SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
source.gif

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
I have been giving it thought, and I haven't been able to put my finger on exactly why 7-5 seems disappointing compared to the previous two years. Now I have it: wins over ranked teams. We had ZERO this year. Nada, none. The past two years, we got really excited because of the wins over ranked teams, even top-5 ranked teams. This year, Iowa had more wins over ranked teams that we did.

Campbell was so out coached
BTW, I checked and Texas was unranked when we beat them.

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis
Yes, this was a disappointing season. This team is still so young, though! This sophomore class is ridiculously good.

Losing most of that offensive line is not a bad thing after that crap show last night. Look at the stars we have coming back next year. 9-3 or maybe even 10-2 next year and if everyone sticks around for 2021...that's the year we make a run at conference title and CFP. Patience, people!

Purdy
B Hall
Milton
Shaw
Kolar
Allen
J Bailey
W McDonald
Eisworth (?)
M Rose
Vance
Downing
Z Peterson
Newell
Uwazurike

Our new O-Line will be quite new and mostly unexperienced. D-Line should be good next year, but we will miss Johnson. I do not worry about receivers, because we still broke records this year even after the loss of Butler. Linebackers should be good. Lewis will be the only notable departure in the secondary this year.

You are saying the exact same thing that many said about us this year. We were hyped in the offseason to be a great, 9-3, 10-2 team this year, but we fell quite short of expectations. I myself am expecting another 7-5, 8-4 type season until we prove that we are better.

Reactions: Omaha Cy

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
from UNI game to KSU game...we lost the margins. Now give us a G-5 powerhouse in Liberty/Cheez bowl to have another close game

It seems like close games are the norm. Seems impossible to run away from anyone. We should accept this is the way this years team plays.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Is 7-3 with a loss to iowa better than an 8-4 with the extra win coming against a North Texas, Alabama A&M, etc.?

8-4 would completely change the potential bowl.

Replace the hawks with a guaranteed win.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
It is crazy that prove it also could used and be said from the team to its own damn fan base

i was only joking. the fan base believes, after 3 years, that this team should be 10-2 11-1 every year.

we’ve had decades and decades of ****. people woulda been ecstatic for 7-5 3 years ago.

this season was a disappointment with what we fielded, but we’re improving.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
i was only joking. the fan base believes, after 3 years, that this team should be 10-2 11-1 every year.

we’ve had decades and decades of ****. people woulda been ecstatic for 7-5 3 years ago.

this season was a disappointment with what we fielded, but we’re improving.
Couldn’t agree more.

• Agree
Reactions: CoachHines3

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is 7-3 with a loss to iowa better than an 8-4 with the extra win coming against a North Texas, Alabama A&M, etc.?

8-4 would completely change the potential bowl.

Replace the hawks with a guaranteed win.

Or, just win.

It's not like ISU hasn't had the opportunity to beat them. Just came down to fundamentals and ISU is not strong in that area.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Our new O-Line will be quite new and mostly unexperienced. D-Line should be good next year, but we will miss Johnson. I do not worry about receivers, because we still broke records this year even after the loss of Butler. Linebackers should be good. Lewis will be the only notable departure in the secondary this year.

You are saying the exact same thing that many said about us this year. We were hyped in the offseason to be a great, 9-3, 10-2 team this year, but we fell quite short of expectations. I myself am expecting another 7-5, 8-4 type season until we prove that we are better.

Well I can think of two games where a single play executed correctly at one point would have won ISU the game. So predictions of 9-3 weren't all that far off the mark.

The uncharacteristic nature of this ISU team to be sloppy in terms of penalties, or being just a hair slow getting to the ball on defense or getting a turnover that added up huge. It isn't like this team was head and shoulders, talent wise, above the rest of this conference in finishing tied for third. The opportunity to "prove it" was there every week and the disappointing thing with this team, this year, is that they were not often able to finish teams off.

But I'm an optimistic guy. Outside of the OL, almost everyone comes back next year knowing they botched their opportunity in 2019. They have the leadership in the locker room to use that as fuel.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Shouldn't there be a poll?

Hard to grade this season any better than a C+ or B-

Missed opportunities and 5 losses even with the best QB play in the history of Iowa State Football.

Part of that miss on expectations was my own fault. Replacing 2 key players who moved on to the NFL should've been a red flag for my expectation level.

...Even with the great play from those replacements

Hoping this is a bridge year to an amazing 2020 season

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ and Macloney

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That mindset needs to change inside the program. And you are stupid if you think Campbell isn't disapointed in the record.

But the mindset does not need to change for the fans. A fan that is happy to at least be going to a bowl game does not effect the team at all.

Nowhere did I suggest fan expectations have any effect on the team. I'm sure Campbell isn't satisfied and will spend the next 9 months making sure next year is better.

What I am saying is the fan rhetoric of "hey, at least we won more than 3 games" is going to get old. It's fine for a few years, but expecting people to be satisfied with what was, by all accounts, a very "meh" year simply because it's better than where we were 10 years ago is unreasonable. At some point I think it's fair for expectations to change.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron