Is Lewis injured because

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Seems like a double standard--- CMC says he'd rather play a guy too late than too early. I kinda feel like he have back-up QB syndrome simply because we can't admit this year we'll be average on our best nights. Enjoy the development because there probably won't be many wins to cheer.

Not a double standard for me. CMC's teams getting off to a slow start are an issue. But do you think ISU football will be average on their best days in year 5 of CMC and his program will look like it's lacking an identity?

Something like a freshman QB or running back starting in football is an entirely different thing than a big being effective and getting held back the next game in basketball.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
If he and Zion cans bring another level defensively, will only do wonders. Both have big 12 bodies and athleticism, something this team lacks at the 2/3/4 positions . But they have to be in the right spots, if I was an opposing coach, I’d run iso or run every high ball screen against them to see if they can guard with any level of effectiveness.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
If he and Zion cans bring another level defensively, will only do wonders. Both have big 12 bodies and athleticism, something this team lacks at the 2/3/4 positions . But they have to be in the right spots, if I was an opposing coach, I’d run iso or run every high ball screen against them to see if they can guard with any level of effectiveness.
from the looks on the highlight reel, it seems Zion had a little arc on his buckets yesterday as well.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick and pdxclone

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Not getting minutes because of defense is stupid if he is on of the best offensive players on the team. If the offense outweighs the D, then play him. It isn't like ISU has some top level defense without him.

100%. I've been pulling for Lewis, but understand why he hasn't been a regular. I don't see how Prohm can justify putting Grill in before Lewis moving forward. If Lewis gets comfortable he can check a lot of boxes this team needs.

I hate being a body language guy, but I've also been impressed with how Lewis seems engaged on the bench even though he hasn't been in the rotation.

• Friendly
Reactions: liquidinsanity

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The million dollar question is does his offense outweigh just how bad he is on defense. I'm sure there are numbers out there that tell the story. I didn't get to see yesterdays game but against Iowa, I'd say his offense did not outweigh his lapses on defense. That night, you could also see frustration from other players about him being out of position, he made everyone a step slower bc they dont trust him to be where he is supposed to be. It's much bigger than he just can't guard his man. He still struggles with really basic stuff, like freshman level type of stuff. It's not physical at all, its all upstairs, that's positive because it means it should be able to be fixed but it's also kind of telling that a guy is still struggling with this stuff his 3rd year in the program.

At this point, he's too much of a liability to give big minutes to, give him 4-5 minutes a half and let him know he's got the greenlight the entire time he's out there. Also try to play as fast as we can to limit the time he spends on defense. Big 12 teams will single him out and abuse him all night.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
The million dollar question is does his offense outweigh just how bad he is on defense. I'm sure there are numbers out there that tell the story. I didn't get to see yesterdays game but against Iowa, I'd say his offense did not outweigh his lapses on defense. That night, you could also see frustration from other players about him being out of position, he made everyone a step slower bc they dont trust him to be where he is supposed to be. It's much bigger than he just can't guard his man. He still struggles with really basic stuff, like freshman level type of stuff. It's not physical at all, its all upstairs, that's positive because it means it should be able to be fixed but it's also kind of telling that a guy is still struggling with this stuff his 3rd year in the program.

At this point, he's too much of a liability to give big minutes to, give him 4-5 minutes a half and let him know he's got the greenlight the entire time he's out there. Also try to play as fast as we can to limit the time he spends on defense. Big 12 teams will single him out and abuse him all night.
I could see Prohm putting in a zone to get him on the floor too. Take away the man to man concepts for him, and let him guard an area, and let him know that he has to rebound aggressively while he is in the game.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not getting minutes because of defense is stupid if he is on of the best offensive players on the team. If the offense outweighs the D, then play him. It isn't like ISU has some top level defense without him.
It’s stupid if applied discriminatorily, and given what we’ve seen, some guys get away with mistakes more than others. After watching Prohm’s team defenses, I find it hard to believe Lewis makes THAT many more mistakes. Seems like when it comes to benching for defense, we could be on the verge of it being more about retribution and punitive, than correcting mistakes.

But he’s midway through his junior season. A little late for development. Perhaps we just planned to move on, but the inept play forced another consideration.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Not a double standard for me. CMC's teams getting off to a slow start are an issue. But do you think ISU football will be average on their best days in year 5 of CMC and his program will look like it's lacking an identity?

Something like a freshman QB or running back starting in football is an entirely different thing than a big being effective and getting held back the next game in basketball.
Will CMC ever be in the position that 80% of his starters/scoring are gone in one season? BB is not and never will be a good comparison to FB.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
BB is not and never will be a good comparison to FB.
You’re correct, it’s much, much easier to completely reload in basketball. Maintaining success after replacing 3 or more starters frequently occurs in CBB, and it’s nearly a requisite to having consistent success in today’s game.

Football generally requires more roster continuity, although we didn’t see much of a drop-off from losing two all-time greats.

Reactions: heitclone

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
You’re correct, it’s much, much easier to completely reload in basketball.
Truth, and if you lose 2 or 3 pieces that you expected back, it can turn the other direction just as fast. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you don't. But 2 persons out of 11 in football is less than 1 person or a 5-man roster. And in FB you have another squad that can help with the losses on the other side of the ball, which in BB that 1 person plays both sides. How much better would we be if THT and Cam were back, and obviously Lindell should've stayed. But that's the thing, if you recruit too good this is the downside. If you don't recruit good enough, you end up with a mid-major roster. Even Kentucky can't win every year.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I don't trust Prohm to play the guys who make the team better. He has shown this time and time again (Condit right now, Lard last year, Wigginton last year, Lewis right now)

I love Conditt, but I think people on here might overrate him a little bit. There have certainly been games where he's been the best big man, but that doesn't happen every time out. His blocks and dunks are flashy, while Jacobson and Young aren't, so I think that might be part of it. For instance, against Iowa, Conditt got out of position a few different times going to block someone's shot, leading to an easy layup for a rolling Garza, or an easy put back after a missed shot. You don't see that as often with Young.

As for Wigginton, there were quite a few games, including the NCAA tournament game, where he played more than THT did. Lewis right now, maybe he does deserve playing time, but I don't think you can fault Prohm when you can see Lewis's shortcomings on the defensive end.

It's also not just about what happens on the court during games. I know that a lot of fans don't like this, but there are certainly things that happen off court or in practice that Prohm keeps inside the program that may affect playing time. Obviously this happened at least some with Lard. It could be an off court issue, or it could just be a guy who looks pretty bad in practice or doesn't work very hard during practice. Can we really fault Prohm for not playing a guy in those spots?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Will CMC ever be in the position that 80% of his starters/scoring are gone in one season? BB is not and never will be a good comparison to FB.

True although he apparently had enough stability to still have an OK season post-DM and Butler.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
give him 4-5 minutes a half

I could see Prohm putting in a zone to get him on the floor too.

Press and drop back to a zone might be the best situation for him on the floor. He's long, athletic. Let him bust his butt on a press and get him a couple shots. 4-5 minutes, 10 for a game, if he's hot, give him more.

Of course that's only if what the staff sees outside of the few game minutes I see warrants it.

Reactions: heitclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron