Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Prior to this, here's what we knew:

1. Barta press release "Inappropriate actions". I'd be shocked if inappropriate actions toward the band didn't happen every time, so I didn't bat too much of an eye about it. Plus, some of the rumors were so outlandish there is no way I believed them.
2. Pollard rebuttal - we don't know what happened or when. I think, well, might be a nothingburger.
3. Barta - "we're moving on". Well no offense I'm not going to be losing sleep on it a this point.
4. Band bucks Barta and starting taking to social. Well, it's officially crap hits the fan territory with every awful thing possible being alleged. You can't just not do something about sexual assault, period. Also, these are people putting their names behind it, not just random internet rumors.

They're putting their own names out there, but still none of the victims have gone to the police. I think it's likely that some Iowa State fans were complete pieces of ****, but I don't see what Iowa State University did wrong here, or what they CAN do until there's some kind of formal complaint.

Reactions: Rogue52

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
How about we have a victim or witness contact one of the multitude of law enforcement agencies that could investigate rather than reporting based on a social media app notorious for spreading false information and fake news?
Yes. Why do theyexpect Iowa or Iowa State's athletic department, or band department to conduct a criminal investigation?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Band members needed to notify police immediately. It's impossible to do anything about it now.

The outcome of this needs to be no more visiting bands. Who knows what did and didn't happen but these accusations are only going to make it worse, not better.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
What was the sexual assault? An ass grab? A whistle followed by "Hey hot band nerd?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yes. Why do theyexpect Iowa or Iowa State's athletic department, or band department to conduct a criminal investigation?

Nobody expects that. It's Iowa's athletic and/or band department's job to alert the proper authorities on behalf of the affected band members. Generally they would work through Iowa State's athletic department, whose job it is to cooperate with an investigation and take its own (non-legal) action against the offenders if it chooses to.

There's obviously nothing preventing band members from reporting this to the authorities on their own as individuals, but generally speaking a well-functioning university would step in and facilitate that for its students.

Last edited:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
https://www.press-citizen.com/story...ysical-sexual-assault-allegations/2384185001/

The violence, he and other students said, unfolded as band members made their way back to the bus, what started as verbal assaults and racial slurs turned violent: One student was forcefully groped while another suffered broken ribs, according to several accounts.

Students have continued to post photos on social media of bruising injuries they suffered, said Paige Pearson, a junior at UI and a trumpet player in the Hawkeye Marching Band.

I'm to the point that somebody needs to call the cops. This stuff needs investigated, and not by an athletic department.
If it’s on the way I’m calling total BS. We were right by the bad as they walked to the bus. They were antagonizing the fans and I saw nothing happen. We passed them as they got on so I guess something could have happened then but not while walking.

Actually my dad an Iowa fan was more mad at them for coming out the west side instead of the east entrance.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Nobody expects that. It's Iowa's athletic and/or band department's job to alert the proper authorities on behalf of the affected band members. Generally they would work through Iowa State's athletic department, whose job it is to cooperate with an investigation and take its own (non-legal) action against the offenders if it chooses to.

There's obviously nothing preventing band members from reporting this to the authorities on their own as individuals, but generally speaking a well-functioning university would step in and facilitate that for its students.

Actually, a university, well-functioning or not, will do everything it can to keep the circle small and solve it quietly.
It really requires the victims or an advocate who cares to get them connected with the police. Doing that as a university employee/official is pretty difficult.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Actually, a university, well-functioning or not, will do everything it can to keep the circle small and solve it quietly.
It really requires the victims or an advocate who cares to get them connected with the police. Doing that as a university employee/official is pretty difficult.

Sure they want to keep it quiet but the ability to keep the lid on a criminal matter is pretty limited. At some point it will get out out. Of course, it's obviously a much smaller, more isolated story when you don't **** it up like Barta has.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Sure they want to keep it quiet but the ability to keep the lid on a criminal matter is pretty limited. At some point it will get out out. Of course, it's obviously a much smaller, more isolated story when you don't **** it up like Barta has.

When I've taken the training modules at ISU and DMACC, there aren't many, if any, points where there's a push to involve authorities.
And not much really gets out. People don't like reliving their awful moments.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Hawkeye AD issues vague public accusation about ISU fans mistreating his marching band. Meanwhile, ISU student is donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to University of Iowa children's hospital.

Yeah, that about sums up the difference between the two institutions.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So this band issue is now showing on the crawl of the Cows vs Cowboys game on ABC

I hope we can get to the bottom of this. If ISU fans were that abusive and no one stepped up to stop it in the crowd then we have a true issue.

I can't imagine kids could be abused that badly and no one would step up.

Reactions: Cardinal2001

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So this band issue is now showing on the crawl of the Cows vs Cowboys game on ABC

I hope we can get to the bottom of this. If ISU fans were that abusive and no one stepped up to stop it in the crowd then we have a true issue.

I can't imagine kids could be abused that badly and no one would step up.

I can’t imagine they could be that abused in the presence of law enforcement without the LE noticing it or the people being abused immediately reporting it to them.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron