Flight coming back from Orlando?

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
It was parked on the other side of mine.
n997z-ozark-airlines-mcdonnell-douglas-dc-9-32_PlanespottersNet_686529_d6b2dc1bdc.jpg

HA! Reminds me of the time we were flying our young family to Florida on Ozark; our disappointed three-year-old daughter wanted to know where the animals were on “Noah’s Ark” airlines...

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
Santa got me a seat on the alumni charter this year. The chartered flight was supposed to leave Orlando at 9 AM yesterday, wheels actually went up at 4. Bus left the hotel at 6:30. Jeff Johnson, Gary Thompson, and I assume many other heavy hitters were on the flight.

It was a total train wreck of a day. We were all posted up at our gate, but no plane. After it became clear we'd be late, they (Eastern Airlines or Anthony Travel, or both) said whoops, plane is still in Miami, needs to fly up. Then, whoops, they put too much fuel on in Miami, so need to take care of that. Then it finally left, and they assured everyone once it lands, since nobody is on it, we'll be outta here real quick. Then it arrived, and whoops, need to wait for the fuel truck here. Then, whoops, no catering, need to wait for the catering. And wait, and wait. Surprisingly nobody lost it, and Jeff Johnson and others told them screw the food, let's just get out of here, they said no deal, gotta wait.

Then the plane was complete trash, wiped my tray table off with a wet wipe and it was just gross, as were others near me. Relief finally arrived, however, when they brought around the long-awaited catered food...and it was cold breakfast! A fruit cup with three pieces, plain bagel, little yogurt, and a mystery lemon pastry of some sort. And mimosas and screwdrivers, at least.

Not sure who screwed up, seems like the crappy Eastern Airlines to me, but I'm guessing there are a few disgruntled Cyclone travelers today (for good reason).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
No problems coming back. Met some folks at the United Club visiting family, but they had a daughter enrolled with Iowa State. It was just a coincidence that they were on the flight. We got confirmed stand-by on the 2:50pm Sunday United flight to Chicago. Sean Foster and his mom were on the flight. He gave me a nice "Go Cyclones" when he walked down the aisle. Lots of Cyclone fans that seemed to be in decent mood all things considered. The 7:15pm flight to DSM was bumpy, but nothing too bad. The flight attendants were only able to serve as before take-off and shortly before landing. Again, most Cyclone fans just seemed glad to have had the opportunity for a good bowl and a good opponent.

Reactions: cyfreddy

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Flew home Saturday night -- flight was initially delayed an hour. Then another hour. Then finally a total of 3.5 hours. Then the APU on the plane was down so there was no A/C while we sat near the gate. Then the pilot announced that because the APU was down, they couldn't start the engines, so we waited for a ground cart to come out and get us going.

Thankfully the flight was only about 70% full and I didn't have anyone else in my row so I buckled myself into the middle seat once we were airborne and laid across all three seats for the next 3+ hours. Was supposed to land at 11pm, ended up landing around 3am.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
No flight issues but I had two of the hardest landings I’ve ever experienced. 99% sure I had Cougar from Top Gun after his freak out landing in St. Louis.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Santa got me a seat on the alumni charter this year. The chartered flight was supposed to leave Orlando at 9 AM yesterday, wheels actually went up at 4. Bus left the hotel at 6:30. Jeff Johnson, Gary Thompson, and I assume many other heavy hitters were on the flight.

It was a total train wreck of a day. We were all posted up at our gate, but no plane. After it became clear we'd be late, they (Eastern Airlines or Anthony Travel, or both) said whoops, plane is still in Miami, needs to fly up. Then, whoops, they put too much fuel on in Miami, so need to take care of that. Then it finally left, and they assured everyone once it lands, since nobody is on it, we'll be outta here real quick. Then it arrived, and whoops, need to wait for the fuel truck here. Then, whoops, no catering, need to wait for the catering. And wait, and wait. Surprisingly nobody lost it, and Jeff Johnson and others told them screw the food, let's just get out of here, they said no deal, gotta wait.

Then the plane was complete trash, wiped my tray table off with a wet wipe and it was just gross, as were others near me. Relief finally arrived, however, when they brought around the long-awaited catered food...and it was cold breakfast! A fruit cup with three pieces, plain bagel, little yogurt, and a mystery lemon pastry of some sort. And mimosas and screwdrivers, at least.

Not sure who screwed up, seems like the crappy Eastern Airlines to me, but I'm guessing there are a few disgruntled Cyclone travelers today (for good reason).

Let me see if I got this right. The bus for an alumni charter left the hotel at 6:30am for a 9:00am scheduled flight that didn't take off until 4:00pm. Is that correct?

Where were you all that time? Just at a regular MCO gate? Or at a special limited service gate for charters? Sounds awful. Like the first quarter of the game! I'll bet there will be some interesting conversations with the travel company before next year's bowl trip.

Surprised we haven't heard more complaints about it.

Seems like the CF/CL charter went okay as we haven't heard any comments about it. Of course, they may still be sobering up.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Mine was fine but I flew out 2-hours after the game was over. I fly all around the world for my job and had one bad flight that has given me some anxiety when flying.

all around the world statues crumble for you?

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
Let me see if I got this right. The bus for an alumni charter left the hotel at 6:30am for a 9:00am scheduled flight that didn't take off until 4:00pm. Is that correct?

Where were you all that time? Just at a regular MCO gate? Or at a special limited service gate for charters? Sounds awful. Like the first quarter of the game! I'll bet there will be some interesting conversations with the travel company before next year's bowl trip.

Surprised we haven't heard more complaints about it.

Seems like the CF/CL charter went okay as we haven't heard any comments about it. Of course, they may still be sobering up.

That is correct. We were at Gate 17, just a regular gate.

We all sat there and watched flights come and go all day, then about 2 or 3, one gate over, the next departing flight was 5:30ish direct to Des Moines. Luckily for all involved we made it out before then.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
No flight issues but I had two of the hardest landings I’ve ever experienced. 99% sure I had Cougar from Top Gun after his freak out landing in St. Louis.
Was that the Southwest flight from Orlando to St. Louis Sunday night? I was on that one, it felt like the pilot was trying to hit the three wire on the deck and missed. We had some turbulence that had the flight attendants strapped in, which was good for me, because nobody came back to charge me for the Jack Daniels and Coke.

Reactions: ianoconnor

Marti4Cy

May 17, 2008
Des Moines
Waiting for the plane to arrive for our 11:30 flight on Sunday to Chicago it pulls up and the tail reads TWA. Very bumpy about half way to Chicago, and we really came in hot with a rough landing. American Eagle from Chicago to DSM was very rough too, flight attendant was serving drinks about half full to prevent spilling..

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Cyclones Liquor charter flight was kinda rough. Direct from Orlando that departed at 4:30 pm. We also ended up circling DSM for about 15 minutes. I asked the pilot on the way out why that happened, and he said another plane pulled out in front of us. Not sure exactly what that means, but it was the first time I've ever had anything like that happen. It kinda freaked me out because it was obvious something was going on but none of the crew filled us in while it was happening.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Cyclones Liquor charter flight was kinda rough. Direct from Orlando that departed at 4:30 pm. We also ended up circling DSM for about 15 minutes. I asked the pilot on the way out why that happened, and he said another plane pulled out in front of us. Not sure exactly what that means, but it was the first time I've ever had anything like that happen. It kinda freaked me out because it was obvious something was going on but none of the crew filled us in while it was happening.
After reading some of the flight horror stories, glad I flew with CF/CL. A few extra minutes hovering Des Moines isn’t too bad.

Thanks again Cyclone Fanatic and Cyclone Liquor! Good time had by all in my party. Would definitely recommend.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron