowastatedaily.com/spor...cle_a0df4e6c-399f-11ea-902f-f3e9038e0370.html

Last edited:

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
"Carr slowly walked off the mat after he gave the Cyclones a 19-11 advantage, but Dresser put all worries to bed.

'He got tired,' Dresser said. 'You got to give David credit for going out really hard and trying to bonus point and get extra points for the team. That's on him to get that extra minute to try and close it out.'

There are several very pointed quotes from Dresser in the article that address our performance.

https://www.iowastatedaily.com/spor...cle_a0df4e6c-399f-11ea-902f-f3e9038e0370.html
Come on coach give him the lung timeout. Coach Dresser is old school. Glad to see David isn’t actually injured.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

I appreciate quotes like this:

"I feel like [Chase Straw] out-wrestled him, but he got in a junk hold," Dresser said. "Junk holds' pin guys."

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone and buf87