Bank won't deposit my change?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Where at? This surprises me because I remember around the Des Moines Metro when they were making this change they had signs plastered all over the branches about it.

Minneapolis. I will say though that I used to work at a bank and know almost all banks still have coin counters just behind their doors likely in the drive up area. I have friends that still tell stories of customers (usually small businesses) that come in with bags of quarters they need run through the machine.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Veridian main in Ankeny still has a coin counter as of a few months ago. Free if you're a member.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
It's funny that banks are going away from this and pushing their app deposit systems now too.

I used to go to the bank 3+ times a week to deposits payments but the tellers steered me towards the new app that I can deposit checks with. Now I only go in when I have cash to deposit. I thought it was weird the teller was steering me towards the mobile deposit thus potentially eliminating their job.

I'm sure you know this, but they aren't doing it out of generosity, they are ordered to do so. Tellers (labor costs) have been the least preferred method of interacting with customers since ATMs became popular. I can't wait until they start charging a "convenience fee" for using the app.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I thought they stopped taking the paper sleeves because they had to run them through the counter anyway to verify they weren't getting nickeled and dimed.

My bank will still take my change jar and run it through the machine. I hate paying the 9.5% or whatever CoinStar charges.

Here is another one, the bank that we use for our charity group actually charged us a $4 fee for DEPOSITING CASH

ISWYDT

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm sure you know this, but they aren't doing it out of generosity, they are ordered to do so. Tellers (labor costs) have been the least preferred method of interacting with customers since ATMs became popular. I can't wait until they start charging a "convenience fee" for using the app.

I know I just thought it was funny. I got to know the various tellers pretty well and thought about saying "You know by pushing the app your pushing yourself out of a job right?"

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
As others have said, just use a coinstar kiosk and get something like an amazon gift code or other card. No fees for that, all yours.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
It's funny that banks are going away from this and pushing their app deposit systems now too.

I used to go to the bank 3+ times a week to deposits payments but the tellers steered me towards the new app that I can deposit checks with. Now I only go in when I have cash to deposit. I thought it was weird the teller was steering me towards the mobile deposit thus potentially eliminating their job.
Use your app to deposit the loose change the bank doesn't want to count. Just photograph the coin jar. Should be good. :D

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Use your app to deposit the loose change the bank doesn't want to count. Just photograph the coin jar. Should be good. :D

yep...and then after you've taken the photo & done your online deposit, melt it down and make yourself some nice jewelry.

Sounds like we are getting a solid plan formulated for ya.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
My credit union had a coin machine that can be used for free

The big banks do not have your best interests on the front burner

They are certainly trying to get rid of cash. And starting with coins is a logical first step.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Glad you posted about this. I haven't actually been in a bank since we bought our house and my kids have $30-$40 worth of coins they got from a "coin grab" that I was thinking of cashing in this afternoon.

I guess I assumed it was always worth having the coin machines because of the local businesses that bank there. Are they making small businesses sleeve their own coins?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Banks should have to accept coins. If places especially banks won’t accept them then we should get rid of them.

Good grief! The communist side of the China economy called, They like the way you think!

I guess by "they", you could be meaning consumers by taking their business elsewhere ( or at least I'd hope so).

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think the one difference we've found here is that Credit Unions are generally more reliable than Banks in this regard. And that probably isn't surprising.

• Winner
Reactions: cyowan

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Good grief! The communist side of the China economy called, they like the way you think.

I guess by "they", you could be meaning consumers by taking their business elsewhere ( or at least I'd hope so).
What?!? If we aren’t actually going to use and accept coins then we should have coins.

If banks are incapable of counting legal tender to deposit in an account then it shouldn’t be legal tender anymore. It should be turned in and replaced with money that actually works.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
What?!? If we aren’t actually going to use and accept coins then we should have coins.

If banks are incapable of counting legal tender to deposit in an account then it shouldn’t be legal tender anymore. It should be turned in and replaced with money that actually works.

That would be up to the gov't to decide to quit "printing" coins then. Not private enterprises. You have it backwards.

<edit> I see now., You were saying get rid of coins...not get rid of the banks. gulp! >

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron