California legalizes college athlete endorsements

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I struggle to see how this shifts the power for an ISU, the main motive for the “against” arguments. Those arguments seem pretty short sighted by assuming that money isn’t having that same effect already. Coaches salaries, facilities, perks etc, and that’s before you factor in the bagman type scenarios. ISU would be in the same position it’s in now.

If they are valuable enough to merit 3rd party deals, regardless of the motives, let them get paid. I’m tired of watching a few get rich by exploiting easy targets that do most of the work.

Reactions: Mr Janny

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
How do they stop super rich boosters from paying a star player a million bucks to do a 10 second car commercial?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Instead of giving money to the University directly, they can give money to Jerseys etc. which has the players likeness and part goes to the player. This will take money from the overall sports budget which will hurt all sports, mostly the Olympic sports.

Who would get money from say, #7 ISU jerseys? Lanning or the WR currently wearing that number? Bret Meyer?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
That’s exactly what they’re enabling so I’m not sure what you’re asking? Or why that would be a bad thing?

Really? You think that's gonna happen for ISU players? Shoot, Alabama and USC's 3rd stringers will be raking in six figures. ISU players? Yeah right. LOL. Unless they cap what you can make, it will screw the Iowa States of college athletics.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
They wont be getting much advertising if the recruit they endorse rides the bench his whole career.

They won't care. They will only care about bankrolling three strings of high school all americans (even the "Walk Ons"). Don't think they won't.

• Agree
Reactions: GrappleCy

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Really? You think that's gonna happen for ISU players? Shoot, Alabama and USC's 3rd stringers will be raking in six figures. ISU players? Yeah right. LOL. Unless they cap what you can make, it will screw the Iowa States of college athletics.

This is what I was referring to in my first post. That advantage is already there for Alabama and USC. Of course their players would get more money, but what reason is there to think that their advantage relative to ISU would change? It’s the same competition gap we’re looking at now, just by a different means.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
This is what I was referring to in my first post. That advantage is already there for Alabama and USC. Of course their players would get more money, but what reason is there to think that their advantage relative to ISU would change? It’s the same competition gap we’re looking at now, just by a different means.

no, it's not. This will make it legal, and extremely easy, to load your roster top to bottom with NFL caliber players.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I fear that a group of wealthy people that support a school will get together, pool their money and raise 3 to 5 million a year to give to that schools players. There are 100 players total in football and men's bb. What is to stop these people from throwing in 100 grand each, get a couple of million and guarantee every scholarship football and basketball play 10 to 20 K a year to go to school at their university.
You have the kids sign a few autographs at the local mall, and its all taxed and above board. Schools like ISU will never be able to compete in this new landscape unless we also play along.

If they go down this road, they will have to set limits on how much money a player can make per year, and then hammer schools that cheat. Otherwise we will have the same 8 to 10 schools winning it every year. Or kind of like what we already now have.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
There are many schools out there with donors chomping at the bit to pay high end talent to come to their schools, unfortunately ISU doesn't have donors capable ($$) of that.

Although I think in principle, name/image/likeness is a sensible and realistic direction, you've presented valid gray-area questions that may come along with when it comes to changing rules. NCAA could declare a school may not promise endorsement deals as part of recruitment, but there's no simple way to find out if there is an informal arrangement to lure someone to one school over another.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
  • Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Stupid, pointless law. Last time I checked, it wasn't illegal for college athletes to make money in any state. And this doesn't change the fact that they will be ineligible by the NCAA rules if they do. So the lawmakers spent how much time crafting and passing a law that changes absolutely nothing.
This seems new.
It bars schools from kicking athletes off the team if they get paid.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Who would get money from say, #7 ISU jerseys? Lanning or the WR currently wearing that number? Bret Meyer?
Maybe this has been discussed. I couldn't bring myself to even buy a Lanning jersey if it was on, say, a blue and white shirt without any association with Iowa State. So, how much is 'likeness' and how much is 'Iowa State'? By himself his identity would falter. However, Iowa State could make pretty good coin from which he'll benefit. BUT all that is 'post' fame. Would I buy a shirt of the number 1 recruit who has yet to prove himself? For me the answer is: not until the team reflects his abilities.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
The only reason this is an issue is because football doesn't have a professional minor league. They should affiliate arena league teams with NFL teams and allow high schoolers to be drafted with a system similar to baseball currently. Basketball should do the same with the g-league. Problem solved as good players who want to profit now have that opportunity and can choose whether to get paid in cash or scholarship

This isn't a college sports issue. This is a professional sports issue caused by the NFL and NBA. Any solution that doesn't involve them isn't going to be good for the college sports landscape because the NCAA and college athletics is not just about basketball and football.

Hell, change the rules and numbers for practice squads. Draft kids to the practice squads and have the practice squads play a group format tournament (like the world cup) in March/April. There you go.

Last edited:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Don't have time to read through the entire thread, but isn't this as easy as the NCAA telling schools in California that the same rules that currently apply will still apply related to paying players and if they don't abide by them the same sanctions will be levied? It seems kind of like marijuana use and pro sports in states where it is legal for recreation. Those pro sports leagues can still tell their players they can't use marijuana or they'll face disciplinary action.

Otherwise, the NCAA could just tell the California schools to take a hike and they wouldn't be part of the structure that currently exists. The California schools would then have to decide whether it's worth it to form their own league and pay their players, or abide by the NCAA rules and stay in the current structure (TV money, postseason tournaments and bowls, etc.).

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Haven't read the entire thread, so maybe it has been discussed.....if this was in place when he went to school....do you think Troy Davis comes to ISU, or takes his chances at ESPN loving Miami(fl), Florida or Florida State?