Is Lewis injured because

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
A player's +/- stats do not always appear in the box score, but I'm sure that the staff keeps track of them and puts a huge emphasis on how a player helps or hurts the team when he is on the floor. Last night , for example, Jackson has a +3 in his 28 minutes of playing time. If everyone else matched this number, we win going away. Like it or not, the team played better when he was on the floor.

In regards to Lewis, a few games ago he scored something like 10 points but had a -7 in terms of +/- when he was on the floor. He might have been putting up some points, but we were losing the game while he was doing so.

The +3 was likely because when he was in they weren't playing with Jacobson and Young at the same time. Didn't have really anything to do with Jackson. Plus minus for an individual without context doesn't provide you much. But if you want to look at plus minus, sports reference has a box score plus minus and Jackson is the worst on the team out of the players that get meaningful minutes. By far the worst at -1.2.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Lewis' PER and BPM ratings on Sports-Reference are 3rd highest on the team among the scholarship players (behind Hali and Conditt). Tre Jackson has a PER of 4.9 and BPM of -1.2. Both are worst on the team.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Lewis' PER and BPM ratings on Sports-Reference are 3rd highest on the team among the scholarship players (behind Hali and Conditt). Tre Jackson has a PER of 4.9 and BPM of -1.2. Both are worst on the team.
I think Lewis would probably go down in both with more playing time but still he has shown that he's better and you gotta give him a chance

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I continue to not understand not playing Lewis. We are awful on defense no matter if he's in or not so you could just as well get his hustle and shooting out there rather than Jacobsen's lack of shooting.

At least with him at the 4 he could make a shot or two. I could do as good of a job on defensive rotations and ball screen defense so I have to imagine he can as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Is Prohms resistance to change amongst lineups pretty normal among coaches? I don't follow other teams closely enough to know. I get that continuity can be good but when you are struggling you sometimes need to try stuff, find a hot hand and ride it

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I continue to not understand not playing Lewis. We are awful on defense no matter if he's in or not so you could just as well get his hustle and shooting out there rather than Jacobsen's lack of shooting.

At least with him at the 4 he could make a shot or two. I could do as good of a job on defensive rotations and ball screen defense so I have to imagine he can as well.

My guess is we're good on offense and bad on defense so we're trying to correct the thing we're bad at over improving the thing we're good at. It's a lot easier to move that 101 AdjD than the 26 AdjO. Whether that's the right approach or not who knows but that's my guess on their approach to the situation

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
My guess is we're good on offense and bad on defense so we're trying to correct the thing we're bad at over improving the thing we're good at. It's a lot easier to move that 101 AdjD than the 26 AdjO. Whether that's the right approach or not who knows but that's my guess on their approach to the situation
We should continue to do that but how do you not even put him in for a bit to see if he can provide some scoring off the bench. Something we are also lacking outside of Conditt.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Go to the individual games on Bart Torvik.

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Iowa+St.

Click on, for instance, "W 110-74" for the MVSU advanced box score.

http://www.barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=Mississippi+Valley+St.Iowa+St.11-5&year=2020

View attachment 69573

Interesting stats. Not sure what they all mean. But would seem to support putting Tre in for less minutes than anyone else. Surprised he's gotten that many threes.

Also, Tyrese is No 1 in the country in what appears to be the "best" stat. Adjusted POETEJINGWEROH VUILHUIFVHB UILWDHC OI:JHDJKNCUIOPD HFIODFH. Well I mean, PORPAGATU. As if that is better.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Interesting stats. Not sure what they all mean. But would seem to support putting Tre in for less minutes than anyone else. Surprised he's gotten that many threes.

Also, Tyrese is No 1 in the country in what appears to be the "best" stat. Adjusted POETEJINGWEROH VUILHUIFVHB UILWDHC OI:JHDJKNCUIOPD HFIODFH. Well I mean, PORPAGATU. As if that is better.

https://www.bigtengeeks.com/new-stat-porpagatu/

Tyrese is legitimately one of the best players in the country right now.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
A player's +/- stats do not always appear in the box score, but I'm sure that the staff keeps track of them and puts a huge emphasis on how a player helps or hurts the team when he is on the floor. Last night , for example, Jackson has a +3 in his 28 minutes of playing time. If everyone else matched this number, we win going away. Like it or not, the team played better when he was on the floor.

In regards to Lewis, a few games ago he scored something like 10 points but had a -7 in terms of +/- when he was on the floor. He might have been putting up some points, but we were losing the game while he was doing so.
Where are you seeing Jackson was +3 @TCU? According to this he was -9 and -2.2 on defense.

http://www.barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=Iowa+St.TCU1-4&year=2020

Reactions: Halincandenza

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth

The biggest disappointment is how poorly the Jacobsen/Young lineup have defensive rebounded. The only way that lineup works over other options is if it cleans the glass.

It is boring, but the easiest way this team could improve on defense is ending a defensive possession with a rebound.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Was it lewis that got in trouble with lard? Maybe prohm still holding a grudge. There is no way prohm doesn’t know it looks super sketchy Lewis being the only scholarship player not getting minutes.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
The biggest disappointment is how poorly the Jacobsen/Young lineup have defensive rebounded. The only way that lineup works over other options is if it cleans the glass.

It is boring, but the easiest way this team could improve on defense is ending a defensive possession with a rebound.
Jacobson/Young lineup needs to end; its just not working. Prohm seems very reluctant to reduce PT for Seniors or remove them from the lineup, well past when it’s clear he needs to.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
"But did he deserve to start because he was injured? Yeah, he did. Is he a starter? No question. Did I let him down in ways? You probably could say that."

Prohm to Hines, 2 weeks after we lost to Ohio State after admitting Lindell hadn’t talked to him since the loss.

Why doesn’t Lewis play? Well, because I don’t think Prohm has a good read on things until it’s all said and done and he has a couple weeks to reflect.

This quote right here is so damaging. It really tells you all you need to know about Prohm and player management.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

I noticed young really boxing out their big so others could board, Jacobsen who knows

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
These raw plus/minuses are absolutely awful metrics, they don't take into account what the player did on the court at all. Haliburton had a triple-double but since he played every minute of the game his +/- was guaranteed to be the final score differential, -2. That is in no way representative of the kind of game he had. Similarly, Conditt's was -4. Jacobson had the best with +6...if only everyone else matched his numbers...??

Reactions: Halincandenza

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Is Prohms resistance to change amongst lineups pretty normal among coaches? I don't follow other teams closely enough to know. I get that continuity can be good but when you are struggling you sometimes need to try stuff, find a hot hand and ride it
I think he might be a little to loyal to seniors. Jacobsen has been abysmal though, IDK how you can start him and Solo over Conditt.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron