Friday OT #1 - Disposable Darling

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanksgiving is upon us! It is admittedly not my #1 holiday, but there are always the foods about which I am most excited. A friend was talking about how excited she was for her mom's green bean casserole, and I realized that is most likely the food that could be absolutely slashed from every Thanksgiving meal and I would be just fine.

What Thanksgiving food do you like least, and would be happiest having removed from the day?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
When I was little, we would serve cranberry sauce, but then realized that nobody really ate it. So we decided to go away with it. This year, my wife wants to have cranberry sauce. If it were me, I'd wouldn't deal with it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Pecan pie and stuffing

Yep. Pecan and pumpkin pie are both at the bottom of the pie totem pole for me (if such a thing exists), and most stuffing is super mushy and bland.

Casserole. All of 'em.

THANK YOU. @Mr Janny makes fun of my general distaste for casserole, but your food should not touch. How do you enjoy any part of it when it's basically mixed mush?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
THANK YOU. @Mr Janny makes fun of my general distaste for casserole, but your food should not touch. How do you enjoy any part of it when it's basically mixed mush?
I actually like my chili better when it has been refrigerated and reheated because I think it is better when the flavors have had a chance to marinate together. Pretty much all foods are a conglomeration of flavors unless you are just eating cut vegetables or something like that. Why limit the possibilities?

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and hlb76

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yep. Pecan and pumpkin pie are both at the bottom of the pie totem pole for me (if such a thing exists), and most stuffing is super mushy and bland.

When you eat pizza do you separate the toppings, cheese, sauce and crust before you eat it?

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I actually like my chili better when it has been refrigerated and reheated because I think it is better when the flavors have had a chance to marinate together. Pretty much all foods are a conglomeration of flavors unless you are just eating cut vegetables or something like that. Why limit the possibilities?

But you're not throwing some totally unrelated foods in there and letting the foods marry - you're marinating the meat (and beans, if you're doing it wrong) with the flavors of the broth. It's not really a 1:1 ratio.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
But you're not throwing some totally unrelated foods in there and letting the foods marry - you're marinating the meat (and beans, if you're doing it wrong) with the flavors of the broth. It's not really a 1:1 ratio.
Considering the tact you are taking here, this is pretty bold of you.

:D

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm not a picky eater at all, so this one is tough. In the end, I could do without mashed potatoes and gravy. I like them, but I prefer them loaded with bacon, garlic, sour cream, cheese, etc as opposed to with gravy. Since we make both standard mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, I'd kick the regular ones off the plate. Sweet potatoes go better with the meal for me. Plus, losing a "heavy" food frees up more room for desserts.

Reactions: Angie

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Pumpkin pie is the bomb dot com, and casseroles are great.