Dana Holgersen is trash

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I guess I don’t know his circumstances well enough and can’t speak for how he was treated but I guess I don’t fully understand the claims of tanking. Are they doing something that kind of skirts the intent of the rules? Yeah. Do I like it? I don’t know. Is it tanking? No.

I kind of get and understand what they are doing. This year is going to be a disaster. I think they are fairly banged up too. Giving players the opportunity to redshirt and come back for a better year is different as long as they go out and try and win for the games for those who are remaining. It sucks but it’s sucks for all of them already.

Holgerson is a tool about stuff but that doesn’t mean they are tanking.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I guess I don’t know his circumstances well enough and can’t speak for how he was treated but I guess I don’t fully understand the claims of tanking. Are they doing something that kind of skirts the intent of the rules? Yeah. Do I like it? I don’t know. Is it tanking? No.

I kind of get and understand what they are doing. This year is going to be a disaster. I think they are fairly banged up too. Giving players the opportunity to redshirt and come back for a better year is different as long as they go out and try and win for the games for those who are remaining. It sucks but it’s sucks for all of them already.

Yeah they have decided to redshirt some of there best senior players so they can use them next season and be better next season. So basically tanking this season on purpose

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm not sure that is "tanking" to me? Seems smart to set your roster and your talent if you have lofty (and achievable) goals for the next season?

They're punting on this season by having their best players sit. It might be smart, but it's also tanking. They're intentionally making their current team worse and minimizing their chances of winning.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm not sure that is "tanking" to me? Seems smart to set your roster and your talent if you have lofty (and achievable) goals for the next season?

It's absolutely tanking. Houston is one of the easiest non P5 jobs out there recruiting wise so this all feels really unnecessary.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I read this last night. I couldn't follow exactly what the kid's claims or complaints were.
Just that Houston wanted him to redshirt and/or play injured?

The last interaction with Holgersen is a bad look. He easily could have stood up and shook the kid's hand, said good luck.

I guess I didn't immediately see the outrage this kid was trying to incite, or maybe I didn't understand what the point of this thread was.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So how many seniors are actually redshirting this year?

I honestly dont blame this Muphy kid one bit for being upset. From my perspective this is a slap in the face to current seniors. Theyve already put their bodies through 4 years of hell now this idiot wants them to stick around for another year. What if some of them are ready to be out of school and have injuries like this kid that just want to be done with football? Now you are asking them to sacrifice another year of their life just for your own personal gain.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

Well he recruited Grad transfers telling them they intended to "Win Now". So these kids came expecting full effort and they got a coach telling the best players to red shirt and tank the season for next season.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If sitting your experienced and talented players because this season isn't going well in order to prepare for next season isn't tanking then what is?
Maybe a semantics argument but to me tanking is purposely losing. I guess to me it is similar enough to normal redshirting that I’m ok. I’m not a huge fan of it bu any means but at least it isn’t purposely losing like you see in the pros.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

I think his biggest qualm was he came to Houston with the understanding that they were going to "Win Now" and when they started the season 1-3 and actively asked their top seniors to redshirt so they could develop the team to be a better contender next year. (Imo, pretty active tanking) and then the Star player you asked to do so ends up redshirting then transferring out of the program.

That isn't the reason I think the Justin Murphy guy posted, I think he was trying to show the hypocrisy of Holgerson. Claiming they were planning to "win now", then actively tanking, then telling the players still suiting up they better be 100% committed to that team, then the cherry on top of forcing a player who wants to play to not play. Oh and the fact that he was a douche to Murphy probably helped push Murphy towards posting that thread.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think his biggest qualm was he came to Houston with the understanding that they were going to "Win Now" and when they started the season 1-3 and actively asked their top seniors to redshirt so they could develop the team to be a better contender next year. (Imo, pretty active tanking) and then the Star player you asked to do so ends up redshirting then transferring out of the program.

That isn't the reason I think the Justin Murphy guy posted, I think he was trying to show the hypocrisy of Holgerson. Claiming they were planning to "win now", then actively tanking, then telling the players still suiting up they better be 100% committed to that team, then the cherry on top of forcing a player who wants to play to not play. Oh and the fact that he was a douche to Murphy probably helped push Murphy towards posting that thread.
I agree Holgerson is a tool and I don’t like the win now recruiting to this but I guess I don’t really have a huge problem with the redshirting by itself.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I agree Holgerson is a tool and I don’t like the win now recruiting to this but I guess I don’t really have a huge problem with the redshirting by itself.
I mean, I guess I am not either if the players are okay with it. However, actively asking your top 10 seniors to redshirt only after a tough start to the season is a bit shady, imo. I've also never heard it done before, so it could be more prevalent and we just don't hear about it.