***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Can't you come off the IR halfway through the season? I have no idea what an avulsion fracture is or how long it takes to recover.
I did a quick Google, and it's when a tendon or ligament tears away from the bone. Sounds like it doesn't feel too good

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Can't you come off the IR halfway through the season? I have no idea what an avulsion fracture is or how long it takes to recover.

Google tells me that an avulsion fracture is where a chunk of bone attached to a tendon or ligament gets pulled away from the main part of the bone.

So that doesn't sound like fun, but it also seems like it's something that will heal itself with rest and rarely requires surgery.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure on the length of recovery but as was mentioned above the team is probably not all that sad about this. They had some hard roster decisions coming at WR so this way they can "redshirt" Butler for the year as he probably wasn't going to play that much anyways and then they don't have to "waste" an active roster spot on him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Can't you come off the IR halfway through the season?

It's funny because I was just talking about that in a different conversation with someone else about a different player. In order for him to be eligible to return from IR this season he first has to count against the 53 man roster. A player placed on IR before the roster is cut to 53 cannot play for the same team that season and he can't practice with the team but he can attend team meetings and be around the team. The NFL allows each team to have as many as two players who are put on IR to return after eight weeks, but the player must first be part of the 53.

It would suck for Butler if he couldn't practice once the injury heals because it sounds like he needs the reps.

• Informative
Reactions: Bigman38

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
It's funny because I was just talking about that in a different conversation with someone else about a different player. In order for him to be eligible to return from IR this season he first has to count against the 53 man roster. A player placed on IR before the roster is cut to 53 cannot play for the same team that season and he can't practice with the team but he can attend team meetings and be around the team. The NFL allows each team to have as many as two players who are put on IR to return after eight weeks, but the player must first be part of the 53.

It would suck for Butler if he couldn't practice once the injury heals because it sounds like he needs the reps.

Need more clarification on what "practice with the team" entails. Does that preclude him working out with staff people or with other players unofficially? Surely they've got ways of getting him reps with somebody, right?

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Need more clarification on what "practice with the team" entails. Does that preclude him working out with staff people or with other players unofficially? Surely they've got ways of getting him reps with somebody, right?

Good question. I would assume that it means that he can't participate in team or individual drills with coaches but maybe he can work out on the side with trainers or other staff.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I remember reading an article on this subject, way back when, when Chad Greenway was drafted by the Vikings, got hurt in a preseason game, and spent the year on IR. Now, that was under the old CBA, so it might be different now, but he talked about how he didn't even feel like he was part of the team. Wasn't allowed to attend practice. Basically came in every day, got checked out by the doctors, and did his rehab, but was fairly separated from the rest of the team.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I remember reading an article on this subject, way back when, when Chad Greenway was drafted by the Vikings, got hurt in a preseason game, and spent the year on IR. Now, that was under the old CBA, so it might be different now, but he talked about how he didn't even feel like he was part of the team. Wasn't allowed to attend practice. Basically came in every day, got checked out by the doctors, and did his rehab, but was fairly separated from the rest of the team.

It might be the same now, although I suspect it has less to do with the CBA and more to do with the normal culture of an NFL team. Under the rules a player can't participate in practice but they can be in the facility and around the team. Which is fine in theory, but you might as well staple a scarlet letter to their team issued gear. Nobody wants to hang out with the guy who blew out his knee or tore a quad muscle or something in August when they're trying to win games in October. They don't want to be reminded of what could happen at any moment. And the injured player doesn't really feel like a part of it even if his teammates want him around. All he gets is to be reminded that he's injured and doesn't get to play.

I've heard the same stories about injured players feeling isolated and/or depressed. A lot of the time it's the rehab that's the toughest part and not the actual injury because with the rehab you're pretty much on your own.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Does Butler still get paid? I know there's more to life than money, but this is sort of like his profession and stuff.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Does Butler still get paid? I know there's more to life than money, but this is sort of like his profession and stuff.

Yes. If he goes on season ending IR then he still counts against the cap and receives his weekly game check.

I think that in theory he could still be cut or waived from IR but he would have to pass a physical first or he and the team would have to reach an injury settlement agreement (not 100% sure on that and I don't think they'd cut him anyway).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-gets-one-year-deal-worth-up-to-5-5-million/

Michael Crabtree signed with the Cardinals after they cut Kevin White. I don't know how, if at all, this affects Butler's status. I guess it's encouraging that they haven't moved him to season-ending IR yet. They must be at least considering keeping him on the 53 and then either leaving him inactive on game days or moving him to the IR - Designated for Return list.

• Informative
Reactions: IASTATE07

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron