Campbell Extended

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The Twitter feeds about this are just hilarious. Iowa fans split between "rejoicing" and fear, most Big 12 fans say we'll stay competitive and good with him around and he's a great coach (fear), ...then you have non-Big-12 fans who rag on the extension and on him for staying, but fans like Mizzou/ARK/FSU simultaneously insult him here while wishing he would go coach for them.

Brilliance, all of it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Love it. Dude is all in on BUILDING a program and doing unprecedented things at a place like ISU. Let the other pu**ies take the path of lesser resistance and stand on the shoulders of their predecessors.

Now fans need to get to work and buy tickets and buy lots of official ISU merch for everyone for Christmas.

It's fine for people to be a little disappointed this year with the elevated expectations. But I think it makes great sense to reward and do whatever you can to retain the staff that is the reason those expectations were so high.

Not long ago most fans thought at best we could be plucky little ISU that would get outgained by 150 yards every game, but hopefully can play a clean game, get a couple turnovers and get the ball to bounce our way and string together a few 7 and 8 win seasons.

Instead with the 7th highest SOS ISU was favored in what, 10 games, played sloppy as hell, dominated yardage and YPP in most games. I see that as progress and something I did not think was possible. Elevation of a program isn't linear, and there's enough uncertainty and randomness where the same team might swing between 10-2 and 7-5 on a few plays or breaks. That's just the way it is.

It's a great day for ISU athletics.

Those statistics that you mention -- net yards, turnover margin, etc. -- are much better predictors of future performance than simple W-L or points.

We basically need to do two things as a program...

(1.) fix special teams... yeah, those were bad
(2.) have a season of good luck, instead of bad or neutral luck

...and we would break through very strongly.

So happy to know Campbell loves Ames and wants to stay! :)

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The Twitter feeds about this are just hilarious. Iowa fans split between "rejoicing" and fear, most Big 12 fans say we'll stay competitive and good with him around and he's a great coach (fear), ...then you have non-Big-12 fans who rag on the extension and on him for staying, but fans like Mizzou/ARK/FSU simultaneously insult him here while wishing he would go coach for them.

Brilliance, all of it.

Nobody "fears" ISU. Die hard tavern hawks hating ISU and wanting us to suck is not the same as fearing us. We haven't beaten them in a while so not sure why they or anyone would fear us until we dominated them. We do have some begrudging respect from some opponents fans though, even the more cultured hawk fans. For the record, I sorta hate Iowa football but I've never feared them.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Is head coach of Mizzou better than any B12 job right now outside of maybe Kansas?

As someone that has been raised around a ton of KU and MU fans I have been having the argument the last couple days that KU right now is a better job than Mizzou. No bans, school has some money, didn't just fire a 6-6 coach, don't have to be fodder for the SEC teams with bigger budgets. Just be competitive and you are an improvement.

Oh, and yes, Mizzou fans absolutely thought they were getting Campbell.

Reactions: DarkStar

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Those statistics that you mention -- net yards, turnover margin, etc. -- are much better predictors of future performance than simple W-L or points.

We basically need to do two things as a program...

(1.) fix special teams... yeah, those were bad
(2.) have a season of good luck, instead of bad or neutral luck

...and we would breakthrough very strongly.

So happy to know Campbell loves Ames and wants to stay! :)

We need to consistently win the line of scrimmage. That's the formula and coach is well aware of it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron