Alex Delton Wins TCU QB Battle

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
He's not a Big XII starting QB.

[edit] Meaning, I don't think he's good enough to start at QB in the Big 12 even though he has been named the starter

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman and Doc

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'd rather my "true" starter see snaps against non-conference opponents before throwing them to the wolves of the Big 12

Agreed which is why Patterson is going to play Duggan in the first quarter. My bet is Duggan plays the second series to test the waters and go from there.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'd rather my "true" starter see snaps against non-conference opponents before throwing them to the wolves of the Big 12

I see it more as Patterson wanting to ease Duggan into it with in-game reps here and there and gradually taking on more.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
If Delton is still starting when we play them, I’m not too worried about TCU’s offense. Heacock would be licking his chops.
We haven't had much trouble stopping TCU the last 3 years we played them. Our offense doing anything against their defense has been another story.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Article on TCU QB position from local paper
https://www.nonpareilonline.com/tow...cle_53bf7412-41db-5f20-802f-ea124c679fd9.html

As others have said here, it sounds like the starter for the season is undetermined yet, and Duggan has done well so far.

Former Lewis Central star quarterback Max Duggan will play Saturday as a true freshman in TCU’s season opener when the Horned Frogs play host to Arkansas Pine-Bluff at 7 p.m. . . .

TCU’s decision to play Duggan didn’t surprise one of his former coaches. Current Lewis Central coach Justin Kammrad, who served as both quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator while Duggan was at L.C, was thrilled for his former QB.

“I am extremely excited,” Kammrad said. “I’ve talked to him about once a week since he’s been down there. I’m excited from the standpoint that he was never given anything. He went down there with some of the best kids from around the country that they’ve recruited, and he basically stuck his nose down and went to work, studied the playbook and understood exactly what the coaches wanted.

“It doesn’t surprise me one bit that he’s in that position. He’s a kid that’s extremely competitive and driven. He understands the game of football and makes good decisions.” ...

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
So TCU defeated their FCS opponent, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 39-7. The TCU QB passing stats from ESPN:

Duggan 16/23, 165 yards, 7.2 avg, 1 TD, 0 INT, 94.4 QBR
Delton 10/22, 119 yards, 5.4 avg, 0 TD, 0 INT, 40.6 QBR

Their running stats:

Duggan 2 carries for -4 yards, 1 TD
Delton 7 carries for 67 yards, 54 longest run

Duggan scored on a 1 yard TD run in the first quarter. I didn’t see it, but he was sacked for a 5 yard loss on his other run. So it was likely a pass attempt. He is dual threat, so perhaps it was like Purdy, and the coaches didn’t want him to run.

After a bye week, TCU plays at Purdue on Sept. 14., and then at home against SMU and KU.

They then play Iowa State in Ames on Oct. 5.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=401112129

FORT WORTH, Texas -- TCU has two weeks before its next game with Purdue, and coach Gary Patterson said that will give everyone the chance to continue all the guessing about who will emerge as the Horned Frogs' primary quarterback.

Not much was decided Saturday night as TCU debuted two quarterbacks in graduate transfer Alex Delton and true freshman Max Duggan. Both were ho-hum in leading TCU to a 39-7 victory over FCS school Arkansas-Pine Bluff in the season opener for both teams.

Delton, who played 14 games with six starts the last two seasons at Kansas State, started but shared time with Duggan.

Delton was more impressive running the ball (67 yards rushing on seven carries) than passing (10 for 22 for 119 yards). Duggan led all three of the Horned Frogs' touchdown drives and finished 16-for-23 passing for 165 yards.

"I thought they stayed pretty composed," said TCU senior receiver TreVontae Hights, who set a career high with eight catches for 108 yards. "Their leadership was great. I feel comfortable with either one of them."

Patterson didn't heap praise on either quarterback, but pointed out that neither threw an interception. TCU didn't make either quarterback available for comment after the win.

Patterson wasn't happy, however, that five TCU drives stalled inside the red zone.

"That was the place I thought we have to get better," he said. "And the best way to get better there is we have to run the football."

Patterson said he could invoke a five-man quarterback competition the next two weeks, joking that he could even move some quarterbacks to safety or nose guard.

But TCU's other three quarterbacks in the mix -- Michael Collins, Justin Rogers and Matthew Baldwin -- aren't likely to pass up either Delton or Duggan. ...

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So TCU defeated their FCS opponent, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 39-7. The TCU QB passing stats from ESPN:

Duggan 16/23, 165 yards, 7.2 avg, 1 TD, 0 INT, 94.4 QBR
Delton 10/22, 119 yards, 5.4 avg, 0 TD, 0 INT, 40.6 QBR

Their running stats:

Duggan 2 carries for -4 yards, 1 TD
Delton 7 carries for 67 yards, 54 longest run

Duggan scored on a 1 yard TD run in the first quarter. I didn’t see it, but he was sacked for a 5 yard loss on his other run. So it was likely a pass attempt. He is dual threat, so perhaps it was like Purdy, and the coaches didn’t want him to run.

After a bye week, TCU plays at Purdue on Sept. 14., and then at home against SMU and KU.

They then play Iowa State in Ames on Oct. 5.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=401112129
I have no doubt now that Duggan will be the starter when we play them. Wondering how fast some of those other quarterbacks transfer out—including the kid from tOSU.

As far as Duggan being a dual threat, I did notice that as a junior (since he graduated early) he and Darien Porter had some very similar 400m times. Looked like the two were fairly evenly matched at Drake and the State meet. Yep, he’s that fast.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I have no doubt now that Duggan will be the starter when we play them. Wondering how fast some of those other quarterbacks transfer out—including the kid from tOSU.

As far as Duggan being a dual threat, I did notice that as a junior (since he graduated early) he and Darien Porter had some very similar 400m times. Looked like the two were fairly evenly matched at Drake and the State meet. Yep, he’s that fast.
On dual threat aspect, from my first link above:

Duggan was named the Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year after his senior season at L.C. last fall. The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder threw for 2,130 yards and 24 touchdowns and added 1,223 rushing yards and 25 scores on just 113 carries, leading the Titans to an 11-1 record and a spot in Class 3-A state semifinals.

If I recall correctly, he was hurt and sat a game or two at the beginning of that year. And late in the season, there may have been speculation whether he was fully healed. As such things go, I guess, especially as a top recruit. Duggan’s father coached him at Lewis Central, and before that, he coached Jake Waters at St. Albert. Waters later played for IWCC (which included a national JUCO title) and at K-State. And, of course, Waters was later a graduate assistant at ISU.

I’m glad we signed Purdy when we did, right after Waters left. It seemed then that Duggan could go about anywhere he wanted, after his recruiting blew up his junior year. It could have been ISU, but there was little reason then to believe Iowa State had an edge among the many suitors.

It will be interesting to see what happens here, and in the game with TCU.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

No, they were not.