Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Did you get the shingles vaccine after you got over the shingles? I haven't asked my doctor yet but I'm worried it'll be prohibitively expensive since my insurance might not cover the vaccine for people until they reach 50, so I'm ten years early. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll drop it after this.
They may not initially cover it, but if you have a history and your physician says it is necessary, you should go to the insurance company and fight it. If you produce documentation from your physician that says it is necessary due to your medical history you might have a fighting chance. Make sure you wage this war before incurring the expense, though.

• Friendly
Reactions: jbindm

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I used to do this too. Some info that was helpful to me was:

Mountain Dew 55.0 mg
Coca-Cola Classic 34.0 mg
Coffee, Drip 115-175 mg
Coffee, Brewed 80-135 mg
Coffee, Espresso (2 ounces) 100 mg

That's the caffeine content of those beverages. Yes, pop has some caffeine, but it's no more than half of a cup of coffee. So, when I'm thinking about a pop to give me that boost, I remember I can get twice the boost for a fraction of the calories (and no sugar).

Until you turn that Espresso into a Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha. Had one this morning (first one in probably a year), just checked the calories, and it's 340.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Not making the big gains (losses) you are, but I'm down 2 more to a total of 5 off of my high. Took the daughter to a football game last night that ended up starting an hour and a half late. Didn't have time to really eat anything before the game but a small thin reheated slice of pizza and a can of pop on the drive to the game. (Mama says that pop is the devil... @BoxsterCy says that too.) Resisted the urge to buy and eat anything during the game and when I got home I decided that a glass of water was a better choice than a midnight snack before bed. Small wins...

I'm already getting my mindset right for Thanksgiving. I think I am going to concentrate on tiny portions of all of the great food because I like to try everything. I am going to let it all sit for quite a while before I go for the inevitable seconds - again with tiny portions. The wait is just to let my body's satiety response have a chance to catch up. It's Thanksgiving so I'm not going to try to go crazy, but no reason to undo everything I have done. If I can get through the week at the same weight as I started I will take it as a huge win. If I only gain back one I will take it as a minor win. Snacking while we are sitting around playing cards or games and visiting with extended family is the other pitfall for which I need to watch out. I also need to remember to bring workout clothes to the in-laws so I am not tempted to just sit on my butt the whole time.

one thing that has been helpful for me is making sure I'm taking things I really like - not just taking them because they're there. Like regular mashed potatoes and turkey. They're both fine but I don't love them. I like sweet potatoes though. So instead of taking mashed, why don't I just take a good amount of sweet and skip the other. Same with turkey. Take things I actually enjoy and skip the meh or "I can have this any other time" foods.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Until you turn that Espresso into a Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha. Had one this morning (first one in probably a year), just checked the calories, and it's 340.
A full size snickers bar has only 250 calories. When I go to a coffee shop (not regularly, I usually make my own before leaving home for the day) I get a regular cup o' joe. If I'm feeling fancy I might put a splash of half and half or skim milk in it, but 95% of the time it is just cafe solo.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Did you check to see how much added sugar was in it? That might have been even worse than the calorie count.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Right. This is ignoring all the sugar and fat people add to their coffee. When I go to Starbucks, I typically get a grande cappuccino with sugar free cinnamon dolce. It's 120 calories, 2g of fat, and 10g of sugar (from the milk, no sugar added). For slightly more, you can sub in almond milk and improve the fat and sugar.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Right. This is ignoring all the sugar and fat people add to their coffee. When I go to Starbucks, I typically get a grande cappuccino with sugar free cinnamon dolce. It's 120 calories, 2g of fat, and 10g of sugar (from the milk, no sugar added). For slightly more, you can sub in almond milk and improve the fat and sugar.

I figure since I go to Starbucks and get one of those maybe 1-2 times a year, I'm not messing around with almond milk type options. I'm going full bore.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Just checking in to admit that I’ve completely fallen off the wagon. The grind of harvest caught up to me so I haven’t been to the gym in about 3 weeks and I’ve had an IV of Mt Dew in me for about a month. Done with harvest, need a week to recover (plus Thanksgiving in there makes it tough) then hopefully back at it the week after Thanksgiving.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Holding in check pretty well on approach of the holiday week.

I don't do technical intermittent fasting...I can't not eat breakfast.

But I've been skipping lunch lately and it's seemed to have some effect and I don't feel any different.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Sorry guys, I've been away from the scale this week due to travel. I'll be home tonight. It's been a rough week, but I'm a man of my word.

Probably won't have a pic on Friday either since I'll be at my parents. I'll post next Monday.

Reactions: SayMyName

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
They may not initially cover it, but if you have a history and your physician says it is necessary, you should go to the insurance company and fight it. If you produce documentation from your physician that says it is necessary due to your medical history you might have a fighting chance. Make sure you wage this war before incurring the expense, though.
You can go to HyVee pharmacy and get a Shingles vaccination without a prescription.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Sorry guys, I've been away from the scale this week due to travel. I'll be home tonight. It's been a rough week, but I'm a man of my word.

Probably won't have a pic on Friday either since I'll be at my parents. I'll post next Monday.

Hang in there. Enjoy the holiday (in moderation, of course)!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
You can go to HyVee pharmacy and get a Shingles vaccination without a prescription.

Right. But I'm not concerned about the accessibility of the vaccine. My concern is that my healthcare won't foot the bill. My understanding is that most insurance companies will only provide coverage for people over the age of fifty, and I'm not there yet. The vaccine can cost somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple hundred bucks. I can afford it if that's what it comes to, but I'd prefer that it falls under my coverage.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Out of curiosity, I opened this thread. Here are my thoughts.; You are fat because you are egocentric. You posted your problem here because you wanted to be noticed. You are up to 20 pages and 395 posts. Feel better? You are fat because you are lazy. You work at a desk job, don't exercise or even walk or jog, drive your car to work and then take the elevator up to your office. You are fat because you have no self control, and this is your biggest problem. You have a good job and plenty of money, so You treat yourself to all sorts of extravagances. Did you know you can get a cup of black coffee at Casey's for 79 cents, Zero calories? You say you want to lose weight, but wait until Nov. 1 to start you diet, and still don't start it by Nov. 25. You will be up another 10 # by New years day. Your weight loss program is all talk, you aren't really committed to losing weight. You could try stomach stapling, but that won't work unless you follow a strict diet.
Here's your future: You will continue to have knee, hip, and back pain until you knees give out. No competent orthopedic surgeon will do a joint replacement until you get your weight under control. You are a prime candidate for Type II diabetes, which can lead to diabetic ulcers amputations, and diabetic retinophy
What an absolutely garbage post.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Out of curiosity, I opened this thread. Here are my thoughts.; You are fat because you are egocentric. You posted your problem here because you wanted to be noticed. You are up to 20 pages and 395 posts. Feel better? You are fat because you are lazy. You work at a desk job, don't exercise or even walk or jog, drive your car to work and then take the elevator up to your office. You are fat because you have no self control, and this is your biggest problem. You have a good job and plenty of money, so You treat yourself to all sorts of extravagances. Did you know you can get a cup of black coffee at Casey's for 79 cents, Zero calories? You say you want to lose weight, but wait until Nov. 1 to start you diet, and still don't start it by Nov. 25. You will be up another 10 # by New years day. Your weight loss program is all talk, you aren't really committed to losing weight. You could try stomach stapling, but that won't work unless you follow a strict diet.
Here's your future: You will continue to have knee, hip, and back pain until you knees give out. No competent orthopedic surgeon will do a joint replacement until you get your weight under control. You are a prime candidate for Type II diabetes, which can lead to diabetic ulcers amputations, and diabetic retinophy

David Goggins, is that you? I get that this type of motivation works for some people, but not most.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron