Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Weird, heard Niang talk about how about how important the cyhawk game was to him during gameday week this year.
Georges liked the rivalry between the two teams and loved the hate that Hawk fans brought towards him but it wasn't even close to being the biggest game on the schedule for Iowa State. Most of the players on the roster grew up bleeding black and gold and only saw minuscule amounts of success from the program while growing up, while they saw Iowa State have a lot more success. Look at @CyTwins quote from Jordan Bohannon at the bottom of all of his posts. Lol that should tell you everything

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Why play at all if you know 100% you're going to shut it down? He can't even practice so why risk a possible worse injury like a broken ankle or a torn ACL? I'm sure you know that answer though lol.
Why did Naz risk it?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I wasn't trying to imply that Naz was playing clear until Burton was available, rather he was doing all he could to fill the gap rather than pulling the plug earlier in the season.

I wasn't trying to imply that Naz was playing clear until Burton was available, rather he was doing all he could to fill the gap rather than pulling the plug earlier in the season.
Yes, he was. Playing for his teammates, which I'm gathering from this thread is not cool to do.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Why did Naz risk it?
Naz wasn't sure he was going to shut it down until after the Iowa game. He hadn't told teammates, coaches or the media that he was going to be done for the year. He struggled in that game and knew that he was hurting the team more than helping.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What games did he sit out that to ensure that happened?
Naz didn't have to sit out any games because Iowa was the 8th game. He could've played 10. He sat out the next two because Deonte Burton was coming back. Naz did not know he was going to get surgery going into that year. He was roommates and best friends with Georges and wanted to finish his career with him. After the Iowa game he realized he knew it wasn't going to work and had to make the decision.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Don't know why they are all up in arms about JorBo anyways. They all say he is awful, but yet are afraid of him playing at the same time. Plus, Naz already did the same thing a few years ago.

I'm definitely not afraid of him this year. He's not shooting well. People just want to rag on him.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Naz didn't have to sit out any games because Iowa was the 8th game. He could've played 10. He sat out the next two because Deonte Burton was coming back. Naz did not know he was going to get surgery going into that year. He was roommates and best friends with Georges and wanted to finish his career with him. After the Iowa game he realized he knew it wasn't going to work and had to make the decision.

Oh I'm fully aware, anyone trying to compare the two situations needs to read your post. They are nothing alike. Naz sat out to have surgery, Jorbo is sitting to rehab after his surgery. He's no longer injured. Naz had to stop playing bc of his injury.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyPunch

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Oh I'm fully aware, anyone trying to compare the two situations needs to read your post. They are nothing alike. Naz sat out to have surgery, Jorbo is sitting to rehab after his surgery. He's no longer injured. Naz had to stop playing bc of his injury.
Please stop repeating this. Naz had surgery and it looked like he would make it back but it became clear that he was going to need longer to be recovered enough to be the player he was before. He sat out the rest of the season to finish recovery just like Jorbo will.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...cyclones-miss-remainder-season-due-hip-issues

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Naz had already had surgery. See my previous post and link.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Naz had already had surgery. See my previous post and link.
I saw it and stand corrected that Naz already had surgery thanks for providing the link. However, my point is still valid in the fact that Naz thought he was going to play that whole year. I know for a fact that he hadn't told his teammates nor the coaching staff that he was going to sit out the rest of the year until the day after the Iowa game.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

Some are saying that JorBo needs surgery on his other hip.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised. Naz got one done and then the other a month later. I hope he gets this taken care of and can have a pain-free career and life after basketball.
It's a common injury in basketball. I believe Hallice Cook had the same injury and had both hips done as well.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Strange how terrified some of you folks are of Jordan playing. Just weird.
I don't think there was one post where anyone mentioned being afraid of Jordan Bohannon. We were basking in the humor of him and the coaching staff doing anything and everything to make sure he can play in the big one.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
So, during T-Giving, I was at my brother's house for an "extended-family" celebration. My brother's wife's parents were there (both Hawkeye alums - the dad was a Big 10 XC champion). Both are great people and will root for both Iowa & ISU (2 of their daughters are ISU Grads) - as long as they aren't playing each other. We watched the ISU-Alabama game & then switched over to the EIU-TTU game after that. I found it rather interesting listening to the mom talk about both ISU's and Iowa's teams. She was a big fan of the fact that Iowa's roster has so many Iowa kids, but disappointed that the same is NOT true for ISU. She was not happy with Hoiberg for his recruiting tactics (too many transfers and "questionable" players) and that somehow he was unfair to Clayton Custer (a best friend of one of her grandson's) & "chased him off."
I did mention that Custer had mono and that sickness "put him behind the 8-ball" and that it was likely his choice to go somewhere where he could become "the man."
Anyway, the more she talked about being a fan of Kriener, Weiskamp, Pemsl, Till, Baer, Jorbo, et al, it reminded me of a LOT of Hawks I know in regards to their excitement for their roster - they like it that Fran is handing out schollies to Iowans - players who are legacies or fans. They feel like they are actually rooting for our state (probably why many of these fans are also big-time UNI fans).
Fran's recruiting technique seems to resonate with the fanbase (and, most importantly, to GARBAR).

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So, during T-Giving, I was at my brother's house for an "extended-family" celebration. My brother's wife's parents were there (both Hawkeye alums - the dad was a Big 10 XC champion). Both are great people and will root for both Iowa & ISU (2 of their daughters are ISU Grads) - as long as they aren't playing each other. We watched the ISU-Alabama game & then switched over to the EIU-TTU game after that. I found it rather interesting listening to the mom talk about both ISU's and Iowa's teams. She was a big fan of the fact that Iowa's roster has so many Iowa kids, but disappointed that the same is NOT true for ISU. She was not happy with Hoiberg for his recruiting tactics (too many transfers and "questionable" players) and that somehow he was unfair to Clayton Custer (a best friend of one of her grandson's) & "chased him off."
I did mention that Custer had mono and that sickness "put him behind the 8-ball" and that it was likely his choice to go somewhere where he could become "the man."
Anyway, the more she talked about being a fan of Kriener, Weiskamp, Pemsl, Till, Baer, Jorbo, et al, it reminded me of a LOT of Hawks I know in regards to their excitement for their roster - they like it that Fran is handing out schollies to Iowans - players who are legacies or fans. They feel like they are actually rooting for our state (probably why many of these fans are also big-time UNI fans).
Fran's recruiting technique seems to resonate with the fanbase (and, most importantly, to GARBAR
).
I suppose that's one way to look at it

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron