Football Season Postmortem

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This season is disappointing, period. The team is better than 7-5. It happens. Disappointing seasons happen. But Campbell needs to break through here and have a big season in the next year or two or all momentum with the program is gone. Got to get a 10 win season and appearance in the Big XII championship game at some point. Have a really special season. Even freaking KU has had that for god sakes!

So if Campbell doesn’t win 10 games next year, we should fire him?

if not, what do you mean?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So if Campbell doesn’t win 10 games next year, we should fire him?

if not, what do you mean?
I didn't say that. Read really close. I said what I feel the result will be if we don't have a special season in the next few years. For those who struggle with reading comprehension here's a hint... the word momentum is involved.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Bunch of us Clone fans in sorrow at Whiskey River tonight, sad ending to a at hopeful 10 win season

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
How do we know you're even an Iowa State fan? You don't talk about the games, players or coaches. You just insult people. Maybe you're secretly a Hawkeye fan trolling. Or even worse, a Jayhawk

Always good to try to project

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
One of the biggest issues so far with Campbell’s tenure is our inability to play physical football. The two most physical teams on our schedule year in and year out - Iowa and Kansas State. Campbell is 1-7.

That being said, as disappointed and frustrated as we all are, he is way more frustrated. The staff will adjust and we will continue to grow. Hopefully this will just be a blip on the radar.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: CYDJ and exCYtable

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I have to echo this. Other than a few good quarters, the team was the same, running same plays and making same mistakes all the way through today. The fact that we struggled our last couple games of the season with the same issues we saw for UNI, really bums me out. I'm really nervous for next year.

This team was defined by their mistakes. Almost every game. Opposite of winning in the margins like the HC preaches.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I didn't say that. Read really close. I said what I feel the result will be if we don't have a special season in the next few years. For those who struggle with reading comprehension here's a hint... the word momentum is involved.

you said got to get to 10 wins soon. So you think he needs 10 wins to keep his job.

Sep 10, 2013
Yes, I've been drinking and yes I'm a perpetual downer, but perhaps Campbell has done as much as he can do. He's over achieved in taking a typically dog poo program and elevated it to near relevancy.
I can remember a time under Rhoads were I thought the ceiling for this program was to simply win 1 more game than we lost. Campbell has achieved the dream of mediocrity. We should be over the moon with his progress. Wasted potential and dissapointment are simply part of ISU fandom.
Going to bed now.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Things this year:

1. Defense regressed this year. McDonald getting pressure from the DE spot at the end of the year was one of the missing ingrediants though. We need pressure from the edge in the 3-3-5 scheme instead of blitzing with undersized linebackers and safeties.

2. OL play wasn't bad. Average to below average. After the UNI game, thought it was going to be terrible.

3. False starts. What the heck.

BadBoi

Nov 25, 2015
Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious. Your name is Cat. K-State fan hiding it in plain sight maybe? Feel like that's as solid of a theory as any
Do we really have to go there? I know it's a wild world, but take a break from the board till morning has broken. Come back tomorrow and we're all gonna be back on the Peace Train ✌️

• Funny
Reactions: CYDJ

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Obviously a better product than our last staff and 7 wins is not bad. We match up better with the stereotypical explosive Big 12 style of football, and that is important for our long-term performance. But does it bother anyone else that we struggle to stop physical downhill running attacks, even when we know it's coming? Do we have to choose between matching up with one over the other?

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Ultimately the team set the standard for itself. Did it "#Proveit"? Nope. No it didn't.

Are we still in the best position as a program we have been in decades? Sure. But we didn't take that next step this year. As Jamie said in his discussion with donors this year, 40 years ago we arrived at an intersection and we made a wrong turn instead of proceeding through to further success. Time will tell if this was a wrong turn but at very least this year is stopping at that intersection without proceeding.

The wrong turn imho was our AD hopping on a plane with Earle Bruce and getting him the coaching job at Ohio State...Thanks Lou McCullough for NOTHING!!!!!

• Informative
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The most disappointing thing is that Campbell got the players to buy in and have confidence. The talent level is the highest it has ever been with this program and it's not even close. A couple mentioned we took a bit of a step back this year and I agree. The little things are what made ISU good the last couple years and those are things that we didn't do very well this year. 7-5 is definitely not what any of us expected, but I expect Campbell and the rest of the staff will evaluate everything and break it down in the off season so that the players can focus on those areas. Recruiting and player development have been great, but game planning needs to get better.

Purdy is a talented QB but needs to work on some things, including his decision making. He needs to be allowed to run more. He has put up big numbers this year, but he is far more dangerous when he uses his legs.

Will McDonald the last three games has shown that he is going to be a really special player. Looking forward to seeing how high of a ceiling he has.

What Purdy really needs to work on is having a Better Offensive Line who can block well enough so he can STEP UP INTO THE POCKET.....

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Well, on the bright side, Michigan won't break the bank to steal a coach who just went 7-5, will they?

Also, this team is piss-down-your-leg.gif

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Yes, this was a disappointing season. This team is still so young, though! This sophomore class is ridiculously good.

Losing most of that offensive line is not a bad thing after that crap show last night. Look at the stars we have coming back next year. 9-3 or maybe even 10-2 next year and if everyone sticks around for 2021...that's the year we make a run at conference title and CFP. Patience, people!

Purdy
B Hall
Milton
Shaw
Kolar
Allen
J Bailey
W McDonald
Eisworth (?)
M Rose
Vance
Downing