This is bad news for Ku hoops ...

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I anticipate the punishment being along the lines of banning KU from the first three rounds of the tournament for the next three years...

Which ends up ACTUALLY being a free pass directly to the Sweet 16 for those three years.....

Kansas will walk away from this with nothing more than a scrape.
Yeah, I dont think so. My guess is a multi year postseason ban and Self suspended for at least a year.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
That's a good point about Adidas. Has there been any talk about banning Adidas from being able to sponsor teams? Could the NCAA do that?
If the ncaa cannot rule over fake college classes, how can they rule over who can sponsor high school AAU programs? Maybe they could try to go the route of banning Adidas AAU players from NCAA eligibility but that would be patently absurd and would no doubt end up with them getting drug through court.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
The real victim here is Josh Pastner. The guy runs a squeaky clean program all those years at Memphis, and then goes to Georgia Tech because of their fine academic reputation, but BAM! Holy NCAA violations! How was he supposed to know that they had committed violations when he came there? Poor guy, I hope he lands on his feet and can get another clean program started somewhere else.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
<sarcasm>The real victim here is Josh Pastner. The guy runs a squeaky clean program all those years at Memphis, and then goes to Georgia Tech because of their fine academic reputation, but BAM! Holy NCAA violations! How was he supposed to know that they had committed violations when he came there? Poor guy, I hope he lands on his feet and can get another clean program started somewhere else. </sarcasm>
FIFY

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The real victim here is Josh Pastner. The guy runs a squeaky clean program all those years at Memphis, and then goes to Georgia Tech because of their fine academic reputation, but BAM! Holy NCAA violations! How was he supposed to know that they had committed violations when he came there? Poor guy, I hope he lands on his feet and can get another clean program started somewhere else.

Pastner isn't getting a punishment.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Third bullet point is interesting to me. I didn't know the NCAA could impose fines to include helping themselves to a percentage of a school's budget for the sport in question.

I might have to rethink this. That $$$ from a KU basketball budget is actually pretty significant, especially if it includes the Adidas $$$ (which I assume it does). So in a roundabout way this is a way to punish Adidas for their role in the violations/activities.

I can see them (NCAA) liking the idea of getting money from KU's budget. Every big bureaucracy loves them some easy cash! Follow the $$$ is the old saying...

upload_2019-9-26_12-22-3-png.67119

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah, I dont think so. My guess is a multi year postseason ban and Self suspended for at least a year.

Do you think there's any chance Self coaches this year and then bolts for an NBA job? I read in one of the articles about this that KU can drag this thing all the way into next spring before there's even a hearing with the enforcement committee - KU has 90 days to respond to the allegations, the NCAA then has 60 days to respond to that, and then add another 45 days to set an actual hearing. It's possible an actual hearing might not take place until after the national championship game.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Do you think there's any chance Self coaches this year and then bolts for an NBA job? I read in one of the articles about this that KU can drag this thing all the way into next spring before there's even a hearing with the enforcement committee - KU has 90 days to respond to the allegations, the NCAA then has 60 days to respond to that, and then add another 45 days to set an actual hearing. It's possible an actual hearing might not take place until after the national championship game.

NCAA has actually delayed the all actions for about 2 months so the 90 days to respond doesn't start until November 20th.

• Informative
Reactions: jbindm

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
1) If the NBA wanted Bill Self then his name would likely have been mentioned in previous coaching searches. It hasn't been. So I doubt that.

2) Those 90/60/45 day deadlines have now been removed by the ncaa, so the process can now drag on for a really long time.

Anything is "possible" but I find it to be highly unlikely. He gets paid better than most NBA coaches and that amount of money goes a long way in Lawrence, KS.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
NCAA has actually delayed the all actions for about 2 months so the 90 days to respond doesn't start until November 20th.
Not really.

The ncaa will not act on any cases until Nov. 20th. Nothing is due by then and no clock clock start then. All briefing deadlines have simply been suspended for the time being.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
1) If the NBA wanted Bill Self then his name would likely have been mentioned in previous coaching searches. It hasn't been. So I doubt that.

2) Those 90/60/45 day deadlines have now been removed by the ncaa, so the process can now drag on for a really long time.

Anything is "possible" but I find it to be highly unlikely. He gets paid better than most NBA coaches and that amount of money goes a long way in Lawrence, KS.

Reactions: VeloClone

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Ha! The NCAA is so mad at Kansas/Self they're going to ban GT/Pastner to show'em!

GT getting a post season band is bad news for KU due to showing the NCAA is looking to make a statement against schools implicated in providing benefits outside the rules. I believe the extra attention the Federal Trial has the NCAA a bit embarrassed and they want to make a statement and regain the appearance of control over the schools (and away from the shoe money).
My guess is that you are right-on in your assessment of the situation. My post was more of the sarcastic, "I'll believe it when I see it" response based upon the history of bluebloods somehow being immune to penalties for wrong doing.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Whenever you think a blue blood is going to get punished, always remember this quote:
"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation."

Jerry Tarkanian

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
NCAA will say KU took in-house disciplinary measures and give them probation for 1 year with no scholly or recruiting restrictions.

We've seen this before
This could be different. KU didn't take many disciplinary measures themselves. This punishment will be reduced but will still be pretty significant. Self may coach KU this year but I don't think he'll be coaching next year.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Not really.

The ncaa will not act on any cases until Nov. 20th. Nothing is due by then and no clock clock start then. All briefing deadlines have simply been suspended for the time being.

Might want to read what I wrote again. All you did was repeat what I wrote. Try again.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
KU FB/Basketball Mix here (Reporting from the KC Star 9/27):

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/c...2.html?utm_source=pushly&intcid=pushly_449990

On Monday, KU pointed to the previous self-reported violations under Beaty as an example of its compliance system working correctly. But at the same time, KU plans to vigorously defend men’s basketball coach Bill Self and his program, which faces five Level I violations, the most serious the NCAA can allege.

This week, The Star found five instances of KU football analysts — prohibited from giving on-field instruction by NCAA bylaw 11.7.3 — appearing to coach players over the last five months. The game and practice video reviewed included multiple examples of a special teams analyst giving directions during drills on April 9 and Aug. 9 and also in KU’s 29-24 home loss to West Virginia on Saturday.

"rut row."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron