Amazon coming to Des Moines metro

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I mean you are walking around a giant warehouse plucking goods to be shipped, did you not think it would be a physically demanding job?

Agree - they have to walk around a warehouse and pick up boxes....isn't that kind of what was expected when they signed up for the job? A lot of people have to walk and pick stuff up as part of their jobs.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agree - they have to walk around a warehouse and pick up boxes....isn't that kind of what was expected when they signed up for the job? A lot of people have to walk and pick stuff up as part of their jobs.

From what i understand its more than just that its physically intensive. Very micromanaged with performance standards that often preclude the ability to do basic things like use the restroom without getting written up

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

So in story 1 we have a journalist that didn't really want to work the Amazon job, but took the job to see what it was like so she could write about it, then she didn't like the job/decided it was too hard for her.

Story 2 is a guy that lives in his car and had to sleep in his car in the Amazon parking lot when a blizzard was coming so he could make sure he got to work after the blizzard.

Story 3 was a story about Amazon workers planning a strike, and slightly mentions people "urinating in bottles" so they don't get behind on their work...which I find hard to believe but maybe that does happen.

Classic examples of modern journalism/media being nothing more than propaganda-pushing garbage.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
From what i understand its more than just that its physically intensive. Very micromanaged with performance standards that often preclude the ability to do basic things like use the restroom without getting written up

Truckers have tightly managed schedules that don't allow them to use the bathroom whenever they please. Construction guys same thing - if you are driving a dump truck moving dirt you better dump, get turned, and back to the excavator before it needs you because that excavator can't sit still.

If it was that bad no one would work there. Plenty of other jobs paying good money.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I hope these people never go into a chemical plant, steel mills, glass plants, etc. A climate-controlled environment and non-life threating environment vs one mistake and its game over.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Target Distribution in Cedar Falls starts at $18/hr so I’d guess similar to that.
most warehouse jobs in DSM are around $17 or more starting. its ****** work (hrs, conditions, physical) but easy and good pay for not needing any sort of prior experience or training.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Most companies have metrics to measure performance.
and most of them are easy to meet/surpass if you are even halfway decent at it. Hell I messed/****** around a lot and still met the req. most of the time working a picking job in a dsm warehouse.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Truckers have tightly managed schedules that don't allow them to use the bathroom whenever they please. Construction guys same thing - if you are driving a dump truck moving dirt you better dump, get turned, and back to the excavator before it needs you because that excavator can't sit still.

If it was that bad no one would work there. Plenty of other jobs paying good money.

have u not heard of adult diapers

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Being a Mom.

Sorry Bill Burr joke.
giphy.gif