OT - Cutting Cable

2Xclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I just started the YTTV 3-week free trial earlier this week. So far it seems identical to AT&TLive except no HBO option. But for $25 less per month it'll be worth the switch I think. Depends if my daughter can access it while at school.

Set up family sharing and you can have up to 5 people stream off your account.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I have Gig for $105... You should call and ask about that also.

So that's an intro or promo price? Full price according to the rate card is $140. Any savings is great but it sucks when the promo price is done because without any competition at that speed they have no reason to keep prices down.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Golden Globe nominations were announced today. Netflix led the way with the most nominations (17) in both TV and Film categories. Most eye-opening: none of the major broadcast networks received a single nomination in any TV category - that’s ABC, CBS, FOX, CW and host network for the awards prevention NBC all being shut-out.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not sure if there is a new wrestling thread, but it amazes me weekly how much better quality the wrestling is on aew. The only thing that sucks is the production value isn't there yet. The jump cuts aren't great yet. I understand why they do them, but when the move goes well, especially in tag team+ matches, they don't go back to good replays showing how amazing the moves were pulled off.

Like I said I watch WWE now and them for story lines, I actually watch most matches in aew

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Going to cut the cable with Mediacom later this week. Have my phone/internet/cable through them and have been on a promo rate of $173 per month and now they want $273..I'm saying the hell with that! Local start up has a radio wave system that feeds into a fiber network. Speeds are slower but everyone I've talked to says it works just fine. Base rate is $30 per month for 30 MBM download speeds and they tell me to give that a try first and if that doesn't work can up to 60 MbM for about double the price. I've got an antenna that works well and will be splitting Hulu Live with my brother. The only thing I'm going to miss is the Cyclone network through Mediacom!

Reactions: cyfanatic

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Going to cut the cable with Mediacom later this week. Have my phone/internet/cable through them and have been on a promo rate of $173 per month and now they want $273..I'm saying the hell with that! Local start up has a radio wave system that feeds into a fiber network. Speeds are slower but everyone I've talked to says it works just fine. Base rate is $30 per month for 30 MBM download speeds and they tell me to give that a try first and if that doesn't work can up to 60 MbM for about double the price. I've got an antenna that works well and will be splitting Hulu Live with my brother. The only thing I'm going to miss is the Cyclone network through Mediacom!
273 bucks? Woof.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Well…I’ve tried Hulu Live and love the price, but I don’t know if I can handle the “guide”. Honestly…can’t stand it, and I’m thinking of moving back to DirecTV (after the first weekend of the tournament next week). The guide is just one thing though. I have a killer 5.1 surround system in the basement, and Hulu is only stereo. Give me a break.

Anyway…I don’t remember hearing about the audio limitations, and that might be a deal breaker.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Well…I’ve tried Hulu Live and love the price, but I don’t know if I can handle the “guide”. Honestly…can’t stand it, and I’m thinking of moving back to DirecTV (after the first weekend of the tournament next week). The guide is just one thing though. I have a killer 5.1 surround system in the basement, and Hulu is only stereo. Give me a break.

Anyway…I don’t remember hearing about the audio limitations, and that might be a deal breaker.

Lack of 5.1 was a big deal breaker for me as well last time I dabbled with cutting the cord. I believe YouTube TV is doing 5.1 now though.

Last edited:

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It looks like 5.1 surround is available on Hulu for some devices and content.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I just started the YTTV 3-week free trial earlier this week. So far it seems identical to AT&TLive except no HBO option. But for $25 less per month it'll be worth the switch I think. Depends if my daughter can access it while at school.
I have had yttv for a couple of months. NUMBER YOU FREAKING CHANNELS! It seems the channels are just there in random order. Make the channel fonts larger or something. Recording is off by about 3 minutes also. Your GOOGLE fix it! Otherwise its just fine.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have had yttv for a couple of months. NUMBER YOU FREAKING CHANNELS! It seems the channels are just there in random order. Make the channel fonts larger or something. Recording is off by about 3 minutes also. Your GOOGLE fix it! Otherwise its just fine.

I like that they aren't numbered...I rearrange mine occasionally. Put all the kids channels together, the news channels together (at the bottom), click the channels I will never watch off so they aren't on the guide. Numbers would screw my system up! I see now that YTTV will automatically put your most viewed channels toward the top of the guide now if you prefer.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I know people really like their guides but I just don't see the point of a guide anymore. Give me tiles everytime. Admittedly, I don't turn the television on unless I already know what I'm going to watch.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

I know this is a very old post, and this wasn’t true at the time, but you can now add HBO Max through your YTTV subscription, which not only gives you full HBO Max access but five HBO channels right there in your YTTV channel list. All for $14.99 a month, which isn’t too bad a deal.

• Agree

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I know people really like their guides but I just don't see the point of a guide anymore. Give me tiles everytime. Admittedly, I don't turn the television on unless I already know what I'm going to watch.
When I know something is going to be on channel 245 (because I’ve memorized the guide), it’s nice to be able to punch in the number and go, rather than have to scroll down a random or (even worse) alphabetized list to find TNT, or scroll through a bunch of tiles to get there. I can’t just “click and go”.

It’s about minimizing clicks. The streaming channels, oddly, don’t (or can’t) minimize them, or if they do, they really limit your view to what else might be out there because they automatically try to make things more efficient for you. I get the premise, but it’s a failed premise to me because I don’t want to just see the 5 channels I might use most.

Oh…and as funny as it might sound, a Roku remote (what I use for accessing ESPN+/Disney+/Hulu) is louder than a DirecTV remote. The buttons have a certain stick to them that pop when used. Not great when you’re up late next to the old lady who’s trying to sleep.

I REALLY want this to work (it is a hell of a lot cheaper and, well, I’m sick of calling DirecTV every 6 months to renegotiate with them. It’s a ******** game, and I’m tired of it), but there are things I’m having a real hard time with. 5.1 audio being one (I know they say they have 5.1 audio, but it’s not that simple…long story involving a Control4 remote). The interface being another. One more thing…I am paying for “unlimited screens”. “Unlimited” means five to Hulu, which isn’t the same thing.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
When I know something is going to be on channel 245 (because I’ve memorized the guide), it’s nice to be able to punch in the number and go, rather than have to scroll down a random or (even worse) alphabetized list to find TNT, or scroll through a bunch of tiles to get there. I can’t just “click and go”.

It’s about minimizing clicks. The streaming channels, oddly, don’t (or can’t) minimize them, or if they do, they really limit your view to what else might be out there because they automatically try to make things more efficient for you. I get the premise, but it’s a failed premise to me because I don’t want to just see the 5 channels I might use most.

Oh…and as funny as it might sound, a Roku remote (what I use for accessing ESPN+/Disney+/Hulu) is louder than a DirecTV remote. The buttons have a certain stick to them that pop when used. Not great when you’re up late next to the old lady who’s trying to sleep.

I REALLY want this to work (it is a hell of a lot cheaper and, well, I’m sick of calling DirecTV every 6 months to renegotiate with them. It’s a ******** game, and I’m tired of it), but there are things I’m having a real hard time with. 5.1 audio being one (I know they say they have 5.1 audio, but it’s not that simple…long story involving a Control4 remote). The interface being another. One more thing…I am paying for “unlimited screens”. “Unlimited” means five to Hulu, which isn’t the same thing.

I had the same complaints five years ago. I can't imagine going back to cable or satellite now. Everything is just so much easier after learning how to consume entertainment differently. For me it was about getting away from the guide and channel numbers mentality that finally made it easier.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I had the same complaints five years ago. I can't imagine going back to cable or satellite now. Everything is just so much easier after learning how to consume entertainment differently. For me it was about getting away from the guide and channel numbers mentality that finally made it easier.
We live out in the country and I never thought that streaming would be possible here, but we cut the cord a few years ago and couldn't be happier. We can stream on multiple TVs at once with no buffering. I thought I'd miss the DVR from DTV, but YouTube records shows for you. Now that smart TVs are the norm, you only need power and not a coax connection...that gives you a lot of flexibility on where to put TVs.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG and Acylum

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
We live out in the country and I never thought that streaming would be possible here, but we cut the cord a few years ago and couldn't be happier. We can stream on multiple TVs at once with no buffering. I thought I'd miss the DVR from DTV, but YouTube records shows for you. Now that smart TVs are the norm, you only need power and not a coax connection...that gives you a lot of flexibility on where to put TVs.
This was the main reason I cut the cord. Ability to be more flexible with location. During the Big12 wrestling tournament, I had 3 TVs going in the same room, and could have brought in a 4th, so I had access to “all” mats on a bigger screen than would be if I was relying on the quad screen. I’ll also leverage it for the NCAA Tournament next week.

I’ll try to get used to it, but it’s tough right now, especially with the 5.1 limitations. I mean…I spent a lot of money to have the set up i do, and Hulu doesn’t allow me to use it like DTV does. I understand YTTV has 5.1 (so does Hulu apparently), but I’ve heard it’s not reliable and i have a very complex/proprietary universal remote that causes headaches too.

I do also have one TV in the garage which is far from the modem/router that could be an issue. I obviously only use it when the weather is nice enough, but I love it when I can use it. If I stay with the streaming service, I’ll need to hardwire it, I think.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Go online and you can rearrange your channels pretty easily by sliding them up/down the list. I moved Big Ten network and conservative "News" channels to the very bottom.

I don't know what you're meaning by the recording off by 3 minutes? Are you saying the playback if you rewind a live broadcast? If so, I don't have that problem. There might be a 15 second delay, but that's the max I've ever experienced.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Go online and you can rearrange your channels pretty easily by sliding them up/down the list. I moved Big Ten network and conservative "News" channels to the very bottom.

I don't know what you're meaning by the recording off by 3 minutes? Are you saying the playback if you rewind a live broadcast? If so, I don't have that problem. There might be a 15 second delay, but that's the max I've ever experienced.

I completely removed one of those same channels from my program guide...and it isn't the sports related one!

• Haha
Reactions: TXCyclones

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I like that they aren't numbered...I rearrange mine occasionally. Put all the kids channels together, the news channels together (at the bottom), click the channels I will never watch off so they aren't on the guide. Numbers would screw my system up! I see now that YTTV will automatically put your most viewed channels toward the top of the guide now if you prefer.
I do locals first and then everything else is alphabetical order A-Z so easy to find.