OT: Is Toy Story the best movie franchise ever?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I find that a lot of times a third movie gets irrationally bashed.

For a while even The Last Crusade got bashed like it wasn't good, now it's mostly considered the second best and the best by some.

Which is crazy to me because in order of quality that trilogy certainly goes 1, 3, 2.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
This is a hard discussion. While some duds, it is hard to compare Toy Story to a franchise that had such cultural impact and legacy as the James Bond, Star Trek, and Star Wars franchises.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyrocks

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
All 3 Blair Witch movies having been a blast IMO. Blair Witch is my 2nd all time favorite movie, but not in terms of a franchise. Just enjoyable

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Rocky: A
Rocky 2: A
Rocky 3: B+ (Big bump for unintentional comedy)
Rocky 4: A (Same on unintentional comedy)
Rocky 5: (Mentally Blocked It)
Rocky Balboa: (Too much Rocky 5 PTSD, didn't watch)
Creed: A++++ (one of my favorite sports movies)
Creed 2: (haven't seen yet)

I've been wondering about Creed 2! It's just hard to find 2 1/2 hours to commit lol.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
This is a hard discussion. While some duds, it is hard to compare Toy Story to a franchise that had such cultural impact and legacy as the James Bond, Star Trek, and Star Wars franchises.

Totally forgot about the Bond movies (Goldfinger is the best)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Actual good movies. The Toy Story series is without a doubt filled with quality material. The enjoyability factor for me has a higher ceiling with the horror franchises. That being said I have a 3 months old and is our only kid, so I'm sure this will change with time haha.

Fair enough, but are any of the Halloweens, Friday the 13ths considered good after the OG? Halloween had a couple of good ones, and the OG Friday the 13th might be underrated for being low budget, and I always considered the Nightmare more about the legend than the actual movie (although the upside down bed scene was badass), but their sequels....just not sure.

Certainly good in the random Bish movie type of enjoyment though.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
After End Game I think the Avengers and all the other tie ins in the MCU should count and as a whole make up the best franchise in cinematic history. I dont think it's close. It really is incredible what they accomplished and truly unique in cinema. And I am an unabashed Star Wars fanboy.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That wasn't a real shark :confused:?

I don't mind the occasional CGI, but when you have entire (long) scenes where it's almost all CGI, I get a bit tired of it.

I'd actually consider the Jaws franchise as good if they would have ended on 3 because it's one of those 'so bad but I love it' types.

There's times when CGI works great and is necessary for the movie to give its effects, like The Avengers, but what gives the OG Jaws its effectiveness is its use of effects without CGI.

And those old terrible B movies wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable if it wasn't bad costumes.

*recently I watched a newer huge HD tv with different pixels, and it was crazy how terrible the CGI stuff looked on movies that it actually originally looked decent in like Men In Black and Jurrasic Park.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Does anyone have kids who were terrified by parts of Toy Story 3? I love it but it seemed surprisingly dark at times and I can just imagine kids crying in a theater.

I mean I loved Empire Strikes Back as a young kid even though Darth Vader scared the crap out of my at age 4 or so. Especially that cave part.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Does anyone have kids who were terrified by parts of Toy Story 3? I love it but it seemed surprisingly dark at times and I can just imagine kids crying in a theater.

I mean I loved Empire Strikes Back as a young kid even though Darth Vader scared the crap out of my at age 4 or so. Especially that cave part.

Saw TS 4 today and the dolls in the antique store were creepy as F.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Rocky movies? Where do they rank?

My opinion, first three great. After that, not so great
I thought Rocky 4 was the best.
Rocky 5 is by far the worst.
All others fall someplace in between, with a couple either tied or right behind 4.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was wondering how much Key and Peele wrote for their parts...some of the sequences and such seemed right up their alley.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron