HICKORY PARK

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So new owners that say they arent going to change a thing. It's even a local investment group run by an ISU alum. Sounds like a big nothing burger to me.

Yeah could be nothing more than the prior owner cashing out his business.

If they do intend on expanding not sure it'll go all that well. HP does well because it's a local institution that can serve a lot of people quick and fast, but it's good isn't anything special. Dont think that'll translate into success elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Hmmm, worked there in college as a cook and am kind of surprised the old man didn’t sell it to his son. He was a manager there at the time and always thought he was positioning himself to take it over some day.

Apparently his son already ran another restuarant to the ground in Ames many years ago so not sure this was ever the plan. Wont say too much and maybe this person will eventually post more here if they choose to but I know there is a poster here that worked there for a few years and got to know some of the key people running the place and apparently the owners son wasnt exactly the most liked person there.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Hmmm, worked there in college as a cook and am kind of surprised the old man didn’t sell it to his son. He was a manager there at the time and always thought he was positioning himself to take it over some day.

Apparently his son already ran another restuarant to the ground in Ames many years ago so not sure this was ever the plan. Wont say too much and maybe this person will eventually post more here if they choose to but I know there is a poster here that worked there for a few years and got to know some of the key people running the place and apparently the owners son wasnt exactly the most liked person there.

There was something to do with "inappropriate sexual behavior" from what I heard. Don't know all the details but charges could have been brought against him or his dad had enough and he was out.

• Winner
Reactions: cyowan

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I can tell you for a fact that the son does not work there but the ex daughter in law is management.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
So new owners that say they arent going to change a thing. It's even a local investment group run by an ISU alum. Sounds like a big nothing burger to me.

The product and service was good because the old man was there in person watching to make sure it was. If these guys are just investors, it won't be the same after six months.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
I worked there for a while. Son was a jerk. Made lots of inappropriate comments to female waitresses. Belittled cooks all the time. Was appropriately shown the door. I always admired the old man for that. Sad to see it sold. Hope the new owners dont get greedy.

• Winner
Reactions: cyowan

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I worked there for a while. Son was a jerk. Made lots of inappropriate comments to female waitresses. Belittled cooks all the time. Was appropriately shown the door. I always admired the old man for that. Sad to see it sold. Hope the new owners dont get greedy.

This sounds a lot like the stories I've heard. I know of one where the son chewed out an employee in front of customers with no cause, said employee spoke with the owner about the situation when son tried to reprimand him and the owner did not take his sons side in the matter after talking with the rest of the staff that was working at the time.

I hope the new owners dont try to rock the boat with changes and let the current staff and management continue to run it as well as they do.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Wowsers, had to happen sometime, but hopefully the changes won't be too extreme. Because there will be changes though the press release says not.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Gee! From all the comments I now (a) know too much and (b) understand what would have been the the downside of living in a small town!

Reactions: wxman1

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

Yeah he was kind of a prick when I worked there and that makes sense with him running it into the ground. I actually thought his dad owned a few different restaurants and supposedly he’s absolutely loaded. Kind of surprised this didn’t happen sooner because I bet the dad has to be at least in his eighties now if not nineties.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

When’d you work there? I was in the 02-05 timeframe. Can’t say that surprises me about the son.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron