NCAA Tourney Path

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
beating the #1 NET team on the road would be a start lol
Doubtful that it happens, but would love to see the team compete the entire game and at least make it come down to the final minutes. With all that being said, if we would somehow come out of Waco with a W, would it be the best regular season win of all time? Have we ever beaten a #1 team on the road?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
At this point, I think this season will be a success if Prohm learns how to be more flexible in how his style can compliment a given roster. He can recruit well. He is capable of making decent decisions. He just needs to anticipate better I think so the team can focus on gelling in October & November rather than January & February.

Agree, I just want to see a consistent effort from here on out and see some progress from Prohm, waiting until the middle of January to figure out who you want to play just can't keep happening.

That said, there are 8 games where you have a chance. OU, TCU, OSU (2), K State (2), and Texas (2). Need to win all those which right now I would call tossups, and then beat one of WV, Baylor, or Tech at home. I think we can slop around with Tech and maybe steal one from them.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Borrowing something from another thread --

upload_2020-1-12_22-48-50-png.69703

The table above puts the Big 12 into three tiers.

Top = KU, WVU, Baylor
Mid = TCU, TTU
Lower = OSU, ISU, OU, UT, KSU

How about something like this?

1-5 against the Top tier
2-2 against the Mid tier
7-1 against the Low tier

= 10-8

That puts you in the NCAA tournament, especially if you nab one or two more games in Kansas City? Granted, that means you basically have to 2-0 KSU, Texas, and OU, but considering we almost won in Fort Worth, we can do it!

:D

Reactions: heitclone

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Agree, I just want to see a consistent effort from here on out and see some progress from Prohm.....

Agree. Effort and progress should be the focus. I'm not investing any time worrying about post season play. Just want to see these guys play hard and develop. If this results in some good wins, great. Let's build until some reinforcements get here next year.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I've largely stayed out of the fray on this thing, but beating a middling OU team vs. looking at our larger body of work did nothing to tell me we can work our way back into the tournament discussion.

You can discuss the peripherals all you want but this looks like an average team with an average coaching staff (that's locked up until my high school junior is through with college) that finally decided to shake things up only after some of the worst home losses we've seen in years forced their hand. The former will happen with the talent we lost off last year's team. The latter is what scares me.

The effort from the kids was definitely there Saturday so that's encouraging. Beyond that, I think Jim Mora sums up my feelings pretty well.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Top = KU, WVU, Baylor
Mid = TCU, TTU

1-5 against the Top tier
2-2 against the Mid tier
7-1 against the Low tier

= 10-8

That puts you in the NCAA tournament, especially if you nab one or two more games in Kansas City? Granted, that means you basically have to 2-0 KSU, Texas, and OU, but considering we almost won in Fort Worth, we can do it!

10-8 does not do it.
We have 6 (or will have 6 non-con losses), coupled with a loss in KC is 15 losses.

The most an at large team has had is 14.

The scenario you have above has 2 top 25 wins.

This would be a NIT bubble resume.

Anyway, we lose on the road to #1 Baylor this week and people will be calling for Prohms head again.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Top = KU, WVU, Baylor
Mid = TCU, TTU

1-5 against the Top tier
2-2 against the Mid tier
7-1 against the Low tier

= 10-8

I love this sort of optimism. Can't wait to see how everything unfolds!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
10-8 does not do it.
We have 6 (or will have 6 non-con losses), coupled with a loss in KC is 15 losses.

Anyway, we lose on the road to #1 Baylor this week and people will be calling for Prohms head again.

That's a given. Some posters didn't take a break when we won Saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In my opinion the only way we make the tourney is to gradually get better and grow as a team in big 12 play and peak in kansas city and win the whole thing again. We are 8-7 without a real quality win.
Seton Hall is back in the top 20 and they have done it without Mamuasldkfjoihjasdglkhli who hasn't played since he went down in the game against ISU.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
10-8 does not do it.

10-8 could do it with an added win on the road against Auburn. With that, we'd have to probably make the Big 12 tournament title which would also be an extremely tough task to do.. But if we were 19-15 or 20-15 at the end of the year, I think that could get us in.

All of this is obviously speculation and the likelihood of any of it happening is really low.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
That's a given. Some posters didn't take a break when we won Saturday.
It's actually a shame that we follow this up with the #1 team in the country, it's gonna be hard to glean progress from SAT against Baylor. They just beat the **** out of KU without much issue, we certainly can't set high expectations knowing that.

• Agree

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Drop Baylor or Taco Tech this week and this thread would start to have some meaning. Lose both of these games, and it's going to be very very difficult to get 10 of the next 17 games.

• Agree

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It's actually a shame that we follow this up with the #1 team in the country, it's gonna be hard to glean progress from SAT against Baylor. They just beat the **** out of KU without much issue, we certainly can't set high expectations knowing that.

I think we can compete, but hopefully they have a hangover from their great week last week.

• Agree
Reactions: rochclone

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think we can compete, but hopefully they have a hangover from their great week last week.

There is absolutely going to be a hangover for Baylor. Can Iowa State exploit and jump to five-ten point lead in the first ten minutes? If they can then they might be able to hang around. From a “spot” standpoint these are the situations where Prohm has done really well. I think we get one this week and it has the ability to change everyone’s perception.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
A win against Baylor or Auburn in the next couple weeks would erase the A&M loss and give us a shot. Going to need to beat someone more than the middle of the pack Big12. Still a lot of games left to put a resume together.

Nothing erases the loss against A&M. That is wishful thinking IMO> We can counter balance it with some impressive wins, but lets not pretend it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb if we are being compared against other bubble teams at the end of the year.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Nothing erases the lose against A&M. That is wishful thinking IMO> We can counter balance it with some impressive wins, but lets not pretend it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb if we are being compared against other bubble teams at the end of the year.

Exactly
We've gotten benefit of good seeding the last 7 years by
1) Ton of top 25-50 wins
2) Lack of sub 150-200 losses

Frankly the Big 12 has a glaring lack of mid to bottom depth. ISU TCU KState, Texas and Okie State are all poor teams and not sure WVU and TTech can stick in the top 25 all year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I've largely stayed out of the fray on this thing, but beating a middling OU team vs. looking at our larger body of work did nothing to tell me we can work our way back into the tournament discussion.

You can discuss the peripherals all you want but this looks like an average team with an average coaching staff (that's locked up until my high school junior is through with college) that finally decided to shake things up only after some of the worst home losses we've seen in years forced their hand. The former will happen with the talent we lost off last year's team. The latter is what scares me.

The effort from the kids was definitely there Saturday so that's encouraging. Beyond that, I think Jim Mora sums up my feelings pretty well.

But what's wrong with discussing it? This is a thread about what it would take to make the tournament, which is still a possibility, even if it may not be a probability. You wrote this post as though the thread title is "We're going to make the tournament" as opposed to "NCAA Tournament Path". What is lost by discussing what it will take over our next 16 games to carve out a path to the tournament?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Exactly
We've gotten benefit of good seeding the last 7 years by
1) Ton of top 25-50 wins
2) Lack of sub 150-200 losses

Frankly the Big 12 has a glaring lack of mid to bottom depth. ISU TCU KState, Texas and Okie State are all poor teams and not sure WVU and TTech can stick in the top 25 all year.

They might stick simply because there aren't a lot of good teams to upset them. You fall when you lose, not when you smoke a team you should have beaten.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
But what's wrong with discussing it? This is a thread about what it would take to make the tournament, which is still a possibility, even if it may not be a probability. You wrote this post as though the thread title is "We're going to make the tournament" as opposed to "NCAA Tournament Path". What is lost by discussing what it will take over our next 16 games to carve out a path to the tournament?

Nothin. Have at it.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

You can say "this is how we make the tournament" while still thinking we won't make it.I haven't seen one person say beating OU was season changing but it definitely gave reason to be optimistic considering the league isn't too intimidating. Crazy how many people are willing to 100% sum up a season based on one or two bad losses but refuse to see the benefit of a win. I'd take being middling with OU over what where we looked like we could be heading ltowards last week.