Why isn't gas mileage improving for new vehicles?

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Two things to add. E85 even with half the BTUs is capable of far better mileage. However, it would require a much higher compression engine to take advantage of it's properties which would make it incompatible with gasoline. They're working on variable compression engines. If they ever figure it out, it would be a game changer.

The other is that variable cylinder technology, turbos, and other things which have added marginal efficiency to economy thus far have been sadly unreliable. Things which were almost a thing of the past such as oil consumption are now commonplace again. Any money that has been saved in fuel economy has been wasted in long term repair costs. And I would argue wasted at an exponential level.

Oh, and one more thing. Honda's are designed for a 20 year/200k lifecycle. I would assume most cars today are. But this extra crap on them is not helping reliability one bit.

I would figure 200K miles to be less than 10 years of life.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
In Europe, most cars are run on diesel fuel. And the vehicles far more fuel efficient. In Ireland, I rented a luxury wagon that got over 40mpg. Diesel is less expensive than gas there. Fuel prices in Ireland were around the $6/gal mark when I was there.
I assume Ireland uses imperial gallons like the UK? If so keep in mind those gallons are 20% larger than US gallons. Their cars are still more fuel efficient, but not as much as it appears if you are comparing our MPG to their MPG.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I have a Toyota Camry Hybrid that gets around 45 mpg. I believe Toyota is actually made in the USA. I love it so much that it’s hard to imagine buying anything else in the future.
For as bad as I want another car next, this sounds great...or a Honda Accord. Tesla would be great if they didn't cost so stinking much.

Reactions: Halincandenza

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I assume Ireland uses imperial gallons like the UK? If so keep in mind those gallons are 20% larger than US gallons. Their cars are still more fuel efficient, but not as much as it appears if you are comparing our MPG to their MPG.
I thought everything was liters in Europe.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I thought everything was liters in Europe.
I think the mainland does, but the poster I quoted was in Ireland and mentioned MPG. The UK uses MPG (Imperial Gallons), but I wasn't sure about Ireland. Perhaps it was in Liters and he/she converted it to gallons for us, but that why I asked.

Reactions: 2speedy1

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I will never understand why people buy such low mpg vehicles. It just seems like a complete waste of money to me.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan92

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I will never understand why people buy such low mpg vehicles. It just seems like a complete waste of money to me.
Depends on what you need or use them for. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of buying a Prius for your use. And sometimes people just want to drive a Camaro instead of a Leaf.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Just like leasing, amirite?
Speaking of, I'm trying to decide if leasing makes more sense for me, as someone who's just enough of an a**hole to enjoy new, fancy cars every 2/3 years.

Problem is if/when I ever stop leasing, I've got nothing left over. Buying outright from there.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A truck makes sense. I use it for work, and most guys that are resourceful like to have the option to haul things. An SUV is more about comfort than it is efficiency.

I am all for every truck owner who actually uses their truck for its designed purpose. Haul ****, put stuff in the truck bed, and let me borrow it when I need to move something.
What grinds my gears is when Joe Schmo, who's never hauled a thing in his life, or put more than groceries in his truck bed, has to have a giant quad cab truck and get 12 MPG. It's not made to be a commuter car. You shouldn't drive ONE person to work in a giant truck. It's not economically or environmentally a good idea.

I have a mini van, because I need it to haul my kids and all their crap around. I drive a small hybrid to work, mostly because I would hate having to fill up the mini van that often. I get good enough mileage in my car that I only have to fill up once every few weeks.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I am all for every truck owner who actually uses their truck for its designed purpose. Haul ****, put stuff in the truck bed, and let me borrow it when I need to move something.
What grinds my gears is when Joe Schmo, who's never hauled a thing in his life, or put more than groceries in his truck bed, has to have a giant quad cab truck and get 12 MPG. It's not made to be a commuter car. You shouldn't drive ONE person to work in a giant truck. It's not economically or environmentally a good idea.

I have a mini van, because I need it to haul my kids and all their crap around. I drive a small hybrid to work, mostly because I would hate having to fill up the mini van that often. I get good enough mileage in my car that I only have to fill up once every few weeks.

What does it matter? There's no purpose for a motorcycle or a sports car either. If you want a truck.. buy a truck. It's their money

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'd like a liter of cola

"Litre is French for give me some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lip"

Jvj9Xcu.gif

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Speaking of, I'm trying to decide if leasing makes more sense for me, as someone who's just enough of an a**hole to enjoy new, fancy cars every 2/3 years.

Problem is if/when I ever stop leasing, I've got nothing left over. Buying outright from there.
If you're going to keep the vehicle for more than 3 years, buy it...otherwise, leasing basically costs the same as buying and then selling at the 3 year point. You only pay for the depreciation along with the rent charge. Plus, with leasing you get the bonus of the latest vehicle and safety features...this often includes improved gas mileage.

I've done plenty of leases and outright buys...no doubt that buying outright and keeping for 5 years or more costs way less than leasing.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Yeah we have a mini van for the family, but I bought a crew cab truck in case I needed to haul the family, especially in the winter, or when hauling or pulling a trailer, although I decided to buy an all wheel drive Toyota Sienna because of the winter and country roads.

But I always have had a "work car" usually a Honda civic 5 speed, or similar for commuting to maximize gas mileage while not spending too much up front. Because I always had long commutes. The truck could sit for months sometimes, and not get moved.