ISU at Drake

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Just did a quick peek at Drake stats seems to be Sara Rine and Becca Hittner were their leading scores in a 1 game sample size. We'll need to play really well to get the win at Drake IMO, it can be done though. GO CLONES!!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ah, see that this is on ESPN+. Guess I'll be signing up a little earlier than I thought. Was thinking this was only MC22 in Iowa.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Thought about going today, but too much other stuff to get done and not enough time to do it all. Go Cyclones!! Hoping for good D, no scoring droughts, and a big fat W.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Got signed up for ESPN+.

Now, me impatiently waiting for the first real game of the season to start.

giphy.gif

PS: Check out my surround sound system! ;)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Good first quarter. Maggie the freshman had a 7 points in 4 minutes. Thurman had a really good short stint of 3 minutes with an assist and a steal. Nezerwa was pretty effective. Wonder how Scott's back is doing as she hasn't played much.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Can’t watch, but we’re shooting better but getting beat on the boards, almost two to one.

2nd quarter was all Drake while we managed only 11 points. Drake 39-34 at half. They stayed with our hot start in the 1st and totally outplayed us in the 2nd. :( Five point deficient feels like 10 if you weren't checking the score.

Drake has pretty much taken Joens out of the game although she is leading us in assists. Other folks made up for that in the 1st but not in the 2nd while Drake continued some hot shooting.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
86-81 Drake, final. ISU just dug too deep a hole to start the 3rd. They clawed back to within two in the 4th, but Drake kept hitting timely threes (15 overall, which is NOT good perimeter D on our part) and ISU could not get closer. Joens found her shot in the second half and ended with 21 points. Scott had 19, Rae Johnson had 10, while three others each had 9 points apiece. Drake out-rebounded us, but I don't recall by how many. :(

edit to acknowledge the errors in the stats: I was following ESPN online and they obviously didn't get the right figures. sorry!

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Hard to beat a team who is 15/34 from 3. Dont know if I liked the sagging junk defense, left Drake too open. Not the 1st time we see bad 3 point shooters do well against ISU. Overall team looked a lot better so I think we will be okay.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Box Score

Seems like the newest status quo. We beat Drake at Hilton. They beat us in DSM. We beat Iowa at Hilton. Iowa beats us in IC.

2019 86 - 81 L
2018 86 - 81 W
2017 83 - 80 L
2016 75 - 67 W
2015 74 -70 L
2014 84 - 67 W

Could have been worse, was looking like a possible blowout in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

And the ESPN+ feed was great, no stuttering, freezing screen and buffering nonsense like Cy TV.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Two things were the difference...horrendous defense on the 3 line by us and we shot terribly from 3. Need more scoring support...only three primary scorers won’t cut it. As we found out a team can focus on Joens or Scott and we will struggle. Really disappointed about literally no contribution from Camber.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Two things were the difference...horrendous defense on the 3 line by us and we shot terribly from 3. Need more scoring support...only three primary scorers won’t cut it. As we found out a team can focus on Joens or Scott and we will struggle. Really disappointed about literally no contribution from Camber.

Joens kept us from getting blown out in the 3rd and Scott shot us back into the game in the 4th but we had three players in double figures and three more with 9 each. I think we'd take that most games. Other than a drought from 3 point range in the 2nd and 3rd quarter scoring wasn't the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well they sure didn't quit. Nice comeback by the ladies amazing shooting night by Drake from the 3 point line. I've seen ISU teams go down there get down big and fold this team didn't do that. I thought if anything the refs gave us a few calls. Glad we shot good free throws. It was an entertaining game, hopefully it will be a great learning experience for them to grow on. Pretty sure this won't count as a bad loss come March.

Bought a ticket from a Drake fan and set next to him interesting fellow. His wife wasn't feeling well thus the extra ticket. He actually has season tickets for Drake, Iowa, and ISU MBB. he tries to make them all but on conflict nights he picks what he hopes will be the best game. A true fan of BB not just a team fan. Pretty knowledgeable about the game and just likes watching hoops retired coach, he was fun to sit with. Hit the snow about half way home bah humbug.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I watched both this game and the one with Southern. My oh my is there a vast difference between the quality of espn+ and CYTV. I only subscribed for a month to CYTV so I'll be canceling that in 30 days.

After watching the Southern game I concluded that Carleton and Middleton are going to be missed severely this year. It looks like Joens and Scott will carry the scoring load now. POST!! Need help in the post. It's going to be rough when they hit a team with athletic posts. Drake is a well coached team - very impressive. They were giving them room so they just kept bombing away at the three point line. Twas the big difference in the game.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Agreed. Drake shot lights out from 3, but I told my daughters as we left the game that every team will shoot better than their average when they are basically unguarded as soon as they spot up.

I think this team will get better at that, though. And I think they will ultimately be a decent 3 point shooting team.

Other observation - Maggie is going to be a very good player.