Friday OT - Back-To-School Edition

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So many area public schools are going back to school today, and ISU classes start Monday.

What was your favorite year in all of school? What happened to make it enjoyable/eventful?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Freshman year at ISU. Dated a few girls in the fall. Met my first real love right before Thanksgiving. Got involved with the (now defunct I understand) ISU Mountaineering Club. Joined the ISU Judo club taught by Dr. Pak. Got above a 3.0 both semesters. Met some really good friends that I still stay in contact with today (35 or so years later). Discovered Johnny Orr basketball. Just fell absolutely in love with the campus.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Last semester of ISU. I had found my groove, pretty much had a job locked down that I wanted and was in great physical shape, everything was great and all I had to do was make it through 16 weeks.

I graduated in December hence why the last semester

Reactions: Angie

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Senior year of college was pretty fun. Had a light course load due to busting my ass the prior three years, was in class/living with my BFF, teacher's pet with half my professors, confidence that I knew what I was doing - it was just a fun year. Think I finally had a perfect 4.0 year, too.

• Winner
Reactions: SCyclone and Angie

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Senior year of high school. Played baseball in year round leagues and we made it to state. Classes were easy. People were chill. College was on the horizon. So fun.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I thought this would be simple, but some years were a mixed-bag, so my impulse best-of choices aren't as clear-cut as they appear.

But without overthinking it.
* Pre-college: Eighth grade. A sweet-spot position, sort of king-of-the-hill grade, prior to high school, did well in all sports, good year academically, felt confident socially and among peers.

At ISU:
* Spring semester, sophomore year. Manageable class load (and did well GPA-wise), beginning to get exposed to a lot of new music.
* Spring semester, senior year (I didn't graduate until fall -- 4 1/2 year student) ... was close enough to full credits for my major, and had a couple of "punt" classes that were either complete the core requirements or they were electives. Personal life was good; had gotten the only single-unit on our dorm floor (secured it through a random draw among five of us with residence hall "seniority.") That semester that brings me the strongest college nostalgia.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Pre-college probably 3rd grade. Had a great teacher and just seem to remember that being a year I enjoyed school a lot. That same teacher came to my wedding and her and her husband wound up being the longest married couple and gave us the advice of "never go to bed angry." Pretty cool moment.

At ISU definitely was my freshman year. Had a great group of guys on my floor that every year after that I don't think any group of guys on the floors I lived on matched the great balance of personalities and fun we had.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Tie between my Freshman and Senior years of college.

I don't think you'll ever replace that feeling of newfound independence you have your freshman year. Developed a good group of friends with common interests and we had a hell of a good time.

By my last semester of my senior year I'd already been accepted into the graduate school I wanted to go to, and my course load was laughably easy. I had an awesome job that paid pretty well and never involved nights or weekends. Between the easy courseload, the low incentive to do well, some free time and a group of friends who knew it was the last "hoorah" of-sorts, it wound up being a real good time.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Probably senior year of HS. Already had the paperwork in to go to ISU at the beginning of the year so the rest of the year was a breeze. Had a good GF at the time and a great group of friends. Just an all around enjoyable farewell tour.

Had lots of good years at ISU. Junior or Senior were probably the best, but my only regret is that I never let my self have an easy year or semester. I did the combined BS/MS program in engineering. So, I got to double-count credits from both degrees. So, instead of having that easy final semester, I was taking graduate courses. I had a lot of fun at ISU, but I should've had even more.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Pre-college: 2nd grade. I was a beast in kickball.....a friggin beast I tell ya.

Otherwise, my first two summers at ISU.

1st summer: I went straight out of high school and absolutely couldn't wait to get away. I met a bunch of friends, cruised through a couple classes, played a ton of sand volleyball, partied a lot, met a girl and won an intramural shirt.

2nd summer: I took a 5 credit stat class and golf. Crushed both. Worked a couple jobs and actually had some money to spend, played a ton of sand volleyball, partied a lot more, met a better girl (later married her), and met even more great people.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Looking back probably junior year of HS cause i was very involved in everything and we were decent to good in everything. Senior year not so much.

College was easily senior year. Didn’t have to worry about grades much by that point

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Last semester at undergrad.
I had hit it really hard the previous 3 years and was just finishing off gen ed courses and more interesting senior courses. Research projects the previous 2 summers had paid off and a first author publication became a reality. My GRE scores along with my research earned an invitation to ISU for grad school and ultimately an acceptance and full ride to a PhD program with a research position.
Personally, I also got engaged. Great times.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron