May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
764e93c24eb9f884ae6a51f441f4da01--kool-aid-man-cave.jpg

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
"Most highly anticipated in history" has a risk to it.

I think it's justified, but do agree with your statement. Hopefully the fans don't all melt down if we win 7 or 8 games though. Because in the grand scheme of the history of the program, that's actually really good for Cyclone football.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There is simply a lot of reasons to be excited about this team. Defensively they are going to be very good, without question. Offensively, it would be great to have Montgomery and Butler back, but the coaches have recruited pretty well at those positions and having an OC like Manning back in the fold will help a lot. Bring on the Kool-Aid, extra strong mix!

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Always amazes me that these type of articles seldom, if ever, mention the upcoming strengths/weaknesses of the opposition.

That would be a pretty long article...

But if you'd like to get acquainted, I'm sure you can find some information on the opposition's boards.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
"...Iowa State’s largest margin of defeat over its last 26 games is 14 to Texas last year. Oklahoma and Iowa own 10 point wins over them during that stretch as does Texas. ...
However, each of those games could have been classified as “big” games with season-making implications. ..."

I agree; that's why I'm gonna consider all 12-games our "SuperBowl", including Iowa - don't wanna go 0-4 vs them in CMC era.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
There is simply a lot of reasons to be excited about this team. Defensively they are going to be very good, without question. Offensively, it would be great to have Montgomery and Butler back, but the coaches have recruited pretty well at those positions and having an OC like Manning back in the fold will help a lot. Bring on the Kool-Aid, extra strong mix!

This team at least defensively will have the ability to absorb a few injuries better than almost 100% of past ISU teams. we Have that going for us.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My big questions:

How much was the defensive line helped last year by outstanding coverage? Can it return the favor this year for the relatively inexperienced secondary this year?

Can Purdy spread it around without that one huge bailout option streaking down field, and can the young backs keep the pressure off him by being productive both in rushing and blocking?

I think the answer to those questions will be positive, but if we see some struggles here and there, it would not surprise me to see them come from these uncertainties.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
My big questions:

How much was the defensive line helped last year by outstanding coverage? Can it return the favor this year for the relatively inexperienced secondary this year?

Can Purdy spread it around without that one huge bailout option streaking down field, and can the young backs keep the pressure off him by being productive both in rushing and blocking?

I think the answer to those questions will be positive, but if we see some struggles here and there, it would not surprise me to see them come from these uncertainties.

For some reason, I'm not as concerned about the secondary as a lot of fans are. There are 3 really good options at safety, and the DB, while being young, were very good when call on to play last year. Young looks like a stud/lockdown guy in waiting.

Running back worries me the most. DM was just such a good back in terms of running, blocking and getting the extra yard. Not sure ISU has anyone that can do all those things. Croney seems like a good runner/blocker at times, but lacks speed. Also tends to get lost on his blocking assignments. Still hoping that Kene will have a breakout year. No matter what, the OL HAS to get better.

Butler was a stud most of the time, but there are still some guys that can make plays at the WR position and I look for the TEs to take some of that production over. Kolar is another player that looks like he is going to be an NFL guy if he continues to improve.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
For some reason, I'm not as concerned about the secondary as a lot of fans are. There are 3 really good options at safety, and the DB, while being young, were very good when call on to play last year. Young looks like a stud/lockdown guy in waiting.

Running back worries me the most. DM was just such a good back in terms of running, blocking and getting the extra yard. Not sure ISU has anyone that can do all those things. Croney seems like a good runner/blocker at times, but lacks speed. Also tends to get lost on his blocking assignments. Still hoping that Kene will have a breakout year. No matter what, the OL HAS to get better.

Butler was a stud most of the time, but there are still some guys that can make plays at the WR position and I look for the TEs to take some of that production over. Kolar is another player that looks like he is going to be an NFL guy if he continues to improve.

I wouldn't say I am concerned, as there is a lot of young talent, but it's not likely to be as strong as it was last year, at least not early on.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think it's justified, but do agree with your statement. Hopefully the fans don't all melt down if we win 7 or 8 games though. Because in the grand scheme of the history of the program, that's actually really good for Cyclone football.

Give me 7 or 8 wins and as long as most or any losses were at least competitive it's a good season.

It's not like EVERYONE is back so there will be some things to work through but so far the most fun part of CMC's tenure is seeing the teams' develop and improve especially from week 1 to October.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26