Football Season Postmortem

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As big of a Campbell homer as I am, this is the kind of mindset we have to get over as a fanbase.

The next step for our program is a Big 12 Championship game. To accomplish that, beating Texas is almost a must, not just an accomplishment.

Completely agree. Five years ago would you have taken an uneventful 7-5? Absolutely. But at some point I think that mindset has to change. The reality of this year is we beat one FBS team with a winning record, and that was a very marginal Texas team. We beat very bad ULM, Kansas and West Virgina teams. We beat TCU and Tech who are somewhat competitive, but still had losing records. I think you could argue the highlight of the season was a loss to OU.

7-5 is what it is, but the whole thing just was very unfulfilling. Not a lot of great, exciting moments, not a lot of memorable performances. We won the ones we should, and that's really about it.

So do you take it as opposed to where we were 5 years ago? Absolutely. But I think next year will be time to really turn the corner and decide if we really are a top 3 Big 12 program.

Last edited:

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
That kid was missed, I think part of the issue with giving up some of those 3rd and longs was him putting pressure on the QB

Agree 100%. He was the guy who would get the sacks or enough pressure and force the QB to the point where the other guys (mainly Uwazirike) could get a sack, so that could be part of the reason for disappointing play

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
As big of a Campbell homer as I am, this is the kind of mindset we have to get over as a fanbase.

The next step for our program is a Big 12 Championship game. To accomplish that, beating Texas is almost a must, not just an accomplishment.

We were 3-9 three years ago. 2-10 before that. I’m not gonna allow myself to be disappointed with a winning season, ever.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Completely agree. Five years ago would you have taken an uneventful 7-5? Absolutely. But at some point I think that mindset has to change. The reality of this year is we beat one FBS team with a winning record, and that was a very marginal Texas team. We beat very bad ULM, Kansas and West Virgina teams. We beat TCU and Tech who are somewhat competitive, but still had losing records. I think you could argue the highlight of the season was a loss to OU.

7-5 is what it is, but the whole thing just was very unfulfilling. Not a lot of great, exciting moments, not a lot of memorable performances. We won the wons we should, and that's really about it.

So do you take it as opposed to where we were 5 years ago? Absolutely. But I think next year will be time to really turn the corner and decide if we really are a top 3 Big 12 program.

That mindset needs to change inside the program. And you are stupid if you think Campbell isn't disapointed in the record.

But the mindset does not need to change for the fans. A fan that is happy to at least be going to a bowl game does not effect the team at all.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
What happened to the Rockets this year?

Funny because it could provide ISU fan base a
ec683f3439aa79e80c9627829cae9ed5.jpg
moment. Had to use a third string QB due to injuries. On other hand defense is young and bad.

• Funny
Reactions: CYDJ

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We were 3-9 three years ago. 2-10 before that. I’m not gonna allow myself to be disappointed with a winning season, ever.

But don't you realize that if you are not bitterly disappointed tonight that the coaches will strive to finish 7-5 forever?

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
But don't you realize that if you are not bitterly disappointed tonight that the coaches will strive to finish 7-5 forever?

No? I’ve never talked to the coaches and likely never will

• Agree
Reactions: Jayshellberg

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
That mindset needs to change inside the program. And you are stupid if you think Campbell isn't disapointed in the record.

But the mindset does not need to change for the fans. A fan that is happy to at least be going to a bowl game does not effect the team at all.

Same thing goes for the fans that think the team underachieved this year...

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

7-5 is what it is, but the whole thing just was very unfulfilling. Not a lot of great, exciting moments, not a lot of memorable performances. We won the wons we should, and that's really about it.

Well put

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
No? I’ve never talked to the coaches and likely never will

It was a joke ;)

I'm just irritated with the fans that think unless Campbell comes right and out says everything he is mad about that he is actually satisfied. And at the fans that think the coaches are stupid enough to only want to get better if the fans say they will only be happy with 9 win seasons.

• Informative
Reactions: CYDJ and tolfbfan

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
Most disappointing part of the season was the lack of improvement from week to week. From UNI to KSU, the same issues were there. The team was unchanged. Great season by ISU standards. But the same can’t be said for most p5 programs. The series with KSU is like Michigan/tOSU or Virginia/Virginia Tech. It’s sad.

I have to echo this. Other than a few good quarters, the team was the same, running same plays and making same mistakes all the way through today. The fact that we struggled our last couple games of the season with the same issues we saw for UNI, really bums me out. I'm really nervous for next year.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
No. Read the first line of my post again.

re read the first sentence a bunch. That’s why the response.

if we didn’t have an all time great qb playing the last two years we would want to run Campbell out on a rail by now.

wtf does that even mean? If you aren’t going after the coaching with those assertions, then why even make that point.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

I for one am glad we finally got to the better fans that won’t accept mediocrity.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This season is disappointing, period. The team is better than 7-5. It happens. Disappointing seasons happen. But Campbell needs to break through here and have a big season in the next year or two or all momentum with the program is gone. Got to get a 10 win season and appearance in the Big XII championship game at some point. Have a really special season. Even freaking KU has had that for god sakes!