Iowa State and Iowa issue joint statement on marching bands

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
About all they can say is that we've offered to help sort this issue out but have been presented no information on which to act. With 4 cops with the band I just don't see how anything much more than verbally harassing them could have happened. I hope we get this put to rest soon.
I saw that crawl on the ESPN broadcast and it now make ISU look bad....and the crappy thing is most dont see what makes it look bad is U of Iowa students that went to social media to blast Barta

I wish the crawl read "Iowa Band Members Feel Iowa AD covering up incident" or something.

I agree, ISU PR folks should put out a statement offering all our police/game ops resources to help investigate. (Even though JP already did that).

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
With 4 cops with the band I just don't see how anything much more than verbally harassing them could have happened. I hope we get this put to rest soon.

Given the area they're claiming it happened there was also likely a lot of other police/security in the area as well

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Is there sexual assault? Pushing someone out of the way is different than groping them. I will say if they stopped and did some of their formation things it could get frustrating to a drunk person especially if they were trash talking like some have said they were. It was a slow moving band. Not saying you should shove someone but I can see a drunk person doing it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What area are they saying? Was it befor or after the game?

It has sounded like they're saying the worst happened after the game... But the area that would've been would've been around the NW gate where there would have been additional police and third party security

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
What area are they saying? Was it befor or after the game?

The claim is that things happened after the game.

The U of I band exited the stadium via the NW entrance. Per reports, their bus was located on the street in front of the stadium. Thus the distance from their exit to their bus was possibly the shortest distance available anywhere at the stadium. The NW entrance and the area next to the street north of the stadium generally has a reasonably large law enforcement presence, especially after the game.

As of right now, no one in law enforcement has reported seeing anything.

Now that a timeline has been given, events occurring post-game, and a location, the NW entrance, it should be easy to watch the security cameras and see if something happened.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So Barta and Pollard agreed to come out with a joint statement that both sides do terrible things to the opposing teams bands, and it needs to stop. And then this was supposed to all go away.

But the Iowa band members then went ballistic on Barta, so now he's opening it back up, it's crawling again on the bottom of the screen on ESPN, and now it might possibly be on GMA?

If this story amounts to nothing more than some verbal abuse, some drinks being thrown, and maybe a little pushing an shoving.... then JP needs to go after retribution from Iowa IMO about all this PR damage that's been done to ISU.

I hope there's video of the Iowa Marching Band chanting "F**K STATE" after the game too. That would look great on GMA.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I saw that crawl on the ESPN broadcast and it now make ISU look bad....and the crappy thing is most dont see what makes it look bad is U of Iowa students that went to social media to blast Barta

I wish the crawl read "Iowa Band Members Feel Iowa AD covering up incident" or something.

I agree, ISU PR folks should put out a statement offering all our police/game ops resources to help investigate. (Even though JP already did that).

Nobody cares about Iowa or Iowa State in other places in the world. The scroll headline is enough to win the pr battle.

That’s what this is, was, and always will be about.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Here’s my question: What does anyone hope to accomplish with this whole reopening thing? Other than placating band members parents, what can even be done now? Obviously they have looked at the video...it was dark out and probably impossible to pick out faces. It’s been said that the broken ribs were a result of something else, so we are talking about some beer on feet, a possible bottle thrown and a girl probably getting her butt grabbed. Is that national news? Especially when the ISU band has been subjected to the same thing for years? If it’s impossible to prove anything or press charges, the just shut up and move on.

STLISU

Aug 25, 2017
St. Louis (CWE)
Is there sexual assault? Pushing someone out of the way is different than groping them. I will say if they stopped and did some of their formation things it could get frustrating to a drunk person especially if they were trash talking like some have said they were. It was a slow moving band. Not saying you should shove someone but I can see a drunk person doing it.
As long as we are investigating, I would include an investigation of what role the Iowa bands behavior played in the alleged incidents. The taunting and playing fight songs as they marched through the crowd did that incite violence?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The claim is that things happened after the game.

The U of I band exited the stadium via the NW entrance. Per reports, their bus was located on the street in front of the stadium. Thus the distance from their exit to their bus was possibly the shortest distance available anywhere at the stadium. The NW entrance and the area next to the street north of the stadium generally has a reasonably large law enforcement presence, especially after the game.

As of right now, no one in law enforcement has reported seeing anything.

Now that a timeline has been given, events occurring post-game, and a location, the NW entrance, it should be easy to watch the security cameras and see if something happened.

I’m going to assume the video has already been watched and is in the hands of the proper authorities

• Agree
Reactions: JayV

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m questions if they were marching or just walking to their bus. They would have had to break formation to fit through the gates with the herd of people walking out. I’ve went through that gate and been pushed before by someone wanting through. It’s not a small group of people there.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
As long as we are investigating, I would include an investigation of what role the Iowa bands behavior played in the alleged incidents. The taunting and playing fight songs as they marched through the crowd did that incite violence?

Nah. Man nobody deserves to be assaulted, regardless of whatever trash talking they may do after a tough game.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Here’s my question: What does anyone hope to accomplish with this whole reopening thing? Other than placating band members parents, what can even be done now? Obviously they have looked at the video...it was dark out and probably impossible to pick out faces. It’s been said that the broken ribs were a result of something else, so we are talking about some beer on feet, a possible bottle thrown and a girl probably getting her butt grabbed. Is that national news? Especially when the ISU band has been subjected to the same thing for years? If it’s impossible to prove anything or press charges, the just shut up and move on.

It’s another attempt to win the pr battle. Has Barta ever actually won a pr battle?

QCHawkeye

Mar 22, 2013
Bettendorf, IA
Iowa’s band was on the field after the game and a ISU staff member told them to get “the F off the field”. He then apologized but the band was still told they needed to get off the field. Then the 4 officers that were with the band went ahead to clear a path so they could leave since there were fans also leaving. They were not around when the alleged events happened. Apparently it was adults and not students. Security was with the band but left them which is why none of them saw anything.

Barta failed here as he did not contact authorities when this was reported. The band members involved were told the Iowa AD department would handle it which is why nothing was done initially. They were trying to get out of Ames and it was reported to the band director who contacted Barta. I don’t blame the band I blame Barta because he could have done something right away and didn’t.

• Creative
Reactions: NWICY and CyDude16

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Iowa’s band was on the field after the game and a ISU staff member told them to get “the F off the field”. He then apologized but the band was still told they needed to get off the field. Then the 4 officers that were with the band went ahead to clear a path so they could leave since there were fans also leaving. They were not around when the alleged events happened. Apparently it was adults and not students. Security was with the band but left them which is why none of them saw anything.

Barta failed here as he did not contact authorities when this was reported. The band members involved were told the Iowa AD department would handle it which is why nothing was done initially. They were trying to get out of Ames and it was reported to the band director who contacted Barta. I don’t blame the band I blame Barta because he could have done something right away and didn’t.

Link?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Why was the band on the field?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron