Bank won't deposit my change?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Is this a thing now where banks won't take change and deposit it into your account? I went to my BofA branch this morning and took in a cup of change. It's a 32oz cup about 2/3 full. Probably weighs 5 lbs. I don't know when the last time I did this was, at least a few years.

Before I say anything, she says we don't take change. I say I don't want cash, I want it deposited into my account. Send it off, do whatever, I don't care. She says no, sorry, we don't do that. She then recommends I go to the grocery store and dump it into the machine. Which I'm absolutely not doing.

Is this common practice at banks now? I'm a bit flabbergasted that a bank won't deposit money into my account, even if it is change.

• Informative
Reactions: Macloney

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Is this a thing now where banks won't take change and deposit it into your account? I went to my BofA branch this morning and took in a cup of change. It's a 32oz cup about 2/3 full. Probably weighs 5 lbs. I don't know when the last time I did this was, at least a few years.

Before I say anything, she says we don't take change. I say I don't want cash, I want it deposited into my account. Send it off, do whatever, I don't care. She says no, sorry, we don't do that. She then recommends I go to the grocery store and dump it into the machine. Which I'm absolutely not doing.

Is this common practice at banks now? I'm a bit flabbergasted that a bank won't deposit money into my account, even if it is change.
I know there are banks with self serve coin counting machines, and charge for it. I know those machines are expensive and require regular maintenance.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The last time I tried my bank did it. But that was a LONG time ago.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

It is common practice. They ask that you put it in those paper sleeve things.

Last time I did this, I brought it to a Walmart that had a change counter machine. I didn't find out until afterwards but the fee was pretty exorbitant.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Angie and Doc

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I know most if not all Wells Fargo locations have coin counters in each branch and if you have an account it's free of charge.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
A lot of banks have done this now and I am not a big fan of it. It's horrible customer service not to offer that. That being said many Wal-Marts have Coinstar machines but the catch with that is you either have to donate your change, cash it in for a gift card to certain places, or pay something like a 10% fee if you want cash back. I'm a little more leery about it now too after seeing a post on our local FB page that someone warned the machine at our nearby Wal-Mart was not right because they had counted the change prior to going there and it said there was less than they said they had put into the sorter.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hmmm, haven't done this in few years but my credit union still had a coin counter. Now wondering if the new one I use has one. I do end up with less loose change these days since I charge everything. Should round up my quarters, street parking meters in St. Paul still take coins and cards.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I know Veridian in Ankeny has one. I guess I’ve never heard of banks not taking change before.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Dump your multinational mega-bank and bank local instead. Guessing you won't have any issues

Does seem like an odd policy. Haven't heard of this. I would have asked "why".

Was already considering doing this, and this will make it a definite yes. I've had the account for 20 years, but it's mainly just a bill pay/write occasional checks account. I don't keep much in the account but I keep it around so I have a branch to pop into and they're everywhere. If they can't do simple stuff like this for me, I don't have any use for them.