MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Rockies get a sweep of Arizona on the road and it's 8 in a row against them road and home. Thankfully if there is a worse closer than Wade Davis it's the guy rocking the closer role for Arizona in Greg Holland.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watching Yanks/Astros and it got me wondering how many games have been delayed, postponed or played in the rain this year. Damn, seems like it rains in half the games I watch.

Yanks took a 6-0 lead in the bottom of the 4th on three homers and than the tarps came out. Think it's going to be a late late night in NY, again.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Classy reception for Albert Pujols last night from St. Louis fans. Even classier reaction when he homered today. Tip of the hat to them considering that some of the nicest guys and best players in the league are routinely boo'd on the road.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Classy reception for Albert Pujols last night from St. Louis fans. Even classier reaction when he homered today. Tip of the hat to them considering that some of the nicest guys and best players in the league are routinely boo'd on the road.

I was there for today's game and yesterday's. You could just feel he was hitting one out this weekend. Was just a great atmosphere all around.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
DJ LeMahieu continuing his career year.

.322 BA 10 HR 51 RBI heading to halfway point next week

Only guy who could hit Verlander today.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

As a Cards fan, I was fine with the extended ovation for his first AB. But I draw the line at cheering for his HR and a curtain call. After you get your ovation, you’re back to being the opponent again and I want to kick your ass on the field.

Albert gave us tons of great memories, four WS appearances, and two titles. But he also chose to leave because he said STL didn’t embrace him enough. I wonder if he’ll get the same ovation if he wears an LAA hat in the HOF.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Albert gave us tons of great memories, four WS appearances, and two titles. But he also chose to leave because he said STL didn’t embrace him enough....

Don't remember the details, but did the Cardinals offer him the same money as the Angels? Is money what you mean by embracing?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Don't remember the details, but did the Cardinals offer him the same money as the Angels? Is money what you mean by embracing?

Cards offered very similar money. I seem to recall they offered the same average annual value, but maybe 8 yrs instead of 10? LAA also gave him a post-playing contract for something like $1m/yr for 10 more years.

The big rub to me, and all cards fans, was that Pujols’ explanation for why he chose LAA over STL was that the LAA “embraced” him more and “felt more like a family to me” than STL. Which, to cards fans, is total BS. Even if his last 8 years had gone as so-so as his years in LA have gone, the dude would be the king of STL and the face of the cardinals for generations to come. It was just a way for him to justify going to LAA.

It’s a lot like Hoiberg and ISU. He could’ve cemented his legacy as the greatest Cardinal of all time. Instead he chose to leave and became just a guy who had some great years here.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As a Cards fan, I was fine with the extended ovation for his first AB. But I draw the line at cheering for his HR and a curtain call. After you get your ovation, you’re back to being the opponent again and I want to kick your ass on the field.

Albert gave us tons of great memories, four WS appearances, and two titles. But he also chose to leave because he said STL didn’t embrace him enough. I wonder if he’ll get the same ovation if he wears an LAA hat in the HOF.

I can get that. At least the Cards won the homer game, standing O for a homer that beat you would be bad from a Cards perspective.

BTW, as a Yankee fan I am almost over Bob Gibson and the 1964 World Series. Almost. Just need a little more time. At least Mantle homered.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Angels/Cards

Luis Rengifo

Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away
You know the nearer your destination
The more you're slip slidin' away

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The big rub to me, and all cards fans, was that Pujols’ explanation for why he chose LAA over STL was that the LAA “embraced” him more and “felt more like a family to me” than STL. Which, to cards fans, is total BS

Agree, the 'family' comment is a little over the top. Not a Cardinals fan, but St. Louis is one the best, if not the best, baseball town in the Bigs.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Agree, the 'family' comment is a little over the top. Not a Cardinals fan, but St. Louis is one the best, if not the best, baseball town in the Bigs.

Yeah, if he had just had said it was about making the most money possible, there would’ve been less drama. But he talked a bunch about how the LAA organization really felt like a family to him. To say that after the way the city treated him his whole career was complete BS.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
BTW, as a Yankee fan I am almost over Bob Gibson and the 1964 World Series. Almost. Just need a little more time. At least Mantle homered.

Hey, you got Johnny Keane out of the deal (I can't claim to know why it happened, but it did).

Remember Frank Miller's (cartoonist) criteria for an official world series?

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Yeah, if he had just had said it was about making the most money possible, there would’ve been less drama. But he talked a bunch about how the LAA organization really felt like a family to him. To say that after the way the city treated him his whole career was complete BS.
I'm not sure his treatment by management was the same as what he was getting from the city. It the end, I think it worked out. He's still one of the greats. He's still respected. I'm not bitter over it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Is there an umpire worse than Angel Hernandez is behind the plate? He's untouchable because he cries racial discrimination at any hint of critical assessment but it still remains that he sucks horsehide and stitches as an ump.