Iowa State and Iowa issue joint statement on marching bands

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree with most things JP has done and continues to do for ISU, but I strongly disagree that he let Barta off the hook after Barta publicly and nationally tried to hurt our reputation a second time.

Best thing from a PR standpoint is probably just to get the story finished, which this statement should hopefully do.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
I have heard multiple Hawk fans say one or more band members were physically assaulted and that one had broken ribs.....c'mon man. In this day and age, that would be on FB, Instagram, and Twitter in 0.2 sec. Plus, Pollard said tell us where and when and we likely have video of it. I am willing to bet it was a lot of verbal abuse (not great) and ZERO of the rest is true.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
What's telling to me is that we're nearly four days after the game with reporters watching this story closely, and to my knowledge we've got nobody on the record with a complaint. If something serious had happened, I have to think we would know more by now.

That doesn't mean nothing happened. What seems more likely is that Barta had no idea how Iowa fans treated ISU visitors and band members in Kinnick until this story blew up and Pollard and ISU fans responded with their own stories. Once confronted with that, he realized that what happened in Ames was (sadly) fairly routine and that airing this publicly wouldn't solve anything.

I guess after he exhausted all other options, Gary Barta finally did the right thing.

I think this is exactly what happened. Barta heard a rumor and went all in thinking he had a gotcha moment. Then instead of the corroborating evidence of this incident, he could a flood of incidents from former ISU band members detailing decades of mistreatment in iowa city and had to tuck tail and try to save face.

Sorry Barta, try as you might the ****** colors of your fanbase keep shining through. Just like the big locker room theft story a couple years back.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have heard multiple Hawk fans say one or more band members were physically assaulted and that one had broken ribs.....c'mon man. In this day and age, that would be on FB, Instagram, and Twitter in 0.2 sec. Plus, Pollard said tell us where and when and we likely have video of it. I am willing to bet it was a lot of verbal abuse (not great) and ZERO of the rest is true.

I think Barta probably crapped his pants when Pollard came out and said that there are cameras basically everywhere inside and outside of Jack Trice Stadium, so if anything did happen we should be able to find it on video.

At that point, Barta knew he was screwed and would have to settle for a joint statement at best.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
If we at all think the stuff that happens between our fanbases is not pleasant, you should go to an Auburn/Georgia game, or an LSU/Alabama game, or an Auburn/Alabama game.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If we at all think the stuff that happens between our fanbases is not pleasant, you should go to an Auburn/Georgia game, or an LSU/Alabama game, or an Auburn/Alabama game.
Are their ADs as incompetent as Gary Barta though? I know theres dooshers everywhere but how he's still employed is baffling.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
You know how I will stop all this acrimony and meanness?......Love. Love wins. Love and Taylor Swift cyber bullying these mean Haters. We're gonna SWAT all those that don't denounce this meanness.

• Winner
Reactions: jcyclonee

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
They are the worst. Sunday I took my 4 year old around town for a few things. He dressed himself in Iowa State clothes. Some idiot bends over and yells "Go Hawks" in his face. WTF is wrong with people?!?!

this is the type of stuff that I hate to hear. Adults should be above things like that.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
People have literally killed each other for Auburn/Alabama

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
They are the worst. Sunday I took my 4 year old around town for a few things. He dressed himself in Iowa State clothes. Some idiot bends over and yells "Go Hawks" in his face. WTF is wrong with people?!?!
This whole era of talking smack and making it out to be acceptable is the problem IMO. It's one thing to do it to people you know but it has crossed the line where you have strangers doing it to others they don't know. I've never talked smack and never will.

• Winner
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not related to bands but Iowa fans may want to stay away from that Wisconsin game if they don't want to be outraged.

Every home game, the student section of roughly 10-15,000 students in plain site/sound have a tradition where one half yells 'Eat Sh*t! and the other half yells 'F*** you!' back and forth for a good 5 minutes.

Just not that family friendly white picket fence kind of fanmanship that Iowa fans are probably out there gloating about right now.

They'll stick with this for as long as they can like they stuck to the Eustachy thing while the Pierre Pierce stuff was going on.

• Agree
Reactions: 06_CY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not related to bands but Iowa fans may want to stay away from that Wisconsin game if they don't want to be outraged.

Every home game, the student section of roughly 10-15,000 students in plain site/sound have a tradition where one half yells 'Eat Sh*t! and the other half yells 'F*** you!' back and forth for a good 5 minutes.

Just not that family friendly white picket fence kind of fanmanship that Iowa fans are probably out there gloating about right now.

They'll stick with this for as long as they can like they stuck to the Eustachy thing while the Pierre Pierce stuff was going on.

I thought you were going to say it’s because that one numb nuts said he Peed in cups and threw it on Wisconsin fans

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Call me pessimistic, skeptical, whatever, but I feel a statement like this is just going to make things worse for the visiting team's fans/band in the future.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Best thing from a PR standpoint is probably just to get the story finished, which this statement should hopefully do.
This. Barta got caught with his pants down and JP doesn't want this nonsense spreading around further so I expect both sides to never talk about it again. Everyone will forget about it and move on with their lives.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NWICY

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
JP is a much better man than me in helping barta save face. I would have thrown uofi under the bus and not thought twice about it.

I would still like to know what the accusation was that garnered such a snowflake response from the head of the uofi athletic department.
I feel like Pollard did throw the UofI under the bus during the press conference on Monday, but in a not throw them under the bus kind of way by sticking to the facts of there being no police report despite the four officers that were with the band, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This. Barta got caught with his pants down and JP doesn't want this nonsense spreading around further so I expect both sides to never talk about it again. Everyone will forget about it and move on with their lives.

I figured JP agreed since hawk fans struggle reading and come next year when they do their moronic things in their moronic ways, JP will have Barta by the nuts even more.