Travel Tips: Glacier National Park

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
From where I live it is 12 hours to Montana and 12 hours then another 12 hours to my home in Iowa. Did you drive all interstate in Montana. Or did you take the 212 "shortcut"? Going up the east side of Flathead Lake instead of the west and the 212 shortcut through Broadus are both very scenic and the 212 is very different , American Bison type country.
And I did take that shortcut off of I 90 on the way back through south east Montana. Man there is nothing out there. Wouldn’t wanna take that route in the winter but it does save time.

Cyvilian

Apr 15, 2006
My bucket list has a week in the Bob Marshall wilderness.

Bob Marshall Wilderness is an amazing place. I did a week plus there and just did one 50 mile route. You could spend a year/s there and probably not see all of it. I'd love to go back.

Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks for all the info. Got back at 8 this morning after driving through the night. Took 12 hours just to get out of Montana.

That place is ridiculously big, beautiful, and surreal all in one. It doesn’t even look like real life. It’s like a scene from avatar or something. I didn’t even get over to many glacier or two medicine. It’s not something that can be done in a week. Especially with crowds, traffic and construction. Would have thoughts on navigating that for anyone interested.

I did see a grizzly on the high line trail about 7AM. The big bastard was just walking right down the trail. I jumped in the trees we could find with a group and started singing. Worked and he veered off. Hell of an experience. The son of a ***** was 10 yards from me at its closest point. Wasn’t even a full grown one.

Lake McDonald has got to be the coolest lake in the US or one of them. Huckleberries r good but somewhat overrated. The people out there are great and they love their football. Had more convos with locals about uni football than the clones because of U of Montana.

All in all amazing place.

Fun you saw a grizzly and sounds like you took the right steps.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Thanks for all the info. Got back at 8 this morning after driving through the night. Took 12 hours just to get out of Montana.

That place is ridiculously big, beautiful, and surreal all in one. It doesn’t even look like real life. It’s like a scene from avatar or something. I didn’t even get over to many glacier or two medicine. It’s not something that can be done in a week. Especially with crowds, traffic and construction. Would have thoughts on navigating that for anyone interested.

I did see a grizzly on the high line trail about 7AM. The big bastard was just walking right down the trail. I jumped in the trees we could find with a group and star

I did see a grizzly on the high line trail about 7AM. The big bastard was just walking right down the trail. I jumped in the trees we could find with a group and started singing. Worked and he veered off. Hell of an experience. The son of a ***** was 10 yards from me at its closest point. Wasn’t even a full grown one.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/no-clues-in-search-for-missing-man-in-glacier-national-park

Glacier National Park officials say there has been no sign of a 66-year-old man who's been missing for over a week, and the trail where he was last seen is closed because of grizzly bear activity.

The Highline Trail has been temporarily closed after a young grizzly bear charged visitors and wandered close to search teams this weekend.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
  • Agree
Reactions: farm85

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
The bears are no joke out there. I was charged by a mamma grizzely with 2 cubs doing gun sight pass last month.

Help Support Us

Become a patron