Has Campbell Plateaued?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Our last 4 recruiting classes have been 7th, 7th, 6th and 6th in the Big 12.
In the last three years we finished tied for 4th, tied for 3rd and tied for 3rd.
So I think you can say we are playing above our talent level.
Until we recruit at a higher level, I think we are getting about all we can expect on the field right now.
As others have said, this is the best we have seen in a long time.

• Winner
Reactions: twojman

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Overall a weird/blah feeling year (weather didnt help).

I think CMC has a loaded team and this year will show if he can take it up a notch. Honestly, a blowout in the first game next year would do wonders for us all and IMO would show we've progressed
It would be really nice to see a Campbell team play with the lead. It would make it easier for ISU to play the game they want to play.

Reactions: CapnCy

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
You think Hall is better than Montgomery? He showed he wasn’t today. Also a staff doesn’t get to take credit for developing a true freshman. Let’s see what he looks like next year. And developing a kickers great. Too bad everything else about our special teams is just straight terrible.

We were all snowed this year. 5/7 CF staff members picked ISU to win this game. We weren’t even close. What a damn joke,

Kids develop throughout the summer and during the season. Hall got a lot better I’d sure give some credit to the staff.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
7 wins is a good year compared to the horrible years that we are all too used to. But face it, for so many other teams, including Iowa, that is a mediocre year. I don't care how bad we used to be, we should aspire for more. Unfortunately, I am afraid that might be the ceiling for Campbell. We beat only one team with a winning record this year. Plus, two of the teams we did beat (Kansas and West Virginia) should be improved next year.

My biggest concern with Campbell is that, despite how much he verbally stresses fundamentals, we seem to be regressing in fundamentals under his tenure. Take a took at Farentz, for example, and you could see slow but significant improvements in fundamentals from each year to the next. I am just not seeing that here.
You see it as plateaued; I see it as not reaching our full potential as quickly as originally hoped.

Reactions: aauummm

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think you may be misinformed as well. Kirk inherited a bad Iowa team, went 1-10 his first year and by year 4 started a 3 year streak of 10+ wins. As much as I want I am having a tough time seeing 10+ wins upcoming given how we closed out this season and struggled with details, OL, and ST play.

I don't expect 10+ even every 4th year, but just once would love to see an ISU team perform above everyone's expectations.
The post, literally, suggested Ferentz 'never' made any mistakes or never had bad seasons. And as for 'performing' above everyone's expectations: MC has done that his first 3 years. And, the 'hype' to sell season tickets this year is on the fans for believing it, including me. But am I disappointed? Slightly. But not so far as to call out any of the coaches.

Reactions: aauummm

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Whoa what did Campbell say?

"...to be honest with you I don't know if there were a lot of people that thought we would compete with our rival in our own state."

Hey Coach - we used to regularly compete with - and beat - Iowa.
Ok. I'm older than you. Or at least 'and beat' them is not what I've experienced in my lifetime. We had a few short streaks. But all-in-all, we do NOT regularly beat Iowa. In fact, it's more we get our arses beat more regularly....in my lifetime.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Whoa what did Campbell say?

"...to be honest with you I don't know if there were a lot of people that thought we would compete with our rival in our own state."

Hey Coach - we used to regularly compete with - and beat - Iowa.
It's not the first time he has said something like this. He seems to believe it was not much of a rivalry.

Someone needs to remind him that before he showed up, in 18 years of trying, captain Kirk never had a winning record against ISU. That ended two years ago on his watch.

Not saying he needs to go. But he needs some recalibration on the Cy-Hawk game and stop down playing the results.

That ranks right up there with CSP saying he understands the rivalry because he went to Bama and then turns around and not have the team ready for the game.

Not a deal breaker but it definitely rubs me the wrong way.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
We are disappointed with a 7-win season. The team didn’t play well and we still won 7 games. If a 7-win season is underachieving, I will take it! Shoot, I used to look at our schedule to see if there was any way to get bowl eligible, now we are looking if there is a way to get to the conference championship game. This is huge progress. Matt Campbell is the best thing that has happened to ISU football ever.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It's not the first time he has said something like this. He seems to believe it was not much of a rivalry.

Someone needs to remind him that before he showed up, in 18 years of trying, captain Kirk never had a winning record against ISU. That ended two years ago on his watch.
Amen. And now lots of ISU fans are deifying Ferentz and his program, all because we can't beat him now.
Just like Bill Snyder (vs KU) and Dabo Swinney (vs South Carolina) have said: you need to be the dominant program in your own state to truly take the next step.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Man I bet Prohm feels relieved for now when he gets on CF to not have his threads coming up at the top.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
No. As long as he and the staff realize that to take the next step up we have to continue to become more physical, especially on the DL. Overall, our D suffered this year because we lost Willie, Brian and Payne. All three were physical and good tacklers, especially Willie. This year we have to replace both Ray and Jamahl. I'm not sure we're bowl eligible without those two. Jamahl reminds me of James Reed, who I believe played three contracts in the league and Ray will get to go to camp and face one/one competition instead of getting double/triple teamed. Can't wait to follow them when they get to camp, but for us replacing them next year is going to be very difficult. Hope the JC is as good as advertised, we are going to need him big time. Campbell's success, imo, can be attributed to his recognition that we had to get better on the DL and he did that. DL has to be a priority if we want to maintain of go to the next level. If you don't have a DL you don't have a team.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
No. As long as he and the staff realize that to take the next step up we have to continue to become more physical, especially on the DL. Overall, our D suffered this year because we lost Willie, Brian and Payne. All three were physical and good tacklers, especially Willie. This year we have to replace both Ray and Jamahl. I'm not sure we're bowl eligible without those two. Jamahl reminds me of James Reed, who I believe played three contracts in the league and Ray will get to go to camp and face one/one competition instead of getting double/triple teamed. Can't wait to follow them when they get to camp, but for us replacing them next year is going to be very difficult. Hope the JC is as good as advertised, we are going to need him big time. Campbell's success, imo, can be attributed to his recognition that we had to get better on the DL and he did that. DL has to be a priority if we want to maintain of go to the next level. If you don't have a DL you don't have a team.

I would like to see Enyi bulk up a little and move inside to DT. He either needs to do that or figure out how to get faster because he was stuck in mud this year it seemed. Have a rotation of Enyi, the JC transfer at DT with Peterson, Bailey, McDonald at DE (I'm sure I am forgetting someone who has taken snaps)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron