Campbell Extended

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
It just hit me:

Our own "Loyal Sons" in Fred and Cael couldn't stay forever true. Whatever get over it...but someone with no previous ties to this University has turned down opportunities to interview with programs well above us in historical stature, even NFL jobs.

For the first time in my 25 years as a Cyclone, it truly feels like we're "the darling of the ball". The level of gratitude I have for Matt Campbell could not be any higher.

If Campbell stays for the long term, there are inevitably going to be rebuilding years and years where we dont quite meet expectation. It happens to all of the great ones. When one of those years comes about, I hope we as a fan base are ready to show the same faith Campbell showed in us.

Agree with everything you said here. In regards to your last paragraph, two examples that have hit me this year are Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern and David Shaw at Stanford.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneFan4

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
About as believable as thinking Campbell tells a kid his contract "guarantees" he will be here as long as the kid is in school...

There are no "guarantees" from either side.
True. In absence of a enforceable "guarantee" i.e. threat of physical harm, this is a pretty strong demonstration of the university and Campbell's sincerity to each other.

NDA's, Non-competes, etc etc are only as valid as the willingness to enforce them. They are symbolic in nature. Well crafted docs demonstrate both sides intent to participate by the spirit of the contract, and outline the consequences if one side decides to abandon the agreement.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
My theory is that the agents that work for the coaches we recruit and compete against spread rumors about CMC leaving to help their clients recruit against CMC, and to frustrate CMC, more than a little bit, because he goes against the norm of paying an agent to represent him. I would not be surprised if CMC or his lawyer have been contacted more than once by an agent that says he can stop the rumors if he is willing to hire them.

I am retired, I have nothing else to think about......

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My theory is that the agents that work for the coaches we recruit and compete against spread rumors about CMC leaving to help their clients recruit against CMC, and to frustrate CMC, more than a little bit, because he goes against the norm of paying an agent to represent him. I would not be surprised if CMC or his lawyer have been contacted more than once by an agent that says he can stop the rumors if he is willing to hire them.

I am retired, I have nothing else to think about......
This is an interesting and very plausible take. And makes me love the guy even more if true.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Oh damn you dun it now Curt. Cult of Fred is not going to like you for disrespecting someone that basically brought ISU two National titles. Let's be real, we all know ISU was going to win out if not for those injuries to Niang and Babb. Plus, once we get that recruiting bump from those Natties we get Rashad Vaughn, don't get BDJ, meaning we win vs. UAB and go on to win Natty #3.

And his comment is laced in bitterness and untruth. The truth is that both fb and mbb are in great hands. Campbell turned the program around and Prohm is currently maintaining the program at Hoiberg levels. Hopefully he can surpass those levels over the next couple years. Fans should be grateful for everything they did.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Wouldn’t answer about whether another school inquired about Campbell, but there obviously was an inquiry made.

Memphis, PHX or Houston for bowl game

Fairly good info that Arkansas offered the job to him and was told no. Not, I’m going to think about it, but simply no thank you.

Last edited:

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Love it. JP knows how to time this things well to shut the haters up. When will outsiders start seeing why he genuinely wants to be at ISU? We have passionate fans, but we aren’t delusional like some of those other schools that were after him.
Obviously you didn't read the forums after the KSU game. We have a few that are walking the delusional line. ;)

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It's possible to be disappointed with the results of this season but still be really happy that CMC, who orchestrated this era, is back for more.

It’s ridiculous when the disappointment is the only thing posted. And that’s what so many of the crewe does for all sports. The mediocrity non acceptors make the fan base look dumb.

Remember the thread after the Iowa game? Hell, that’s pretty much been your one note this year.

so maybe Mix in a little context Give it a shot.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: CCCClone and Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron